Climate Change: An unstoppable movement takes hold

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

If we don,t stop breeding like rabbits none of this is going to matter. When i see some foreign families visiting Thailand with six or more kids. I always ask myself how many is enough?

Families with more than 3 kids are a rarity in the west nowadays.

Roughly 50% of my generation have no kids at all.

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

Dude Im not watching a 12 minute YouTube video to get a simple answer to a question. What was the temperature at the start of the Industrial age. That should be a number. There should be a number for every part of the globe. What is the number?

Why is that so hard? you must believe in Global Warming or whatever the crisis de jour is. So you should have that number screaming at your fingertips. Here fill in the blanks:

In 1880 (or pick a date) the average global temperature was ___. Today it is ____.

Or dont you know? Does anybody? They have thermometers in the outback in 1900? How about in Rhodesia? Or hey, tell me, what was the temperature in the Mae Sot area in 1900?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

1] the hurricanes etc are becoming milder since beginning of century

2] the oceans dont go acid

1] hurricanes are occurring at similar frequency but the overall intensity has increased.

2] the co2 absorbed into the oceans becomes  carbonic acid resulting in acidification. Due to the measured  increase in atmospheric  co2 and the exposure of  oceans to that has increased oceanic co2 levels and the resulting  acidification.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I guess I should throw my science qualifications into the trash basket, as you obviously know better.

Naw dude, you actually are a smart guy for an Aussie with a prediliction for Thai girls half your age.

So you tell me: What was the temperature at the start of the industrial age? That should be the number one prime number, sort of like Genesis, in the beginning, the temperature was ___.

Thanks bro I appreciate it. That question torments my very existence. Please...help...help me....

32 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Thaivisa news headlines are starting to look left wing.

Lots of anti-Trump, pro-global warming stuff.

Is an 18 year old Social Justice Warrior doing the editing ?

i feel triggered by this comment. god i can't believe i used that word but it does sort of fit.

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude Im not watching a 12 minute YouTube video to get a simple answer to a question. What was the temperature at the start of the Industrial age. That should be a number. There should be a number for every part of the globe. What is the number?

Why is that so hard? you must believe in Global Warming or whatever the crisis de jour is. So you should have that number screaming at your fingertips. Here fill in the blanks:

In 1880 (or pick a date) the average global temperature was ___. Today it is ____.

Or dont you know? Does anybody? They have thermometers in the outback in 1900? How about in Rhodesia? Or hey, tell me, what was the temperature in the Mae Sot area in 1900?

'One' report puts it at 0.8 to 1.0 degrees cooler than today.

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

'One' report puts it at 0.8 to 1.0 degrees cooler than today.

Still not an answer. It should be exact. How can you tell how much warmer its gotten if your baseline isnt exact.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Shocking that we can survive it at all. That and the almost imperceptible sea rise.

I wouldnt mind the ocean warming and killing off the Great Whites so I can go in the water safely.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude you look scientific. Here:

WHAT WAS THE TEMPERATURE AT THE START OF THE INDUSTRIAL AGE? 

Why can no one ever answer that. And if you can, where does the data come from?

Approximately 13 degrees Celsius as a global average at the turn of the 20th century

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Approximately 13 degrees Celsius as a global average at the turn of the 20th century

Right on! that leaves me some questions:

1. Approximately. Whats the plus minus variation.

2. How many stations were used to accumulate that data.

3. What equipment was used and its accuracy.

4. How was the temperature calculated? Who did it, using what method?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Not my turn.

17 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I'm not convinced on the greenhouse gas thing. I just see it as one of the cycles the little planet is going through. Gets warmer gets cooler.

The planet you wake up in every morning is a little bit different from yesterday.

Volcanos make a little bit more land. Some little islands go under water. Some continents get a little bit closer, some a little bit further apart.

At one time the Sahara was a forest and most of the prairie lands in Canada were sea bed.

We're not in charge, the little planet is and it will have the final say. We have no decision on that.

Energy resources are finite so therefore will run out.

The more we breed the more energy we need.

Forget exponential curves, go more for the slippery slope.

The little planet will find a way to rid itself of us, or one day a big chunk of something will smack into the little planet and it's goodnight Vienna.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And would like the serial number of the equipment? Lol

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Basic thermodynamics. The heat we generate is absorbed by the oceans. Before the Industrial Revolution, the contribution of humans to heat was infinitesimal. Weren't enough of us, no planes, cars or power stations. No air conditioners set at 18 C.

We did have a big hot ball we're circulating around back then, though. You know, the one that comes up every day, changes it's intensity and distance from earth. Of course changes in our primary source of energy on the ball have nada to do with temps, it's got to be man made. Just make it really real and call it white middle aged straight meat eating man made and we'll be at the center of the movement.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, monkfish said:

And would like the serial number of the equipment? Lol

No thats not necessary. Do you feel Im asking to much? Im not a scientist, just a not very bright dude who wants to understand.

58 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe better than the chinese thermometer I bought a year ago that tells me it's never gone above or below 32'C for the past year.

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

1] hurricanes are occurring at similar frequency but the overall intensity has increased.

2] the co2 absorbed into the oceans becomes  carbonic acid resulting in acidification. Due to the measured  increase in atmospheric  co2 and the exposure of  oceans to that has increased oceanic co2 levels and the resulting  acidification.

the majority of the top hurricanes came before 1950

https://www.iii.org/table-archive/20963

heres cyclone intensity

cyclones.jpg