Ex-Dallas police officer Amber Guyger guilty in wrong-apartment murder

webfact

7 hours ago, pegman said:

She stated under questioning that her  determination was to shoot to kill him. That does not sound like an accident to me. Cops are trained to not hesitate and shoot to kill. That's what she did and that is murder. 

From my understanding it was a split second decision.  I only know what has been reported so far from all the facts.   And I could be wrong about murder requiring premeditàtion in Texas (that was stated in a news article on the YouTube video in this thread).   Can you see any premeditàtion?

3 hours ago, Mick501 said:

And I could be wrong about murder requiring premeditàtion in Texas (that was stated in a news article on the YouTube video in this thread).  

You are. Under the Texas penal code for murder, it states that:

A person commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual;  

There is no requirement for premeditation for a charge of murder to be upheld under Texas law.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

You are. Under the Texas penal code for murder, it states that:

There is no requirement for premeditation for a charge of murder to be upheld under Texas law.

Cool, thanks for taking the time to research.  No doubt just a mitigating factor as in most jurisdictions.  I suspected trusting the news article probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.  Cheers.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 1:38 PM, mtls2005 said:

I mean, she confessed and acknowledged that she killed Mr. Jean in testimony.

I wonder who made the call for a jury trial?

Ah, the old "autopilot" defense.

Was she on autopilot when she was on duty?

Ah yes, autopilot of ‘see a person of colour and then shoot’! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:32 AM, pegman said:

Surprised, usually white cops who shoot blacks dead, in that racist country, get a ticket to walk. I thought that state had the death penalty? Is there an exemption for whites who kill blacks? Tellingly, when given a chance to talk, she described how terrible it was for her.

Tellingly, your comments sound much like what you are claiming to identify "in that racist country"..racist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Benmart said:

Tellingly, your comments sound much like what you are claiming to identify "in that racist country"..racist.

Huh? What are you speaking of? Does it take a racist to call the USA racist? I'm going on the evidence I've seen. Both media wise and real life. I've lived 60 miles from that country for 6 decades but outside of transiting airports only gone there a handful of times. On nearly each of the times there I've come across racism. Not to me, I'm as WASP as they come, but to others. Look at who their president is. Do you know none of their history or are you in denial? No, I not racist. I'm someone concerned about racism. Seems for some reason that bothers you. What would that be? 

I understand why cops are trained in places like Dallas not to hesitate and to shoot to kill. Seems it was that training that kicked in and left this poor guy dead. It's better to take the other guy out before they can take you out. With guns being so accessible the presumption is everyone is carrying. My country shares much the same heritage as the U.S. and a 5k long border. My own family landed in the Boston area in 1631 from Bedfordshire, England. But we don't have the same tensions it seems between cops and civilians. Why is that? I think that even though we have lots of guns our laws are much more restrictive. Since the 1930's hand guns have been banned other than on the gun ranges. It's very unlikely for a cop here to come across someone with a gun that's not visible. The result of that is in my city of 800k the last cop shot dead on duty was 40 years ago. I doubt any American city that size can say that. I doubt that woman cop would have shot dead that black guy had this taken place I my hometown. I much prefer our way of doing things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Huh? What are you speaking of? Does it take a racist to call the USA racist? I'm going on the evidence I've seen. Both media wise and real life. I've lived 60 miles from that country for 6 decades but outside of transiting airports only gone there a handful of times. On nearly each of the times there I've come across racism. Not to me, I'm as WASP as they come, but to others. Look at who their president is. Do you know none of their history or are you in denial? No, I not racist. I'm someone concerned about racism. Seems for some reason that bothers you. What would that be? 

I understand why cops are trained in places like Dallas not to hesitate and to shoot to kill. Seems it was that training that kicked in and left this poor guy dead. It's better to take the other guy out before they can take you out. With guns being so accessible the presumption is everyone is carrying. My country shares much the same heritage as the U.S. and a 5k long border. My own family landed in the Boston area in 1631 from Bedfordshire, England. But we don't have the same tensions it seems between cops and civilians. Why is that? I think that even though we have lots of guns our laws are much more restrictive. Since the 1930's hand guns have been banned other than on the gun ranges. It's very unlikely for a cop here to come across someone with a gun that's not visible. The result of that is in my city of 800k the last cop shot dead on duty was 40 years ago. I doubt any American city that size can say that. I doubt that woman cop would have shot dead that black guy had this taken place I my hometown. I much prefer our way of doing things.

Well, I grew up a mile from your country and I wish I could disagree with your assessment, but I can't.

• Thanks 1

This woman deserves 25 years to life and not an early parole for any reason.    She was a cop, she was not a 70 year old woman with dementia and was packing a piece, then got confused of what floor of the condo building she was in.    I am glad that she got some years behind bars, but I guess in the USA, White versus black killing results in this short prison sentence.

Geezer

4 hours ago, neeray said:

And sentencing has now taken place. She got 10 years.

I personally feel that is appropriate it wasent premeditated it was a major skrew up wayyyy to trigger happy that beeing said she dident set out to do it.the victims brother is a beautiful human beeing taking the teachings of Christ to heart and deed grace onto you brother and to the perp I hope you become a better person I know you would change it if you could

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

The victim's brother has displayed enviable (to me), noble and amazing character.

Forgiveness can be redemptive (I'm an agnostic, BTW.)

Give's one hope in the goodness of Man in these dark and troubled times.

This makes most of the racist posts in this thread look all the more pathetic. 

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

This woman deserves 25 years to life and not an early parole for any reason.    She was a cop, she was not a 70 year old woman with dementia and was packing a piece, then got confused of what floor of the condo building she was in.    I am glad that she got some years behind bars, but I guess in the USA, White versus

black killing results in this short prison sentence.

Geezer

Omg, no killing blacks doesn’t result in short sentences.  The only reason she is doing any time at all, is because the victim was black and this is all political pay back for all the other black victims where the perpetrators seemingly got away with it.  She is a scapegoat.  If that apartment had been occupied by a white man or woman and that is who got shot, she would probably go free, as everyone would be sure it was all an accident in that case!!!

55 minutes ago, amykat said:

Omg, no killing blacks doesn’t result in short sentences.  The only reason she is doing any time at all, is because the victim was black and this is all political pay back for all the other black victims where the perpetrators seemingly got away with it.  She is a scapegoat.  If that apartment had been occupied by a white man or woman and that is who got shot, she would probably go free, as everyone would be sure it was all an accident in that case!!!

The question is, if she walked in and saw a white woman eating ice cream would she have shot her?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

The question is, if she walked in and saw a white woman eating ice cream would she have shot her?

Well according to her testimony, that I saw, she never really SAW anybody in detail, she heard someone inside moving around first, she knew someone might be inside because the door was partially open, then she said she saw a silhouette of a figure moving towards her, as it was dark, no lights were on, then a man’s voice said Hey, hey, hey, to her after she asked to show their hands.  I suppose had it actually been a woman, a female voice might have calmed her fears?  Or maybe not, who knows.  

She did did not walk in and just SEE a black man sitting down eating on a sofa and then shoot him, if her testimony is true.  If you heard the testimony I think you might find it believable, she might have been a bit too trigger happy for whatever reason, fearful.  I have recently read that many police just get that way, hyper vigilant, and I think her judgment was bad, she should have made other decisions once she knew someone was in that apartment.  But I would call that negligence just like when we kill someone by making a mistake  when driving.