Loei Promoted As The Hub Of Tourism To Indo China Region

Jai Dee

Loei promoted as the hub of tourism to Indo China region

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the Loei (เลย) Chamber of Commerce, and the Loei Tourism Association are holding the Thailand-Laos-Vietnam Friendship Car Caravan to promote Loei as the hub of tourism to Indo China.

TAT Deputy Governor Jarubunn Pananonda (จารุบุณณ์ ปาณานนท์ ) disclosed TAT plans to link the tourism, culture, and tradition of three nations, and to boost Loei as the hub of tourism to Indo China. The Thailand-Laos-Vietnam Friendship Car Caravan will be held from April 12-16.

The caravan will pass through Tae Lee (ท่าลี่ ) District in Loei province of Thailand – Chaiyabulee (ไชยะบุลี) district of Laos, Luangprabang (หลวงพระบาง) –Udomchai (อุดมไชย) – Dienbienfu (เดียนเบียนฟู), and Viangchan (เวียงจันทร์) of Vietnam - and Nong Khai (หนองคาย) province of Thailand.

Listeners interested in the event can ask for further information at the Loei TAT office, telephone number 042- 812812 or 042-811405.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 March 2007

And what was Loei before it got promoted??????????

Hands up all those who can even find Loei on the map of LOS. :o

Listeners interested in the event can ask for further information at the Loei TAT office, telephone number 042- 812812 or 042-811405.

I am sure the two lines will be humming. :D

The new friendship bridge was dedicated a couple years ago crossing into Laos at Ta Li near Loei. This could cut down travel time to Luang Prabang considerably, except for the poor road condition in Laos. There are, in fact, road signs posted in the area saying to Luang Prabang.

However, when I tried crossing at this point I was told it was still NOT an international border crossing. Laos was not prepared to issue visas or vehicle permits. Does this now mean the status has changed?

I live in Loei province and the people, at least in Muang Loei have absolutely no interest in entering the modern world. They do their best to discourage superstores or any other changes that would affect their local businessmen.

I really want to know - as I have to do a visa run (hopefully in Loei) at the end of april. My understanding is that you can cross here, but you have to get a visa in advance.

Can anyone confirm that?

The last time I re-newed my retirement visa at Chiang Khan there was an Englishman there who wanted to do a Laos visa run. He wasn't happy at all when they told him he had no choice but to go to Nong Kai.

If you want to cross into Laos at that checkpoint you need to get a Visa in advance in either Bangkok or Khon Kaen at the consulate. As far as I know you cannot cross into Laos with a Thai Registered vehicle at that check point at this time. However if you cross at Nong Khai then drive to Luang Prabang then drive back to the Loei checkpoint they will allow you to exit back into Thailand there.

Gary, The current situation with Tesco is no reflection on what the people of Loei want or do not want. If anything it is just a demonstration of greed by Thais and Farang. Its not like Tesco is trying to make Thailand a better place to live but I do appreciate the 10 or so items they offer that are not on sale at smaller markets. It is also nice to shop with air conditioning and isles wide enough to walk down without tripping over people and boxes. That being said, Joe Khao who may make 4,000 baht a month is not going to be standing in the check out line there no matter what they offer as someone has to pay for the space and air, 2 things he will never miss anyway.

If you want to cross into Laos at that checkpoint you need to get a Visa in advance in either Bangkok or Khon Kaen at the consulate. As far as I know you cannot cross into Laos with a Thai Registered vehicle at that check point at this time. However if you cross at Nong Khai then drive to Luang Prabang then drive back to the Loei checkpoint they will allow you to exit back into Thailand there.

That confirms what I have seen around the internet. I was told that I could cross by immigration in Chiang Mai - but I am just paranoid that they said that to get rid of me.

I am going to try and call the Lao consulate and confirm. But I can send off for a visa now - for the end of next month and I can use it at Nong Khai if Tha Li is a non-starter - but Tha Li is only about an hour from my house in Dan Sai - so it's worth a look anyway.

• 1 year later...
I really want to know - as I have to do a visa run (hopefully in Loei) at the end of april. My understanding is that you can cross here, but you have to get a visa in advance.

Can anyone confirm that?

I plan on going to Luang Probang next month and cross the borde at Tha Li(Ban Na Kraseng). Can you tell me what the situaton is now? Can I get a re-entry permit from the Thai immigration and is it possible to get a Laos visa at the border. Any cost estimates?

I keep on asking when Nok Air are going to start flying Muang to Loei again. No replies. As far as I understand there have been no commercial flights Bkk to Loei since October last year?

Getting bored flying to Udon Thani and the 2 hour drive to Loei every couple of months

I like the farang / tourist free area there so I hope it does not become inundated with tour groups , I don't want to share the beautiful scenery with anyone.

Loei is a wonderful town and the area is very beautiful. The airport is one of my favorites to fly into in Thailand! If you haven't been go and explore.

On the contary, Loei is one town I would hope would never be visited by the vast majority of Thai Visa members. They would hate it there. Nothing of interest for them, nothing for them to do. Stay away please!

On the contary, Loei is one town I would hope would never be visited by the vast majority of Thai Visa members. They would hate it there. Nothing of interest for them, nothing for them to do. Stay away please!

I visited for New Year 2006 and imagine some might be interested in the coyote dancers in Robotech and perhaps the many MPs. But I am too long in the tooth for that kind of thing and contented myself with the views.

I visited for New Year 2006 and imagine some might be interested in the coyote dancers in Robotech and perhaps the many MPs. But I am too long in the tooth for that kind of thing and contented myself with the views.

Loei - beautiful weather, nice views, very good outdoor dining near the end of the bung (inner city lake) - good place (loei) for a relaxing break.