Atm or POS Exchange

Is it more cost effective if I use my Atm card(no fee's) for funds verses  purchasing  items using my (no foreign trans fee) credit card?

Edited by riclag

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Depends on the item as you have some security and recourse if there is an issue with the item or service purchased with the credit card.

I'm not much concerned about the recourse or service,although I am if its a large purchase. But for this topic I'm more concerned about the savings, so

OP,

Are you talking use of your "Thai bank ATM/debit" card or your foreign bank ATM/debit card? 

If you are talking a foreign debit card and a foreign credit card the exchange rate given will be the card network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, etc) exchange rate for both cards "minus any foreign transaction fee including the ISA fee" that your card-issuing bank charges or does not reimburse. 

And this assumes you do not accomplish a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaction where  you get the merchant's lower exchange rate (usually around 3% lower) than the card-network rate. 

Visa/Mastercard/etc., use the same exchange rate whether it's a debit or credit card.  But then you must calculate in what fees your "card-issuing" bank may apply/not reimburse.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

OP,

Are you talking use of your "Thai bank ATM/debit" card or your foreign bank ATM/debit card? 

If you are talking a foreign debit card and a foreign credit card the exchange rate given will be the card network (i.e., Visa, Mastercard, etc) exchange rate for both cards "minus any foreign transaction fee including the ISA fee" that your card-issuing bank charges or does not reimburse. 

And this assumes you do not accomplish a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaction where  you get the merchant's lower exchange rate (usually around 3% lower) than the card-network rate. 

Visa/Mastercard/etc., use the same exchange rate whether it's a debit or credit card.  But then you must calculate in what fees your "card-issuing" bank may apply/not reimburse.

Using a Foreign bank credit card with no FTF not a Thai Bank atm/debit card.

Edited by riclag

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

Using a Foreign bank credit card with no FTF not a Thai Bank atm/debit card.

Then as previously stated you will get the card-network exchange rate "minus any card-issuing bank" fees applied.  Since you say no FTF then you just are dealing with the card-network rate.

And DO NOT accept any DCC transaction where you are really receiving the merchant's lower exchange rate.  Easy to tell if a transaction is being processed as a DCC transaction.  If you see your home country foreign currency amount "and" Thai baht on the receipt for signature then it's a DCC transaction and the receipt will probably show in fine print the DCC percentage markup.  Do not sign the receipt...tell the cashier to cancel that transaction and rerun in Thai baht; not USD/GBP/etc.  If rerun in Thai baht then "only" a Thai baht amount will appear on the receipt vs Thai baht "and" your home country currency amounts.

Edited by Pib

• 2 weeks later...

A credit card is certainly better, if it, like your ATM card, has no fees from your bank or from your network. But the ATM card has one more fee than the credit card, i.e., the ATM owner's 220bt fee; so, you need to have a card that reimburses this in order to make a level playing field comparison. But, having said all that, the credit card is still better....

...because, unless you're brain dead, your credit card is one of those that gives cash back -- 1.5% on all purchases now becoming the norm (Cap One, as an example), but we're seeing 2% more often -- and I lucked out with a limited offer 2.5% USAA card. That adds up to real money.

Your ATM will get your network's real time 24-hour rate, which you can look up prior to heading for the ATM machine. But your credit card is "off line," so you'll get the rate one or two days down the road. That's not something that realistically needs to be considered, since, on norm, the day to day exchange rates don't make any great movement -- certainly none that eclipse your 1.5% cash back.