Refused Entry

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Ok checked my pp. I do already have 2 land xings.

11 jan to 14 jan. Next one was 1 april to 4 april.

Yesterday would indeed be my 3rd.

No more land entries visa exempt until January 1st of next year.

You could get a single entry tourist visa it you want to make more entries before then. You could get a re-entry permit to keep the original 60 days valid if you wanted to enter again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

in addidition to the the two exemption passes it states on uk travel advice that you may enter a third time if you have a visa.
and yes it is <deleted> only 2 land crossings per calender year as many live near various checkpoints malaysia/laos/cambodia even myanmar
it only affects a non voting minority so gov dont care

since theres a few folk here penang sadao etc a bit off topic hi
does anyone know of a good parcel service from hat yai to penang about 5kg-10kg box
or if any of the mini van services would take it
nothing illegal
shipping from bkk always involves a boat or plane kind of bizarre considering road rail links
thanks

• Like 1

as air travel is quite contentious at the moment land crossings should be encouraged
plus on the future side of things

hish speed rail is thailands big projects at the moment

with the kunming to vienteinne land already 40% completed

it should be quite the thing for the chinese to take the weekend out in thailand

so the 2 crossings has to change even if it is 5 or more years away
& Thailand has decided to focus on just one rail lin the BKK to NK linking this up which has a potential day/overnight train from Kunming to BKK (approx 10hrs)

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Ok checked my pp. I do already have 2 land xings.

11 jan to 14 jan. Next one was 1 april to 4 april.

Yesterday would indeed be my 3rd.

Your short and infrequent stays are a perfect example for the silliness of this rule that imposes a limit on the number of land border visa exempt entries per year, without taking duration of stay into account.

But yes, under this rule, you were rightfully refused entry, so the IOs dealing with you cannot be blamed.

• Like 2

The reference to refusal if read properly has nothing whatsoever to do with time in Thailand. 

Rule 12 .10 refers to rule 16 which is conduct in country which I would translate as rendering him an ‘undesirable alien’. 

Edited by tgeezer
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

The reference to refusal if read properly has nothing whatsoever to do with time in Thailand. 

Rule 12 .10 refers to rule 16 which is conduct in country which I would translate as rendering him an ‘undesirable alien’.

Where do you see that mentioned in the OP's denial of entry.

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

he was refused under 12.1

as the immigration act was not rewritten to include 2 land borders when introduced the io uses the section 12.1 as a general rule probably ordered to o so or its up them which rule they utilise

Section 12

Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances. Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.

section 18 is more applicable in regards to 2 land border crossings
but if it aint written in the book whats an io to do...........:)

Section 18

The competent official shall have power to inspect persons entering into or leaving the Kingdom, In light of this provision, persons entering into or departing from the Kingdom must submit a list of items as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations, and must be inspected and approval by the competent official assigned to the Immigration check point.

and in this case passport was checked had two entries 
two strike rule

Edited by andy72

1 hour ago, andy72 said:

he was refused under 12.1

as the immigration act was not rewritten to include 2 land borders when introduced the io uses the section 12.1 as a general rule probably ordered to o so or its up them which rule they utilise

Section 12

Aliens which fall into any of the following categories are excluded from entering into the Kingdom:

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport; or having a genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances. Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial Regulations.

section 18 is more applicable in regards to 2 land border crossings
but if it aint written in the book whats an io to do...........:)

Section 18

The competent official shall have power to inspect persons entering into or leaving the Kingdom, In light of this provision, persons entering into or departing from the Kingdom must submit a list of items as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations, and must be inspected and approval by the competent official assigned to the Immigration check point.

and in this case passport was checked had two entries 
two strike rule

I disagree with your analysis. In my view, whether or not to grant a visa exempt entry is similar to a decision as to whether to issue a visa. Once it is determined that the traveler is not eligible for a visa exempt entry, the denial of entry on the basis of 12 (1) is entirely appropriate. The traveler needed a visa to enter Thailand, and did not have one. Once you cannot enter visa exempt, you are subject to the same rules as anyone else needing a visa to enter Thailand.

Nowhere! Sorry about that, I see that I should have paid attention to the reason given,  not having a visa to enter the country. I noted that there is no appeal possible for 12.1 or 12.10 and mistakenly took the reason to be 12.10! 

On 10/1/2019 at 4:40 AM, Tayaout said:

Yes it is calendar year. Before I got my long term visa I did one entry for 3 consecutives months: November, December and January. 

To clarify what was said in this thread there is no 180 days limit. This was scraped years ago.

There is no limit of entry per year via any airport but the computer system gives an alert after 6 to warn the immigration officer to use more scrutiny. It seems if you do a lot of short stays then there is no issues. If you have a long history of stay, use the max duration of each entry stamp, do extension, had ED or many consecutive tourist visa, and/or do border run then you probably won't reach 6 consecutives entry before being denied. 

There is plenty of updated information on this page: https://www.thaivisaservice.com/

Thank you very much for this information.

So, in my case the situation is that I still have my two visa exemptions available for 2019.  I have a relatively clean passport with only two SETVs in it, and never have had an overstay or other problematic incidents.

Could I possibly get two months (2*30 days) out of these visa extensions by doing two border hops during the remainder of this calendar year?

I live within easy day trip driving distance of Aranyaprathet.  I know this has a reputation for being a potentially problematic land boarder, but if I did this properly - I would be using one of the "agents" working at the border to facilitate expedited service on both the Thai and Cambodian sides, for a fee - would it make sense to try to use up my two visa exempt entries?

Otherwise, would the same potentially work at another land boarder?

As long as the count re-sets at the beginning of 2020, I am perfectly okay with using my visa exempts in the remainder of 2019.  The reason I typically do not use these is to preserve them for a fallback option in the case of a botched visa run.  That is not a concern if I get two more in January anyway.

10 minutes ago, Soneva said:

As long as the count re-sets at the beginning of 2020,

I think you would be at risk.  Right or wrong, so many trips into Thailand would generate questions about what you do, accusations of working, regardless of what you tell the immigration official or if you show 20k baht in cash each time you enter

5 hours ago, Soneva said:

Thank you very much for this information.

So, in my case the situation is that I still have my two visa exemptions available for 2019.  I have a relatively clean passport with only two SETVs in it, and never have had an overstay or other problematic incidents.

Could I possibly get two months (2*30 days) out of these visa extensions by doing two border hops during the remainder of this calendar year?

I live within easy day trip driving distance of Aranyaprathet.  I know this has a reputation for being a potentially problematic land boarder, but if I did this properly - I would be using one of the "agents" working at the border to facilitate expedited service on both the Thai and Cambodian sides, for a fee - would it make sense to try to use up my two visa exempt entries?

Otherwise, would the same potentially work at another land boarder?

As long as the count re-sets at the beginning of 2020, I am perfectly okay with using my visa exempts in the remainder of 2019.  The reason I typically do not use these is to preserve them for a fallback option in the case of a botched visa run.  That is not a concern if I get two more in January anyway.

You could get 4 months out of 2 borders run if you do extension. Don't use Aranyaprathet border. They are known to be difficult and grilled me the only time I came back from Poipet. You should use Ban Laem instead which is near. Be warned that these border run extended or not looks bad on your passport if you need to use the airport in the future. 

12 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

2 visits each 3 days and you got refused ? Time to go somewhere else folks.

He was attempting get his 3rd visa exempt entry at a land border crossing this year. Only 2 per calendar year are allowed.