EU rejects UK's request for weekend talks as Johnson insists on no Brexit delay

rooster59

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Nobody force the UK to leave" no they didn't, but unlike the EU I thought we had a system called democracy, it may not be the ideal system but it has generally served us quite well through the ages. The UK offered us a vote and we voted leave, so whether you or the EU like it or not we are leaving. If our weak kneed politicians had not taken no-deal off the table the UK would be in a better position to negotiate, but as it is they have left very little scope for Boris to negotiate a deal acceptable to the UK, so by just sitting back and not willing to talk and being intransigent could be described as bad faith to some. Best just to walk away and let the EU stew.

so we agree the EU didn't force the UK to leave, correct? than should stop finger pointing to the EU and blaming the EU for the internal UK problems, as I see it, your energy would be better served blaming the UK parliament/ministers/PM's ministers and maybe even the Queen, after all she did accept BJ request to shut parliament, maybe she's  accomplice on all of this non sense

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, el torro said:

Interesting that you are more concerned with 'looks' than substance.

There is no substance... It's politics 

I don't live there, so don't really pay any attention to whats actually going on.. Maybe I should but I've got better things to do with my time..

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

"Nobody force the UK to leave" no they didn't, but unlike the EU I thought we had a system called democracy, it may not be the ideal system but it has generally served us quite well through the ages.

What served you will through the ages was a system called representative parliamentary democracy. Until the day when a desperate PM confused the whole system with an opinion poll. 

The UK offered us a vote and we voted leave, so whether you or the EU like it or not we are leaving.

It’s cute that you’re still believing in it. 

Best just to walk away and let the EU stew.

You’d have to find a majority for that. But you chose to alienate everyone. Clever strategy. Must come from Rumpelstilzchen Cummings. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mavideol said:

so we agree the EU didn't force the UK to leave, correct? than should stop finger pointing to the EU and blaming the EU for the internal UK problems, as I see it, your energy would be better served blaming the UK parliament/ministers/PM's ministers and maybe even the Queen, after all she did accept BJ request to shut parliament, maybe she's  accomplice on all of this non sense

You still havn't got your head around the meaning of democracy have you.

It will not be anyone from this side of the channel that is finger pointing, it will be the German and French industries pointing the finger at the apathetic EU for not doing more to prevent a no deal, good luck with that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, el torro said:

Which is why the negotiating agenda didn't even include trade talks - instead, money to be paid to the EU (before trade talks had even started!) was at the top of the agenda.

But accepting your 'argument' - why on earth didn't the EU refuse extensions a while ago?

maybe... money to be paid ?  maybe... we help our neighbors and (maybe) friends?   maybe... the EU doesn't want to be blamed for the UK mistakes thus let the door open ? maybe... they were expecting the UK to come to some sense and government stability?   maybe... maybe...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, vogie said:

He may have a way out "of this mess," but he just hasn't told you, or the rest of us for that matter, only time will tell and we don't have long to wait before our predicted leave date.

It has been suggested by a senior government MP that there is a lot Boris could do to disrupt the EU, one suggestion would be to appoint Nigel Farage as the UKs EU commissionair, wouldn't that be fun?????????????

So he likes to (try) play chess with 1 piece against 27 pieces …????? I can see how his present chess strategy worked out ????????

You really  think that the E.U. have nothing to really disrupt the U.K....?? in return ….

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

You still havn't got your head around the meaning of democracy have you.

It will not be anyone from this side of the channel that is finger pointing, it will be the German and French industries pointing the finger at the apathetic EU for not doing more to prevent a no deal, good luck with that.

again you didn't disappoint me, when things don't go the way you want, your next reaction is the blaming game..... but I know nothing about democracy anyway, am just venting 555

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Basil B said:

That was not a reflection of my opinion of any poster...

Please do not try deflecting the issue with BS.

"May's deal was 'leave in name only', and the boris 'deal' isn't much better." that's your opinion which I disagree on, but why not put it to the country with a referendum?

Please try not to describe opinions with which you disagree as BS.

We had a referendum, and the result was to leave the EU, and this has not been enacted.

If our politicians are allowed to get away with subverting such a 'popular' vote (i.e. drew far more of the electorate into voting than previously), then they will be even more happy to ignore the electorate in the future.

And going forward, this is my main fear.

Edited by el torro
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, david555 said:

So he likes to (try) play chess with 1 piece against 27 pieces …????? I can see how his present chess strategy worked out ????????

You really  think that the E.U. have nothing to really disrupt the U.K....?? in return ….

'Checkmate? Nah, we'll declare a Republic and keep playing...'

13 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Cummings is good at his job, any of the advisory think tanks or advisers even Campbell will tell you that, which is more than can be said for most of parliament.  :whistling:

Everyone gotta eat and make a buck yknow. Your just butthurt hes working for a Brexit result thats all.

Oh, I definitely agree, it would be much less entertainment without him. Brexit has been almost four years of great entertainment with people making a fool of themselves. Another reason for more extensions.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, david555 said:

"You really  think that the E.U. have nothing to really disrupt the U.K....?? in return …."

Like what, threaten to kick us out of the EU if we don't behave.????????????????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, vogie said:

honouring the democratic vote what the electorate voted for.

They voted based on lies and mis-information.. Hardly democratic in nature really !!

Look at the mess it has become in the hands of the people who were supposed to deliver. 

Why would you put the decision to the average layman who isn't involved in politics at all ??

I get paid in US$ though, so happy days ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

always the easy way out, the easy escape with the blaming game....it's not us, it's them

The EU has been more than nice cooperating with all the UK non sense, if it was me, I would have run away for the negotiating table long,  long time ago

"with all the UK non sense, if it was me, I would have run away for the negotiating table long,  long time ago"

+99

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, z42 said:

I don't really know what else he can do if the EU are not even appearing to want to thrash out deals in an already short timeframe.

It is very obvious that key players in the UK and EU establishment want to derail the whole thing. As much as i dislike Boris, his skullduggery is no worse than the EU's blatant unwillingness to even negotiate reasonably.

I hope the UK make a clean break. How can an exit be worse than a constant limbo.

Why the EU should AGAIN negotiate, and for a proposal with no real new views, with also not the slightest idea, if this one will pass the UK Parliament ? 

Since Dec 2013, when Cameron camwe with this referendum story, the British had time to think over, what if, and then next...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

You are right on the principle but the EU can not.

Without agreement, the financial dispute will be arbitrated in court by endless procedures.

The EU must therefore show a conciliatory attitude to the end even if it is not its will.

In this context, Johnson's statements in the form of ultimatum are like blessed bread.

We agree.

The EU power structure is only interested in the money - and hence the survival of their power and wealth.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, el torro said:

Posters stating that other posters are asking for unicorns is an insult IMO.

If you don’t want to be called chasing unicorns, stop chasing unicorns. 

The referendum resulted in a leave vote, so it's not 'brexiteers wanting something for nothing', as you imply.

Your domestic problems are not ours to solve. You decided to confuse your representative democracy with a non-binding manipulated opinion poll. 

Extensions just prolong the problem, as has already been made clear.

Again, not our problem. We can live with extensions. If you don’t want them, don’t request them. 

Just now, Mavideol said:

again you didn't disappoint me, when things don't go the way you want, your next reaction is the blaming game..... but I know nothing about democracy anyway, am just venting 555

Serious question, do you think the EU is doing enough or could do more. And do you think they should be doing more to help protect their interests at their side of the channel, intransigence will not keep the wheels of industry turning you know.

• Like 2

Just now, vogie said:

Serious question, do you think the EU is doing enough or could do more. And do you think they should be doing more to help protect their interests at their side of the channel, intransigence will not keep the wheels of industry turning you know.

We are doing enough to protect our interests. The rest is not our problem. 

• Thanks 1

Just wait until next few weeks, the media are going ramp up the rhetoric get everyone real worked up into as much as a fenzy as possible and milk every click every minute of airtime and make drama out of anything they can,  the meltdown of people overly emotionally invested in this circus show is going to be hilarious... especially Parliament and outside. 

If theres a delay it wont be too bad like the last few delays just the Tories will be toast most likely but....  if we do leave some over emotional turkeys are going to utterly lose it, which i must confess ill find highly amusing. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

They voted based on lies and mis-information.. Hardly democratic in nature really !!

Look at the mess it has become in the hands of the people who were supposed to deliver. 

Why would you put the decision to the average layman who isn't involved in politics at all ??

I get paid in US$ though, so happy days ????

Please quote the entire post, not just a snippet.

The rest of your post (or most of it) is pure biased opinion - the rest is 'I'm alright Jack'.

But I do agree that UK MPs have proven themselves more than untrustworthy when it comes to respecting the electorate.

And yes, I would put the decision to "the average layman" rather than politicians.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vogie said:

"no customs union, no single market" .. if the E.U is the source of all evils, why just not leave, without a deal, as soon as possible, as it was what Brexiteers voted for - or what?    

Edited by Opl
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Why should the EU want to negotiate with a faithless partner that is threatening to blow everything that they've built up? Why would they want to talk to a known pathological liar about anything? Boris is a clown and now the whole world is getting to see it. Love the irony.

So hopefully the EU will refuse any further extensions?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Why the EU should AGAIN negotiate, and for a proposal with no real new views, with also not the slightest idea, if this one will pass the UK Parliament ? 

Since Dec 2013, when Cameron camwe with this referendum story, the British had time to think over, what if, and then next...

"Why the EU should AGAIN negotiate"

You are of course, referring to May's undoubted 'surrender' agreement with the EU - that would have left the UK tied to (and paying) to the EU forever?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Why should the EU want to negotiate with a faithless partner that is threatening to blow everything that they've built up? Why would they want to talk to a known pathological liar about anything? Boris is a clown and now the whole world is getting to see it. Love the irony.

How can the UK "blow everything that they've built up?"

Or do you think that the lack of UK funds will result in the EU withering within a short period of time?

Edited by el torro
  • Like 1