Final proposal - PM Johnson to unveil Brexit offer to EU

webfact

4 hours ago, Monomial said:

The EU charter specifically defines it as the national government. However, the extension is being requested by the country's parliament according to the UK government,

It is the UK government requesting the extension. Not the UK parliament. 

who are additionally claiming that extension request is actually being done in coordination with the EU, rendering it illegal according to the terms of the EU charter.

Boris can claim that if he wants to make a fool of himself again. 

If the UK government can successfully sho that the EU was involved in a material way in drafting that legislation, then in fact it woulf d be the EU who is not allowing the UK to leave, albeit with the compliance of the UK parliament.

I guess there are actually some desperate fools who buy into such hogwash. Is it made for the same poor nuts that believe an armchair lawyer telling them the UK actually has left already but the MSM just isn’t telling anyone? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

Final proposal - PM Johnson to unveil Brexit offer to EU
By Elizabeth Piper

2019-10-01T210314Z_1_LYNXMPEF903FV_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-CONSERVATIVES.JPG.1b0de348c08ea53b7a67abb33c71616e.JPG
Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson is seen at the venue for the Conservative Party annual conference in Manchester, Britain, October 1, 2019. REUTERS/Phil Noble

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Prime Minister Boris Johnson will on Wednesday unveil his final Brexit offer to the European Union and make clear that if Brussels does not engage with the proposal, Britain will not negotiate further and will leave on Oct. 31.

In his closing speech to his governing Conservatives' annual conference, Johnson will stick to his hard line on Brexit, offering the party faithful the first details of what he will describe as his "fair and reasonable compromise".

With less than a month until Britain is due to leave the EU, the future of Brexit, the country's biggest trade and foreign policy shift in more than 40 years, is uncertain. Britain could leave with a deal, without one or not exit at all.

Johnson, who says Britain will leave the bloc on Oct. 31 no matter what, will tell the conference he will send his proposal to Brussels on Wednesday, an attempt to secure a deal to smooth the country's departure and avoid a potentially economically damaging no-deal Brexit.

"My friends, I am afraid that after three-and-a-half years people are beginning to feel that they are being taken for fools. They are beginning to suspect that there are forces in this country that simply don't want Brexit delivered at all," he will say, according to extracts released by his office.

"Let's get Brexit done on October 31 so in 2020 our country can move on."

More than three years after Britain voted to leave the EU in a 2016 referendum, Brexit talks are at an impasse.

Johnson has been firm that the Oct. 31 deadline will be met, but parliament has put roadblocks in his way - passing a law that requires the prime minister to request a Brexit delay if he fails to secure an acceptable deal at an EU summit on Oct. 17.

The EU has repeatedly asked Britain to come up with "legal and operational" proposals for the changes Johnson wants to a deal his predecessor negotiated with the bloc last year.

"NOBODY WILL WORK ON A DELAY"
Following its rejection three times by parliament, Johnson has demanded changes to the Withdrawal Agreement, especially over arrangements for a new border with the bloc between the British province of Northern Ireland and EU member Ireland.

But after weeks of talks since Johnson took power that have made little headway to break the Brexit stand-off, the prime minister will make his last gambit - a new proposal which British officials describe as the final offer.

"The government is either going to be negotiating a new deal or working on no deal — nobody will work on delay," a senior government official said.

"We will keep fighting to respect the biggest democratic vote in British history. The EU is obliged by EU law only to negotiate with member state governments, they cannot negotiate with parliament, and this government will not negotiate delay."

Johnson has made the gamble that by pressing a hardline position on Brexit he will steal votes from parties such as the Brexit Party led by veteran eurosceptic Nigel Farage at an election, widely expected to come before the end of the year.

He also has the main opposition Labour Party in his sights, and will use his speech to attack its leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who has led efforts to try to stop the prime minister taking Britain out of the EU without a deal.

"Can you imagine another three years of this? That is the Corbyn agenda – stay in the EU beyond October 31, paying 1 billion pounds ($1.23 billion) a month for the privilege, followed by years of uncertainty for business and everyone else," he will say.

"That is why we are coming out of the EU on October 31. Let's get Brexit done - we can, we must and we will."

($1 = 0.8123 pounds)

(Additional reporting by Kylie MacLellan and William James, Editing by Timothy Heritage)

reuters_logo.jpg&key=a71a0ca278f8bd2b683eea1e5be55e00d3963b1b928af95302d5caedb94709ce
-- [emoji767] Copyright Reuters 2019-10-02 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info

Boris the blade. Another British blunder. So glad I left the UK 9 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No I'm not.

I this a 5 minute argument, or the full monty?

God, my fellow brexiteers really have to urgently improve their arguing skills.

Will I still be able to buy clogs in the uk after brexit?or will sanctions be imposed?

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Why do I have the feeling that I am wasting my sarcasm on those islanders ?

Maybe I should say something more Benny Hillish?

Yes , it should start "raining brains" on that island , high needed ….for that 52% ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

They can initiate talks - so far I believe they have South Korea, Israel and Chile in ‘rollover’ talks - whilst the Marshall Islands are playing hardball ???? 

Trade deals with major nations will still take years to create. 

However you didn’t answer the question - if the EU and U.K. are offering the same product the EU’s considerable financial muscle compared to the U.K. (GDP $17t v $3t) tells you all you need to know. 

Yep, seems the EU's financial muscle is working a treat. ????

https://www.afr.com/world/europe/us-eu-trade-war-widens-with-tariffs-on-planes-cheese-wine-and-whisky-20191003-p52xca

image.png.3b25bd3ffe52ad187b10f24a4af8ef7b.png

10 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Plus the WTO (the leavers trade body of choice) has just given ol Trump (the leavers trading partner of choice)  the green light to slap $7.5 billion of tariffs on all European countries incl the U.K. ( because we’re European) - howls of protest from the U.K. government today. 

So how are those trade deals going with the big boys ? ????

Another good reason to make our own deal with the US instead of getting dragged down with the EU's failed attempts.

Edited by JonnyF
  • Like 2

Final proposals - bit like a lead balloon.

Meanwhile his deputy Simon Coveney said there were aspects of the proposals that Ireland "couldn't possibly support", while the European Commission branded the proposals "problematic" and said the onus was on the UK to fix them.

Donald Tusk, the European Council president, said member states were open to improvements but were so far "not convinced".

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-brexit-no-deal-boris-johnson-varadkar-eu-single-market-plan-border-a9140666.html

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

I doubt if you would get much support for an English devolved parliament, but who knows, start a campaign.

TBH it should have been mandatory when Blair appeased everyone else. The English didn't take it particularly seriously because we assumed Westminster was the proper Parliament; but as we have seen we are out in the cold with the tail absurdly wagging the (55m strong) dog.

Fortunately Brexit has woken many of them up and the campaign you mentioned is well underway.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

TBH it should have been mandatory when Blair appeased everyone else. The English didn't take it particularly seriously because we assumed Westminster was the proper Parliament; but as we have seen we are out in the cold with the tail absurdly wagging the (55m strong) dog.

Fortunately Brexit has woken many of them up and the campaign you mentioned is well underway.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Maybe you could spell it out for me - write it on a red bus ?

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, JonnyF said:

Not at all. We want to be free to strike deals with the rest of the world. 

Remainers love to paint Leavers as inward looking little Englanders. It's another strawman argument, most Leavers are very forward thinking and realize that the exciting growth over the next few decades will be outside the EU, and we want to be a part of it.

Of course we will still deal with the EU, but we want to deal with the whole world, not just the protectionist bloc on our doorstep. The Commonwealth, Asia, the US, Africa, South America. Massive potential. Of course the old unelected grey men in Brussels won't like it, but C'est la vie.

“Most Leavers are forward thinkers”

So what’s the plan? Where are the deals?  Where are the customs posts? The stockpiles? The standards? The rules and bureaucracy?  

Planning to Blag it as you go along is not really forward thinking

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

Will I still be able to buy clogs in the uk after brexit?or will sanctions be imposed?

No worries - as long as you wear your clogs on your island.

You can even wear thong sandels in combination with white socks.

An warning though: don't try to pass European immigration with them. You will probably get banned for life.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is all part of the plan to drive up US whisky sales, and no misspelling.

All part of the manipulation in this "great" US trade deal - we will drop the tariff if you drop the name protection.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Cornish pasties and Scotch whisky are among the products that could carry a “Made in America” tag after Brexit.

US lobbyists are calling for the UK to drop geographical name protections after Brexit to allow supermarkets to import American copies.

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/us-lobbying-for-uk-to-drop-food-name-protections-to-sell-scotch-whisky-1-4700965

Why not look at the bright side? Why so negative?

The UK could export "genuine Parma Ham" to the US (the ethnic Italians will be delighted), or "real Spanish Serrano", or Trappist beer, made in Northern Ireland by a protestant brewery.

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Why not look at the bright side? Why so negative?

The UK could export "genuine Parma Ham" to the US (the ethnic Italians will be delighted), or "real Spanish Serrano", or Trappist beer, made in Northern Ireland by a protestant brewery.

Are you saying that one of the benefits of Brexit is that we won’t need to adhere to standards of honesty in food labelling?

I’m not sure that’s entirely a good thing.  Upton Sinclair took a similar view, back in the day.

24 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Are you saying that one of the benefits of Brexit is that we won’t need to adhere to standards of honesty in food labelling?

I’m not sure that’s entirely a good thing.  Upton Sinclair took a similar view, back in the day.

I thought this was what brexit is all about.

No more standards, far west capitalism, winning the race (to the bottom) against US and China, back to the good old 19th century.

27 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

No more standards, far west capitalism, winning the race (to the bottom) against US and China, back to the good old 19th century.

Back in the day, we had the best standards, and stiff upper lips.

Now it seems we blame others for our misfortunes, and we are stepping away from maintaining standards that others can trust.  

After Brexit, as far as I can see, we have two choices; to bring the Europeans under our control, which we have never achieved, or to bring back our recalcitrant colonies.  

Were we to propose that to the voters in the USA, I can see a win-win situation developing....

The Crown or the Clown?  

Edited by StreetCowboy

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Looks like you have never understood what Brexit is all about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Looks like you have never understood what Brexit is all about.

Capitalism over Crown;

Elite over meritocracy;

Facebook over facts.

In the post-modern world. moral values, common sense are obsolete.

I'm not sure that was so well done, Boris.

Luckily Nigel Farage's children can get German citizenship.

Mine cannot.

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Capitalism over Crown;

Elite over meritocracy;

Facebook over facts.

In the post-modern world. moral values, common sense are obsolete.

I'm not sure that was so well done, Boris.

Luckily Nigel Farage's children can get German citizenship.

Mine cannot.

Go and stand in the corner behind Old Hippy.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1