Almost denied entry METV DMK

On 10/6/2019 at 3:02 AM, Matzzon said:

They can do exactly what they want.

Yep its as simple as that. Its completely hit and miss. I'm always amazed I havent been tugged more than the once despite strictly keeping within general guidelines.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, treetops said:

they just want them to have the right visa.  In this case, the OP doesn't appear to be a tourist but is using a tourist visa.

Right ????

Try this in Australia and you will jailed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, zhangxifu said:

Thanks to OP for sharing the experience! Good that you explained the family aspect and the problem got solved easily. That confirms their recent behaviour. Immigration targets longtime stays on tourist visas. After you go official with your relationship to your future wife and register the marriage there won't be any more problems for you to enter Thailand with the Non-O visas and you can stay as long as you like, with your family of course. Congrats!

Thank you for the kind words

3 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Who would be taking a newborn baby on vacation to a foreign land? Healthcare is good in Thailand but you need to know the ropes. What do the Swedish pediatricians say about this?  Most newborns (<6 months) are home bound most of the time at least they aren't out trekking in the countryside or playing in a sandy beach.

The way maternity leave works in Sweden you don’t have to take it all after the birth, so they usually wait six+ months. I forget how long you have to use it, but it is a significant time. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, GeorgeCross said:

so much easier to just target people who have been here too many times than actually arrest them breaking the law whilst working lol!

never mind all those who weren't.. collateral damage

thai logic never ceases to amaze me

so now, one METV per year for a couple of years is too many?? why bother even granting them?!

Yeah, the logic of saying "You come to Thailand too many times" to somebody who gets METVs is inane.  Tourists often spend more on shorter term housing and things than long time stayers do due to less long term discounts, and such.  Why Thailand would not want or at the moment seems to not want repeat tourists is just crazy.  Sure some people abuse the Visas and are working or teaching school or whatever.  But many just want to and are able to travel long time and often. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, treetops said:

I think they're OK with people spending lots of time (and money) in Thailand, they just want them to have the right visa.  In this case, the OP doesn't appear to be a tourist but is using a tourist visa.

Ok Mr. Treetops you say they just want him to have the right visa to stay in Thailand long time and spend his money what visa is that?  He is 45 so can't get a retirement visa , has not married his Thai GF yet so can't get a visa or extension to stay by reason of marriege. A METV is supposed to give you up to 9 months stay in Thailand with extensions but now even after a  consulate or embassy has granted one IO's can say "no you stay too long."  Elite visa ? Kind of a waste of money ( $15,000 to $28,000 USD )especially if you don't wish to spend all your time in Thailand and elite is a tourist visa just as the METV is except they give you longer time and have to pay more.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:51 PM, SteveK said:

"if we give you 60 days you go to Cambodia, not come back to Thailand?"

Why are they so scared of people spending lots of time (and money) in Thailand?

What they desire is that people arrive for a week or two, deposit a shed load of cash into the local economy and depart. They don't want under 50 year olds "living" in the country.

Happy days of back to back visa exempt entries for an indefinite period are long gone, along with the smile.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What they desire is that people arrive for a week or two, deposit a shed load of cash into the local economy and depart. They don't want under 50 year olds "living" in the country.

Happy days of back to back visa exempt entries for an indefinite period are long gone, along with the smile.

Spot on! That's why TAT is pushing so hard for Chinese tourists.They're a quick in and out.Though most of them have spent their money prior to arriving on booked package tours in China.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Ok Mr. Treetops you say they just want him to have the right visa to stay in Thailand long time and spend his money what visa is that?  He is 45 so can't get a retirement visa , has not married his Thai GF yet so can't get a visa or extension to stay by reason of marriege. A METV is supposed to give you up to 9 months stay in Thailand with extensions but now even after a  consulate or embassy has granted one IO's can say "no you stay too long."  Elite visa ? Kind of a waste of money ( $15,000 to $28,000 USD )especially if you don't wish to spend all your time in Thailand and elite is a tourist visa just as the METV is except they give you longer time and have to pay more.

Thank you very pointing out the obvious. For me there's no other visa option.Might too add thai consulate Melbourne.Suggested the METV. FYI not that this makes a difference, but I spend a lot money here.I don't intend to live cheaply,I like to eat out nice restaurants with my gf and her kids do all things  fun with them...If IOs mainly DMK don't want ppl like here, well so be it.I'll be happy to spend my money at home..

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nomad001 said:

Spot on! That's why TAT is pushing so hard for Chinese tourists.They're a quick in and out.Though most of them have spent their money prior to arriving on booked package tours in China.

Chinese travel agencies make the bulk of the money, i.e. most of the cash stays in China, corrupt Thai officials get their cut, Chinese-owned or -managed hotels and restaurants, as well as King Power, in Thailand get the remainder; everyone wins, except the traders and lower classes of Thailand...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Chinese travel agencies make the bulk of the money, corrupt Thai officials get their cut, Chinese-owned or -managed hotels and restaurants get the remainder; everyone wins, except the traders and lower classes of Thailand...

So true, a friend of mine bought into hotel on phuket. Problems he had with dodgy chinese tour companies and ccorrupt officials there.Long story he sold out asap! He said never again.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, SteveK said:

"if we give you 60 days you go to Cambodia, not come back to Thailand?"

Why are they so scared of people spending lots of time (and money) in Thailand?

They are worried Thai people are making too much money from foreigners and they want Thailand to be poor again.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, EricTh said:

Tourist visas are meant for tourists and not long term stays. If you want to see how a real tourist behave, go and look at what the Chinese tourists do.

Thailand is more concerned about the drop in Chinese tourists than anything else because they are big spenders and Thailand's biggest tourist market when compared to the cheap Charlies of certain countries.

There are loads of young Chinese "tourists" living here doing "long-term stays". Both of the young male & female varieties. Living in Pattaya for example. So how are these young Chinese manage to live in Thailand?

Edited by bbi1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Stevie settle. Fact is the farang that come here couple of times a year have zero problems. Yes agree they spend big. Then run home. That's what Thai want. They don't want folk spending 40 baht on soup.

Its not about concern about working illegally. Its about financial contribution. Get with program. Farang, esp younger folk trying live here ongoing ain't worth it in Thai thinking. Mino

Then they should get rid of the old farts on retirement visas who have no money. The ones who as you say spend 40 baht on soup and dress like they have no money or dress really bad. See lots of these folks walking around. Especially around Pattaya.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

Entering with valid tourist visa, no way would person be denied entry in Western nation.

I take it you've never seen any of the numerous "Border Patrol" type "reality" programs from around the world.

15 hours ago, BritTim said:

Indeed, if you can make up your mind to marry a Thai woman within the short period of time the officials you encounter deem appropriate to visit Thailand for sightseeing, then there are options available. If course, if you happened to fall in love with someone of the same sex, you would be out of luck.

I am not sure whether you are aware that Thailand accepts homosexuality.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed off topic video

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why do they want over 50's "living' here then? They are more likely to be saving every satang as has been seen on the forum and all over the streets of Pattaya, not to mention lots of them are not having health insurance (again as mentioned many times on this forum). Lot's of them aren't spending money here unlike the "week or two, deposit a shed load of cash into the local economy and depart". Not to mention many reported to have been jumping off balconies all over Pattaya and even in BKK too which doesn't promote a nice image of Thailand.

Edited by bbi1

14 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

What constitutes a tourist though?  If you own a condo can you be a tourist for a few months a year when you visit the country?  If you come and go (for months), you pretty clearly are not a resident.  Does having friends in LOS make you not a tourist?

I mean it as an honest question.  The METV would make it seem like it is ok to spend 6 months coming in and out of the country, which might not be the traditional realm of a tourist, but it was common for backpackers decades ago to do that.

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

I honestly don't know the answer, but a tourist as I see it does not stay 6 or 9 months at a time.  Elite Visa is not a tourist visa so probably more appropriate.

I currently have a METV, used so far for one trip where I entered and exited Thailand multiple times.  I intend to do the same before the visa expiry in January.  I think that is closer to the intended purpose of the METV than staying the 6 or 9 months mentioned.

9 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Actually the cost of the Elite Visa vs Non O retirement isn't that great. If I were living in the Bangkok area, an Elite Visa might make sense with the perks, but I live 600 KM north. Italy would be OK but I don't speak Italian.

What perks are those Fred that you would pay $280 a month for??