Suspect of working in Thailand ... Really? Doing what?

4 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

No need they aren't concerned about regular tourist. They are only after those who stay too long (probably >180 in 12 months) The interpretation needs to be flexible so undesirables can't work it to the last cm. I suspect there have been a significant exodus of these illegal long termers, so it appears to be working. 

What exactly is a regular tourist?  What exactly is staying too long.  Probably/Maybe etc. doesn't cut it.  Publish rules so people can work it to the last cm.  That's exactly how it should work.  

6 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Sorry you're having a problem, but that's not my concern. It works fine for me, though. Maybe the best way to show your dissatisfaction is to vote with your feet. 

The way it should work in Thailand is up to the Thais not the guests here.

BTW immigration officers in the US don't publish questions. They simply ask leading questions to mislead those who don't qualify. They also do this at consular interviews and many get turned away, without explanation.

One of the problems is there has been a lot of advice on how to beat the system and now that Thai immigration is catching up, panic is setting in. 

I'm not an internet warrior. Have a great evening!  I mean it. 

Edited by ricklev

15 hours ago, ricklev said:

What exactly is a regular tourist?  What exactly is staying too long.  Probably/Maybe etc. doesn't cut it.  Publish rules so people can work it to the last cm.  That's exactly how it should work.  

I would suggest you might start by asking yourself if your own countries Immigration rules would allow a foreigner to come and go in your country, without any queries or questions, in the exactly the same way that you seem you expect to come and go to Thailand, using the same basic tourist visa and visa exempt stamps, border hopping, etc.

When that foreigner had reached the point where Immigration in your country start to become suspicious and asked probing questions, threatening denial of entry, etc I would suggest Thai Immigration are entitled to act in exactly the same manner. You should be looking at getting the correct type of visa for your needs (if available) if you want to stay longer. If there isn't a visa available to suit you I would suggest Thailand don't want you here for anything more than a standard (two week) holiday. It's their rules, their choice and their decision.

Do you really think the US, UK, Australia, the EU, etc would allow foreigners to come and go in their countries with the same ease that their citizens continually come to and stay in Thailand??

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I would suggest you might start by asking yourself if your own countries Immigration rules would allow a foreigner to come and go in your country, without any queries or questions, in the exactly the same way that you seem you expect to come and go to Thailand, using the same basic tourist visa and visa exempt stamps, border hopping, etc.

When that foreigner had reached the point where Immigration in your country start to become suspicious and asked probing questions, threatening denial of entry, etc I would suggest Thai Immigration are entitled to act in exactly the same manner. You should be looking at getting the correct type of visa for your needs (if available) if you want to stay longer. If there isn't a visa available to suit you I would suggest Thailand don't want you here for anything more than a standard (two week) holiday. It's their rules, their choice and their decision.

Do you really think the US, UK, Australia, the EU, etc would allow foreigners to come and go in their countries with the same ease that their citizens continually come to and stay in Thailand??

A standard holiday is two weeks?  That would simplify things.  I would have no problem with Thailand deciding a standard holiday is two weeks and limiting all tourist visas/visa exemptions to two weeks once a year or for whatever time period they choose.  It's a clear, simple and easily followed regulation.  

Edited by ricklev

2 minutes ago, ricklev said:

A standard holiday is two weeks?  That would simplify things.  I would have no problem with Thailand deciding a standard holiday is two weeks and limiting all tourist visas/visa exemptions to two weeks once a year or for whatever time period they choose.  It's a clear simple regulation.  

I am suggesting that you use your own countries guidelines as a rule of thumb. If I was a Thai national, how easy is it to get a tourist visa to visit your country for a holiday and how long would it be valid for?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

You continue to want everything to be cast in stone, how anal. The system has some build in flexibility so wanted guests can be accommodated. What about Medical tourism? Are you going to send someone away with drain tubes etc? The system is fine, but those "staying too long" on tourist visas are targeted. After all a tourist visa is 60 days and be extended another 30. That's pretty long.

Ahhh, OK.  60 days with a 30 day extension.  Seems reasonable to be able to know how often that can be used and how long must pass between tourist visas.  

Anyway, I think you are a normal person with different opinion then mine and I wish you a great day!  Really! 

8 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Ahhh, OK.  60 days with a 30 day extension.  Seems reasonable to be able to know how often that can be used and how long must pass between tourist visas.  

For a standard tourist visa? That, I would suggest is flexible to some extent, dependent on the individuals circumstances at the time but, in my opinion annually would be a reasonable and flexible starting point. 

That doesn't mean 90 days a year maximum though. You can stay a lot longer, even annually and more, IF YOU OBTAIN THE CORRECT VISA/EXTENSION.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:51 AM, gk10002000 said:

And Social Security elibigle when I choose for another 30K a year ( I am 62 +).

You need to change that from "when I choose" to age 64+ if you're thinking of SS benefits amounting to USD 30K/yr. It is virtually impossible to have an individual benefit that large (in 2019) at age 62.