Suspect of working in Thailand ... Really? Doing what?

7 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

But you are not always put under detention.

At the airport yes unless you don't sign the notice of expulsion that say you agree to pay the detention fees. At a land border you are unlikely to be denied anyway. 

56 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

In a 7 page thread conversations usually develop various subtopics. Sorry if that overwhelmed your ability to keep up.

Sorry if we overwhelmed your capacity to stay on topic!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

"I refuse to learn this language"....   it's not the most endearing of attitudes to draw a favorable encounter. 

The point you make regarding the futility of learning a single country language [Thai] vs learning alternate languages is somewhat flawed, how much time have you spend in Spanish or Chinese speaking countries lately vs time in Thailand.

The real question should be how much business i do with companies from China/Korea/Japan or Spanish/Portuguese speaking ones - and that is a lot - while having zero interests in dealing with thai ones, ever. 

Hence i am currently learning portuguese on duolingo, which seems quite easy compared to thai. Getting results fast is very motivating.

It takes a lot of time to learn a language and thai seems to be not a good value for time investment needed... i don't think i will stay here forever and outside of thailand it's absoutely useless. I live in Bangkok, not Isaan, i really wouldn't know what i would gain from speaking thai here.

Just now, cerox said:

I wonder why Elite visa is such a safe solution, because as far as I understand it is a METV, and tourists are not supposed to stay more than 6 months.

An Elite Visa would give one year permission of stay on each entry, whereas a METV gives only 60 days. 

Yes I know that. What I mean is the way they classify you as a tourist and you are not supposed to stay longer than half a year.

Since Elite is a tourist visa, is it so far off to assume one day they could make a "crackdown" on those living here full time using Elite?

• Confused 1

On 9/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

Right, it's just random, but realistically you aren't going to keep getting issued tv's or allowed in on non exempts forever. maybe time it was made law so everyone knows where they stand at least, or maybe the gov are afraid they could lose money, plus it could create big problems for offshore workers who are under 50 and not married who come and go?

And those offshore workers who are under 50 and not married earn a hell of a lot of money. On an oil rig you've nothing to spend it on so they usually blow a fortune in the night time entertainment venues and hotels

You'd think they'd encourage them to come rather than risk scaring 'em off.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cerox said:

I wonder why Elite visa is such a safe solution, because as far as I understand it is a METV, and tourists are not supposed to stay more than 6 months.

No it's not, it's an entirely new visa class called Privilege Entry, nothing in the regulation issued for it says that they can decline you.

It has nothing in common with METV/SETV visas, it's issued under a special ministerial regulation.

And it's safe as it's issued by main immigration after doing background checks, nothing will happen there as long as you don't end up in criminal stuff imo.

8 hours ago, cerox said:

Yes I know that. What I mean is the way they classify you as a tourist and you are not supposed to stay longer than half a year.

Since Elite is a tourist visa, is it so far off to assume one day they could make a "crackdown" on those living here full time using Elite?

It's not, it has nothing to do with tourism, i don't know why they advertise it as a tourist visa on their website (well, incompetence prolly), it's in a completely different regulation class.

• Like 1

If you like to visit Thailand for half of the year or more, you need not come on Tourist Visa, because that could get you eventually in trouble as a 'serial tourist'.
And the solution is very simple > You obviously qualify for a Non Imm OA Visa - retirement, as you are 62+ with  sufficient income.  Such a Visa  would allow you to stay up to 2 years in Thailand with a minimum of admin IO hassle.  And since you would be going often back to your USA residence, at the end of the 2nd year you can simply apply for a new Non Imm OA Visa.
The Non Imm OA Visa is often refered to as 'retirement Visa', but that does not mean that you actually have to retire (it does of course prohibit you from doing work while in Thailand).  And neither does it require that you should become a resident in Thailand.  You can simply keep your official residence in USA and use the Non Imm OA Visa as an 'easy entry-ticket' to visit Thailand as often and as long as you like.

Is that true?
I am actually with a retirement visa. Can I work part time in another country like Cambodia or Vietnam like 5 days per month and keep the retirement visa for Thailand ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, 50soon said:

I am actually with a retirement visa. Can I work part time in another country like Cambodia or Vietnam like 5 days per month and keep the retirement visa for Thailand ?

You can work outside of the country with a OA visa or extension of stay based upon retirement. There is not that states you cannot do it.

Many people are doing it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:52 AM, 4675636b596f75 said:

What kind of work do you suppose immigration suspects these people are doing?

Real estate

Tour guide

Translation

Working for a Guest House

Teaching

Any other type of work people do here, albeit illegally without a work permit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 50soon said:

Is that true?

Yes, if you are in Thailand on a Non Imm OA retirement Visa (or extension of stay for retirement), you are not allowed to do work in Thailand.  But nothing prohibits you from doing work OUTSIDE the country.

I sometimes return to my home-country for small work assignments when they pop-up.

On 9/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

3 pages and not one answered my question.  Do I have to ask it again?  When they claim they suspect you of working, what type of work would that be?

Taxi Driver?

Whore?

Professional Agitator?

Goldsmith?

Typically TEFL'ing. Either online or in some podunk provincial backwater school who's owner doesn't feel the need to be accountable to Thai immigration and labor laws

On 9/30/2019 at 1:13 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

So it's just throwing spaghetti at a wall?

Don't try that with uncooked spaghetti, it's guaranteed that nothing will stick.

As a farang, if you are throwing any sort of spaghetti at any wall in Thailand, you are exerting effort (the Thai labor department's definition of work) and probably depriving a local of that occupation.

On 9/30/2019 at 1:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

Here is the latest definition of work.

image.png.65716bb0e0f0d3fed90bcd192c53cb8a.png

Soruce: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZYhf0Xt6ktzXVILU1G7Kxuo3RKop00k8/view

Oh cool, a new and up to date definition. Thanks joe. I always thought the the old 'exerting effort' mantra was far too broad a brush.

Looks like as long as the OP strictly maintains his amateur spaghetti-thrower status, he can carry on.

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2019 at 3:03 PM, dcnx said:

And you sit in the detention cell until they get around to it?

Nothing unusual with that. I had to hang out in the HPD lockup for a whole, 3-night weekend before I could post bond on the Monday morning.

Yes, they do say innocent until proven guilty but the guilty tend to do runners which buggers things up for the innocent.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, recom273 said:

I got grilled on entry many times, the IO’s couldn’t stop me.

How long ago was that grilling though? If you have subsequently turned to working legally, I would think that your previous dalliance with illegal employment was probably before the current hardened attitude towards foreigners with apparently too much free time on their hands.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:18 AM, dcnx said:

This is how peasants think. To them, it’s impossible to travel extensively without work or have investments that allow you to do so. They live day to day and are incapable of understanding those who are not peasants. 

When you live on your knees in servitude, you’re unable to see beyond your own miserable circumstances. 

Yes, yes, yes.... thanks for the hackneyed Thai social commentary but do you have, or can you qualify for, the correct Thai visa that fits your circumstances?

Or can't you be bothered?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, problemfarang said:

One day i asked one of the immigration officer drinking beer and sitting with one of these laotion girl, you know she works here illegal and you dont do anything. But i have to do lot of things to get my work permit or able to stay in thailand. his answer was, ohh they are poor ppl, trying to help their families back at home. But you guys have money and comfortable life. 

So you chose to task on off-duty immigration cop from the same office that handled your immigration status about their law-breaking? All this at their favorite pub too?

You have a very apt username.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, problemfarang said:

One day i asked one of the immigration officer drinking beer and sitting with one of these laotion girl, you know she works here illegal and you dont do anything. But i have to do lot of things to get my work permit or able to stay in thailand. his answer was, ohh they are poor ppl, trying to help their families back at home. But you guys have money and comfortable life. 

If you let him have a 'free one' with you, he'd probably let you have an easier VISA as well.

11 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

It's not, it has nothing to do with tourism, i don't know why they advertise it as a tourist visa on their website (well, incompetence prolly), it's in a completely different regulation class.

It is though. It is the ONLY officially approved 100% long-term, frequent-visitor tourist visa.

• Like 1

It's all a bunch of deleted deleted deleted.  If they don't want people here on tourist visas or visa on arrivals or visa waivers then they should publish clear rules telling people exactly what is allowed and what is not allowed, what is required and what is not required, exactly how many times and how long etc. and apply those exact same rules at all borders.  

Since they don't do that nobody has the right to say that anyone is cheating or bending the rules etc.  Unless they really are working illegally of course.

• Like 1