14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

Isaanbiker

29 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Which is my whole point now and in previous comments on the appallingly high death stats on Thai roads.

Thailand already has the laws in place to dramatically reduce the road death toll but for whatever reasons the people who are actually in a position to enforce those rules and/or set the agenda choose not to do anything meaningful.

I agree with you, but my point is directed towards the thai bashers.  It's natural for many people to drive without caution, if there's no law enforcement.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, meshborg said:

Jeez when will these stupid people ever learn.Everytime i hear another horror story makes me glad i will never return to Thailand.No time for sympathy.EVERYONE IN THAILAND GUILTY.Sort it out..

What do you suggest?

Drag people out of the back of the pickups?

Yes a horror story, but blame does nor bring people back to life. laws need to be enforced b the authorities.

It is also related to culture and poverty, it is not a simple problem , needing a simple solution, it is complex.

1 minute ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Its very sad.  Thailand has one of the highest ratio of population to police in the world, but sadly also one of the most useless P forces in the world.

Quite.

What makes my mind boggle further is that, knowing that area well, as I do, having lived there for a spell a few years ago, is that most weekends King Kaew (and even stretches of the Bang Na - Trat highway) would be an impromptu race track for the local Dek Wairn - boy racers. The only time the police acted was when there was an incident/accident or enough complaints to force them into action. Whenever there was a  rare crackdown, they would be back in force a week or two later without a copper in sight. Locals would complain that there just wasn't enough gain in it for the police to act, or that some of the Dek Wairn leaders were relatives of local bigwigs so action wasn't worth the candle for the police.

Hopefully this dreadful incident will lead to more police presence along King Kaew, and prevent a repeat of this avoidable tragedy. 

25 minutes ago, meshborg said:

Jeez when will these stupid people ever learn.Everytime i hear another horror story makes me glad i will never return to Thailand.No time for sympathy.EVERYONE IN THAILAND GUILTY.Sort it out..

If this is how you carried on when you were here, then I suspect a lot of people, Thai and Farang, are quite relieved that you will never return!

Very sad. RIP.

Quoting eyewitnesses police said that, before the accident, the ill-fated pick-up truck was racing another truck, and the driver might have lost control and hit the roadside utility pole.  

[...]

The driver, whose identity had not been disclosed at the time of this report, was among those who were injured.

I hope they throw the book at this driver

14 students celebrating end of internship killed in deadly road accident
By The Nation

800_0c64526821358d5.jpg?v=1569829891&key=673ab94aef5f7d3fd4a3eea5aa574eb4f07835829c1de8e75b77fe48f6f2f4f2

Fourteen technical college students were killed and four injured when a pickup flipped over after crashing into a power pole and skidded some 200 metres.

Bangkaew Police Station was informed of the deadly accident in Bang Phli district, Samut Prakan province, in the early hours of Monday. 

The grey Isuzu pickup truck was found flipped over at the scene with 12 dead bodies and six injured inside. Two of the survivors later succumbed to their injuries.

All the victims were students from Si Sa Ket Technical College, who were interning at a factory in Samut Prakan. Technicians from the factory had taken them to a concert to celebrate the end of their internship.

After preliminary investigation, police said that while returning from the concert, the pickup probably raced another car at high speed and the driver is suspected to have lost control of the vehicle, which hit an electricity post, flipped over and skidded for 200 metres.

Reacting to the tragedy, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told a meeting of the National Olympic Committee that he has been pushing for a ban on passengers sitting on the beds of pickup trucks.

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety. He said the measure will now be reconsidered.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376897

nation.jpg&key=59dc0c03834373808e929ddab3ce7051dccd44fe6c9dc7b7d49a587bce7bbcdc

-- [emoji2398] Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-30 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info

No mention of alcohol/drug tests taken and love the comment ‘if the people don’t want to implement a law’!!!
I thought people wore uniforms to (pretend to) do that!????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, webfact said:

14 students celebrating end of internship killed in deadly road accident

By The Nation

800_0c64526821358d5.jpg?v=1569829891

Fourteen technical college students were killed and four injured when a pickup flipped over after crashing into a power pole and skidded some 200 metres.

Bangkaew Police Station was informed of the deadly accident in Bang Phli district, Samut Prakan province, in the early hours of Monday. 

The grey Isuzu pickup truck was found flipped over at the scene with 12 dead bodies and six injured inside. Two of the survivors later succumbed to their injuries.

All the victims were students from Si Sa Ket Technical College, who were interning at a factory in Samut Prakan. Technicians from the factory had taken them to a concert to celebrate the end of their internship.

After preliminary investigation, police said that while returning from the concert, the pickup probably raced another car at high speed and the driver is suspected to have lost control of the vehicle, which hit an electricity post, flipped over and skidded for 200 metres.

Reacting to the tragedy, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told a meeting of the National Olympic Committee that he has been pushing for a ban on passengers sitting on the beds of pickup trucks.

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety. He said the measure will now be reconsidered.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376897

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-30

Toadie has spoken, for anyone familiar with Wind in the Willows, they will appreciate the sincerity of Toad of Toad Hall's promises, worth as much as the paper they are written on. 

1 hour ago, IvorLott said:

Quite.

What makes my mind boggle further is that, knowing that area well, as I do, having lived there for a spell a few years ago, is that most weekends King Kaew (and even stretches of the Bang Na - Trat highway) would be an impromptu race track for the local Dek Wairn - boy racers. The only time the police acted was when there was an incident/accident or enough complaints to force them into action. Whenever there was a  rare crackdown, they would be back in force a week or two later without a copper in sight. Locals would complain that there just wasn't enough gain in it for the police to act, or that some of the Dek Wairn leaders were relatives of local bigwigs so action wasn't worth the candle for the police.

Hopefully this dreadful incident will lead to more police presence along King Kaew, and prevent a repeat of this avoidable tragedy. 

Why limit it to one minor location considering it is nation wide. 

2 hours ago, johnnycthedog said:

I have yet to read the age of the driver.  Do you know something that we don't?  Yes the driver was speeding and possibly drunk but we don't know if he was a student or an adult. And surely you're not blaming the poor students in the back of the pick up?

Oh! many posters here always blame the victim/s - just skim thru' some of the posts for some depressing blame the victim comments. 

7 hours ago, Brer said:

I saw the news report of this accident last night on Thai news channel. So sad.

I tried to discuss the issue with my wife and what could be done.

The reply I got was “not your problem” and “it’s up to them”.

It just sums up the Thai attitude when it’s not directly affecting them.

So sad.

Yes indeed, that Laew Dtae Mai Pen Rai syndrome has many interpretations and is deeply ingrained. It is so sad and tragic.

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

Oh! many posters here always blame the victim/s - just skim thru' some of the posts for some depressing blame the victim comments. 

Which posts are those ?

Saying that though, the Students should not have gotton into the pick-up trucks

On 9/29/2019 at 5:31 AM, ratcatcher said:

Absolutely tragic. Condolences to the poor families, 13 young lives gone in a flash.

This not the time for forensic discussion of the scene, but really, what kind of speed produces that much damage?

RE - what kind of speed produces that much damage?

* Its rather the poor enforcement of the trafic laws or the lack of it that kills - over and over again ...

Drivers of pick-up trucks warned

New Thai road safety laws issued this month also ban people from travelling in the cargo area of pick-up trucks. The decision was announced shortly before the long Songkran holiday and was not well-received by many in the country. Thai authorities agreed to a temporary amnesty, but now that the holiday period is over it seems the new law will be enforced although it may prove to be the case that police in Bangkok and other urban areas enforce the new laws more rigorously than elsewhere in the country.

https://www.thaizer.com/news/thailand-toughens-up-road-safety-laws/

RIP

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Why limit it to one minor location considering it is nation wide. 

Even sensible policing of this one location could have been a lifesaving start. My point was that the police will sadly turn a blind eye to this kind of misdemeanor until there is a tragedy such as this. Even then, they'll  (the kids) will probably still be back racing on King Kaew every Friday and Saturday night before the next month is out.

You are certainly correct, this kind of incident occurs nationwide most weekends, yet the powers still seem unable to stem such behaviour. In this case, something as minimal a copper on a motorbike (or even on foot at the mouth of the soi) checking the departing traffic could have acted upon seeing a potentially dangerous situation, dragged the lads out of it and they would still be alive today. 
I suppose it's easy to be wise after the event and resort to 'whatiffery' but until there is a huge change in the law and attitudes, the blood will continue to stain the tarmac in Thailand (and elsewhere) every weekend.

14 vocational students die in road carnage in Samut Prakan

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4oAgEwPR0rqkp2aL7MBn6w6CJbQXpzIWO3tIHl.jpg&key=92b2190f78bc88b688a87902db3d14055e0f25ad05a23889d94d3c43e3d38302

Fourteen vocational students were killed, and others were seriously injured, when their pick-up truck crashed into a roadside utility power pole and overturned in Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan province early this morning.

The pick-up was a complete wreck and was found about 200 meters from the pole in Soi Kingkaew 21 of Tambon Rachatheva.

According to an initial police report, there were 18 students, from Si Sa Ket technical college, crammed into the bed of the truck. The students had just completed job training at a factory in Samut Prakan and been at a party before attending a Mor Lum concert in Soi Kingkaew 21. Police said that the fatal accident occurred as the pickup truck was taking the students back to their lodgings. 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/14-vocational-students-die-in-road-carnage-in-samut-prakan/

thaipbs.jpg&key=a7aa502f985c55bfae17898b2f2bce9e2b866f7194e63a71a5db681c6e46f548 -- [emoji767] Copyright Thai PBS 2019-09-29 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info

Once again... When do Thais will understand that it is ILLEGAL & VERY DANGEROUS to transport people on the truck of any pick-up car ???
In rural areas maybe you can transport 2 pigs or so, for a short distance travel and very slow, but in Bangkok?!?! And put 14 or 18 teenager on your truck, it is criminal to do so.
I’m sad for the families of the dead youngs; but big fault is from the police.
The police is to blame for never enforce the law when they see a pick up loaded with people instead of items. People are not bulk goods.
Not the last time it happens...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety.

WE had this advertised before a Songkran some time back, to reduce the 5 days of hell holiday deaths on the roads. Then Cha Cha back flipped from a total ban on riding in the rear to 5 passengers so the poor were not disadvantaged. Didnt take long to fall back to the " old ways " again.

He said that it was hard to solve this problem when people don’t want to implement the law even though the law forbids such practices and there have been concerns about safety.

WE had this advertised before a Songkran some time back, to reduce the 5 days of hell holiday deaths on the roads. Then Cha Cha back flipped from a total ban on riding in the rear to 5 passengers so the poor were not disadvantaged. Didnt take long to fall back to the " old ways " again.

I can think of 17 families that now feel ‘disadvantaged’. ‘Health & Safety’ are just cliche’s here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, BobbyL said:

Nothing to do with the road carnage here phases me now. It is completely lawless and stuff like this happens so often. Just driving out of Bangkok last weekend some of the sights were just mind-boggling. 

see it all the time in jomtien on a sunday when they all leave to go home..

2 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

Sympathy for the devil. Last year the Govt. decreed no riding in the back of trucks and the like everything else turned around before Songran and said you can. You can't change stupid.

they relinquished it ...therefore allowing people to ride in backs of pickups......

18 hours ago, webfact said:

It isn't hard to implement if you have sufficient penalties which in turn form a deterrent, the problem in Thailand is there are no deterrents plus the Thai people know the police are a soft touch and therefore you have this care free situation. QED..!!

Archived