14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

7 hours ago, Denim said:

Agreed.

I think it was only last year when they tried to make it illegal to ride in the open back of a truck. Then it was muted to at least limit the numbers.

Both these attempts to save lives met with wide public complaints and were scrapped.

Here we see why this legislation is necessary and yet will not happen.

Tragic but unavoidable without law and police enforcement.

a weak populist government afriad to enact basic, common sense legislation to prevent unnecessary deaths and injuries on the roads. and even if the law was enacted it's highly likely the unprofessional, lazy and corrupt police force would enforce it. such is life here. part of being content here is kowing i can leave at any moment to a place were human life is valued.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jvs said:

And after a week?Back to normal?

Funny you should say that. Tomorrow is Monday and that will flush the irresponsible Ministerial grubs out into the open.

There will be great hand wringing and outpourings of ministerial grief. Also statements about the big impact of the road toll on the GDP. That's all they think about is money. Callous money driven pricks they are. 

Just a week or so ago we had D Day road safety and since then the road toll has surged. Death on the roads seems an acceptable part of Thai life. What a sorry country!

5 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

A simple improvement would be for them (Police) to work after 5pm instead of them drinking & driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago, I brought a  friend to the local police station late in the evening. Some guys on duty sat there, had some chicken and drank whiskey.

All were drunk and we left again. Nobody was in the mood to stand up. 

Even "our city" is quite dangerous at night, my wife was followed by a guy who wore a mask when her motorbike broke down.

The guy then disappeared when I showed up. No country for single women? I find it hard to believe that police officers are mainly there to collect some Bakschisch, but never there when you need them. 

These young guys were victims of a government that doesn't do anything that would be important for its people. In the end, you've got to start at the top. 

A fish rots from the head down. 

12 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

A few years ago, I brought a  friend to the local police station late in the evening. Some guys on duty sat there, had some chicken and drank whiskey.

All were drunk and we left again. Nobody was in the mood to stand up. 

Even "our city" is quite dangerous at night, my wife was followed by a guy who wore a mask when her motorbike broke down.

The guy then disappeared when I showed up. No country for single women? I find it hard to believe that police officers are mainly there to collect some Bakschisch, but never there when you need them. 

These young guys were victims of a government that doesn't do anything that would be important for its people. In the end, you've got to start at the top. 

A fish rots from the head down. 

I think most of us with the slightest amount of intelligence understands what is needed, requires to be done to start reducing the out of control road deaths, but then - farangs don't understand ???????? 

15 minutes ago, neek said:

That is a horrible thing to say and displays a complete disregard for the context of the incident.  Shame on you.
I know people die from crashes when riding in the back of a truck on a daily basis here, but to state that they died because they chose to do this is saying they wanted to die.  This is abhorrent.
People in Thailand generally have to ride in the back of a pickup for monetary reasons.  It's cheap.  These victims are not in control, yet, of their monetary wealth.  Other victims such as labourours are also not in control of their options, and take what they can get.  They are forced into dangerous situations and hope things will work out well, because the alternative is no work, no pay, starvation and death, as there are plenty of others who will take that risk instead of them and the labour shortage is solved.  Yay, capitalism!
Your comment, as it stands, shows a significant disregard for the reality of the situation.
Peace ????

NO! Again this comes down to complete and utter apathy on behalf of the Thais....18 people in a pick up!!! Under no circumstances whatsoever is that due to having no other choice...they could afford a huge night on the pesh...but not a taxi home? 

What also of the complete lack lack of a public transport network that could get them home safely that will never happen because of corruption and money being wasted on other nonsense...who did their families vote for? What are they doing about the clear and obvious injustices (far greater than any that the Hong Kong people are subject to)?

18 people in a pick up in Bangkok with no other choice because of poverty.,,,sorry, that is ridiculous and completely incorrect.

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

No.

They died because of a stupid drunk driver.

They died because their parents and teachers never told them about the dangers of riding in the back of a truck.

Thanks. It hurts to read posts that all Thais are stupid, and others even blamed the unfortunate victims for being selfish?

The parents couldn't tell them what just happened because they went through the same educational system, nor could their teachers, for the same reason.

What really annoys me is the arrogance and ignorance of some people who just don't understand that our "common sense" has developed totally differently to people who grew up and sitting on the top of Songtaews on their way to school and back was normal for them.

Often also the only possible way to "get to a better school," not even knowing, or even thinking about what would happen if the driver has to hit the brakes. 

For many students the only possible alternative to get to a school, by the way. Their teachers ride on their motorbikes without a helmet, nor are they using a seatbelt in their car.

Shouldn't they be the ones who must set an example for them on how to do things in a way that no life-threatening situations can occur and educate them about the dangers on the roads?

But no, the students have to get down on their knees when they want to talk to these holy teachers. That is something that has to be changed? How can somebody have respect for such people? 

Having a different "common sense", developed in hundreds of years doesn't make people stupid, and it's ridiculous to read that the victims of this ugly accident are partly blamed for something they had nothing to do with.

All they wanted was to get back home after working one year for a company which is part of their college education, the practical part. 

None of them in the back drove too fast, and I'm confident that some of them weren't happy about the speeding driver.

But they didn't have a chance, neither to stop the car nor to prevent the accident from happening.

There must have been some adults involved, where were they? If there were teachers at the Morlam event, they are the ones to blame to let drunk drivers load their pick up full with human beings to get them back to Sisaket which is a long ride.                      

Perhaps some of these people writing some very negative things about the poor victims of such a tragic accident might experience the loss of a family member, or good friend in the future and will then understand how wrong they were with their assumptions. 

People get drunk, especially at a Morlam event, but an adult should have monitored them and prevented them from letting a drunk guy drive. But sh_t happens and it does all the time.

I feel so sorry for the relatives and friends of these poor boys who had to die. Let's hope that they do change the law now that his will never happen again in such a dimension.

RIP, my deepest condolences to the families and friends. 

39 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

NO! Again this comes down to complete and utter apathy on behalf of the Thais....18 people in a pick up!!! Under no circumstances whatsoever is that due to having no other choice...they could afford a huge night on the pesh...but not a taxi home? 

What also of the complete lack lack of a public transport network that could get them home safely that will never happen because of corruption and money being wasted on other nonsense...who did their families vote for? What are they doing about the clear and obvious injustices (far greater than any that the Hong Kong people are subject to)?

18 people in a pick up in Bangkok with no other choice because of poverty.,,,sorry, that is ridiculous and completely incorrect.

they could afford a huge night on the pesh...but not a taxi home? 

What's wrong with people like you? Did you know that they wanted to drive back to Sisaket which is a six hour trip? In a taxi a fortune. 

You can't even get a train or bus at night and I don't think that the victims wanted to have a drunk and speeding driver.

We don't know all the details, there might have been other drivers who've left earlier and they saw that truck as the only vehicle to get back home?

They wanted to get home to their loved ones, but a tragic accident killed them and destroyed many families. 

This didn't happen because of poverty, a drunk and speeding driver had caused the terrible accident. 

For <deleted> sake! In this day and age people shouldn't be transported in the back of pickups!!!! These vehicles were not designed to transport humans. 

What a terrible loss of so many young lives... R.I.P. 

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

Spot on.

Although this is a sensetive topic I think you've summed it up well

they could afford a huge night on the pesh...but not a taxi home? 

What's wrong with people like you? Did you know that they wanted to drive back to Sisaket which is a six hour trip? In a taxi a fortune. 

You can't even get a train or bus at night and I don't think that the victims wanted to have a drunk and speeding driver.

We don't know all the details, there might have been other drivers who've left earlier and they saw that truck as the only vehicle to get back home?

They wanted to get home to their loved ones, but a tragic accident killed them and destroyed many families. 

This didn't happen because of poverty, a drunk and speeding driver had caused the terrible accident. 

I am told that they were not driving back home to Sisaket but to a place to sleep, for the night. The terrible accident happened very nearly at the end of their journey to their place of rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Beggar said:

Everyone who sits on the platform of a pickup truck should be able to imagine what will happen in a case of an accident. Everyone who is standing on the platform of trucks (often construction workers) should be able to understand what happens in case of an accident. Everyone who stands on the platform of a Baht Bus should be able to imagine what happens if a car crashes into the back of the Baht Bus. I could make an endless list.... It is not only a problem of laws... 

I don’t believe it’s something they even think about, every time I see people riding in the back of a pickup I cringe.

19 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Update.....17 kids have lost their lives in this accident. Apparently two trucks were racing don't know if both were loading down with passengers.

The local's said that "trucks driving fast" is common to this area....alcohol consumption is common too...with driving...???

Too bad the boys in brown are too busy worrying about how much money goes in their back pocket instead of upholding the LAW, remember that law that was passed a couple of years ago, banning people from riding in the back of pickups, but Pinocchio let it slide because so many do-gooders Thais thought it would impact on their Songkran fun, breaking news folks go and tell that to the parents of these 17 school children. Bloody Thailand no amulet is going to bring these children back, only someone with the BALLS to uphold the LAW. (and it definitely isn't Pinocchio)

I think the drinking and driving was a bigger factor here than the transport method. People in Thailand are transported in all manner of unsafe transport. It is definitely more dangerous, but if the driver is sober and driving carefully the risk of accident is greatly reduced. But a drunk young man showing off with a heavy shifting load. The odds of an incident must be close to 100% percent. I'm sure there were a few on board that realized the danger they were in, but peer pressure is a powerful thing. 

There are probably very few men who would have refused to go along, if they were 20 and drunk and out on the town on a grad night. It was a tough situation for the individuals. Human stupidity multiples with alcohol and peer pressure.

21 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Absolutely tragic. Condolences to the poor families, 13 young lives gone in a flash.

This not the time for forensic discussion of the scene, but really, what kind of speed produces that much damage?

R.I.P.: A 5 ton small lorry with a speed of 10km/h could

R.I.P.

It continues sadly a culture where drinking and driving is embedded into their culture and excepted regardless of any law against it. The greatest resource of Thailand people in this case the youth who will never have a chance taken away because other so call adults can't seem to get it. You drive have the responsibility of taking care of others yes enjoy yourself but you don't need a glass in your hand to do it!

15 hours ago, dcnx said:

If you have any options to raise your child elsewhere and don’t, you’re a selfish, bad parent. Thailand is a terrible place to raise a child for all sorts of reasons.

This is exactly my thinking. I have a young child and I am making plans to move my family out of Thailand next year. Going home.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I think the drinking and driving was a bigger factor here than the transport method. People in Thailand are transported in all manner of unsafe transport. It is definitely more dangerous, but if the driver is sober and driving carefully the risk of accident is greatly reduced.

Agreed, yet as I posted before, 40-60 vehicle fatalities daily in Thailand, 102 daily in the USA.  Statistics say over 50% are alcohol related. 

Even if a driver is sober, another vehicle driven by a drunk could have hit them and caused the accident.

Automobile fatalities are higher than all death tolls worldwide from war!  Think about that.

34 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

It's Thailand, how many pickup loaded with many persons have we seen driving at high speed.

There in lies the problem, it's not necessarily people in the back but adding high speed and a p issed-up driver is. 

Archived