EU rejects UK's request for weekend talks as Johnson insists on no Brexit delay

rooster59

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

May's deal gave us everything Cummings and his team promised Brexit would deliver during the referendum campaign; apart from the Irish backstop.

How so?

I thought you Brexiteers all claimed to know the full details of May's deal and to have explained why you think it is a bad deal many times in the past?

The above indicates that you, for one at least, don't have a Scooby about what was actually in May's deal, nor what Cummings promised in his campaign!

TM promised that the UK would leave the EU completely by 31st March this year but as far as I can see we are still in the EU 6 months after that date.

Yes, and who is to blame for that? Rees-Mogg with his ERG, Boris Johnson and their Tory supporters who all put their personal ambition ahead of the country.

What May's deal would have meant was that the transitional period would have begun on March 30th. A transitional period which would have meant an orderly exit with as little disruption as possible. 

Unlike the chaos of a no deal Brexit. 

I assume you are not in the UK, because if you were you would have seen the multitudinous motorway dot matrix signs warning lorry drivers about a possible change in EU paperwork from 1st November if there's no deal. The many billboards and press adverts warning us all to prepare for a no deal Brexit.

I can't be bothered with the rest of you post as IMHO it is wrong.

You may not care for it'; but the Act is there on the Statute Book! What are youyr legal qualifications which enable you to declare it wrong?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, englishoak said:

he Commons voted on the  article 50 programme by a majority of 384 votes, to 114 on feb 17 then again MPs voted 461 to 89 in favour of the motion in march to trigger it. THAT made it legally binding, then the parties all also pledged once again to uphold the decision to leave when May called an election. 

True, but 57% of voters in 2017 voted for parties who categorically ruled out a no deal Brexit in their manifestoes!

4 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Your correct about Parliament being a shower, only cowards turn tail and traitors go back on their repeated support and solemn word given 3 times no less at both election and bill. But its far worse than that... the opposition parties will NOT grant the people an election to clean out this zombie Parliament knowing they who have lied and cheated so long, at least 50 unwilling to even give a bi election as respect for the local electorate demands will most certainly be out of a job. Literally the country is being held hostage by i would call it now a rouge and traitorous Parliament.  

Proroguing Parliament to stop the people's representatives from questioning him failed, so why should the opposition parties grant Johnson his election so he can dissolve Parliament until after 1st November?

I live in a constituency which voted Remain by a large majority; yet our MP is a solid Brexiteer. Should he resign as he obviously doesn't represent our views? Or, like most Brexiteers, do you not apply the same rules to those who share your views?

8 minutes ago, englishoak said:

The day of an election is coming, and on that day ive no doubt that the people will purge much of the rotten scum that infests it. 

Were I Johnson, I'd be very wary of my relatively small majority when the election does come!

With his unlawful proroguing, Johnson has more in common with Charles I than Cromwell! But then again, Cromwell dismissed Parliament and ruled as a dictator for 11 years, so maybe Johnson does want to emulate him.

Although I trust Johnson doesn't share Cromwell's genocidal tendencies when it comes to the Irish and Catholics!

To say Cromwell was

16 minutes ago, englishoak said:

governing mostly justly

shows a large lack of historical fact!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, englishoak said:

The Commons voted on the  article 50 programme by a majority of 384 votes, to 114 on feb 17 then again MPs voted 461 to 89 in favour of the motion in march to trigger it. THAT made it legally binding, then the parties all also pledged once again to uphold the decision to leave when May called an election. 

Your correct about Parliament being a shower, only cowards turn tail and traitors go back on their repeated support and solemn word given 3 times no less at both election and bill. But its far worse than that... the opposition parties will NOT grant the people an election to clean out this zombie Parliament knowing they who have lied and cheated so long, at least 50 unwilling to even give a bi election as respect for the local electorate demands will most certainly be out of a job. Literally the country is being held hostage by i would call it now a rouge and traitorous Parliament.  The day of an election is coming, and on that day ive no doubt that the people will purge much of the rotten scum that infests it. 

Cromwells speech of the long parliament in the house actually says it best of MPs when after 6 years of dither and not going to the people for a vote, the following before shutting it down and governing mostly justly as Lord protector until he died  

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter’d your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have ye not defil’d this sacred place, and turn’d the Lord’s temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress’d, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!”

Oliver Cromwell – April 20, 1653

So when people hear whines about language in the house be reminded these tricksters have been deservedly called worse, this is what MPS mostly are and always have been. Once the common man knew this, now they are learning it again.  Apples dont fall far from the tree, even after 500 years that power still corrupts today and given the chance they would keep it for nothing but their own ends and benefits, not the peoples. 

I am in awe. Post of the month. Thank you Mr. Tree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, englishoak said:

The Commons voted on the  article 50 programme by a majority of 384 votes, to 114 on feb 17 then again MPs voted 461 to 89 in favour of the motion in march to trigger it. THAT made it legally binding

Wrong, none of that turned the advisory referendum into a legally binding one. 

then the parties all also pledged once again to uphold the decision to leave when May called an election. 

Again, wrong. Not all parties pledged to leave. And more than 50% of the electorate voted for manifestos against a no-deal Brexit. Parliament is respecting that wish of the electorate; BJ and the Tories aren’t.  

Labour: Reject no-deal and retain single market and customs union — 40%

Greens: Referendum and campaign for remain — 1.6%

Libdem: Referendum and campaign for remain — 7.4%

SNP: Remain in the single market — 3.0%

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Wrong, none of that turned the advisory referendum into a legally binding one. 

That’s more than 50% against a no-deal Brexit. 

After the 2017 GE: 

Using votes not seats as it was a GE.

CONS and DUP had 50.3%.

Your Labour number is about right but their manifesto position was constantly shifting and as impossible to track as is their ever-shifting position on Brexit today. What country exists outside the EU that has access to both the single market AND the customs union? They might just as well have said they want to revoke A50. I wonder why they didn't??

After having said that they want to respect the referendum result, a large block of their own voters can see the lies and are now lost to Labour.   

Lib Dems did not win 7.4%, they won 1.8%. SNP 5.4%. (seats).

Edited by nauseus
They might just as well have said they want to revoke A50. I wonder why they didn't??
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

If that was a General election  , then people vote on various issues .

For example, Labour voters who wanted to leave the EU  and who voted for Brexit would have still voted for Labour .

The G.E was not a vote on a singular issue

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Nothing like know-nothings in history digging stuff up to justify their nonsense. They probably won't tell you that after the Restoration Cromwell's body was dug up and his head spiked outside Parliament. Is this what Hard Brexiteers are intending for Boris?

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wasnt a historical thread but happy to expand. Cromwell was  offered the crown and to become king, he refused but he was buried in Westminster abbey with full ceremony. Sadly Richard was not is father and deposed by the very officers who had marched in his father’s funeral procession six months before Nor do you mention On January 30, 1661, Oliver Cromwell, former Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland, was removed from his grave and “executed” 2 years after his death, officially executing him for treason. His head was displayed on a spike in the manner of the day and his body disposed of in a pit. The “execution” took place exactly 12 years after the execution of Charles I on the orders of Charles 2 a vengeful and pointless act but hey ho its history all the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Nothing like know-nothings in history digging stuff up to justify their nonsense. They probably won't tell you that after the Restoration Cromwell's body was dug up and his head spiked outside Parliament. Is this what Hard Brexiteers are intending for Boris?

Nothing like know-nothings, great line! But I don't think Cromwell's end was irrelevant to this comparison, which the closest we have, except that today's parliament is even worse! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

can we do that to Boris now please ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, englishoak said:

Wasnt a historical thread but happy to expand. Cromwell was  offered the crown and to become king, he refused but he was buried in Westminster abbey with full ceremony. Sadly Richard was not is father and deposed by the very officers who had marched in his father’s funeral procession six months before Nor do you mention On January 30, 1661, Oliver Cromwell, former Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland, was removed from his grave and “executed” 2 years after his death, officially executing him for treason. His head was displayed on a spike in the manner of the day and his body disposed of in a pit. The “execution” took place exactly 12 years after the execution of Charles I on the orders of Charles 2 a vengeful and pointless act but hey ho its history all the same. 

There is a movie about it  : To kill a King     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302436/

Drama's in the making in case no deal Brexit ....

no problems for E.U working ones in the the U.K. or U.K. workers in E.U. as covered by their work system , but pensioners are then same as WE all here in Thailand concerning health care costs !

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/like-death-sentence-retired-britons-eu-face-loss-healthcare

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Basil B said:

There is no reason why a referendum can not be legally binding, just depends on the wording of the bill that is needed for any referendum, but it makes common senses to make them only binding if there is a clear majority as done in most other countries.

Agreed

Nothing like know-nothings, great line! But I don't think Cromwell's end was irrelevant to this comparison, which the closest we have, except that today's parliament is even worse! 
Today's Parliament is great for sticking it to Boris and the no-deal team. Let's just hope they keep it up. As for the Hard Brexiteers trying to wallow in some historical nonsense to justify their anti-Parliamentary antics, its pathetic.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Today's Parliament is great for sticking it to Boris and the no-deal team. Let's just hope they keep it up. As for the Hard Brexiteers trying to wallow in some historical nonsense to justify their anti-Parliamentary antics, its pathetic.

Is that right?  not from what Ive just read,all clear now for Boris,no more hurdles to overcome,well done Boris

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Is that right?  not from what Ive just read,all clear now for Boris,no more hurdles to overcome,well done Boris

Yes , the judge found the former verdict with his personal written pledge concerning the Ben act forfilling  sufficient ..said those assurances were unequivocal.

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zorrow424 said:

I think a rather pyrrhic victory for Boris. The only way he was able to keep the judge from ruling against him was to promise in court that he would comply voluntarily. I suppose you can call that a victory, but the end result is the same. Unless he changes his mind and breaks the law anyway, of course. Then it might take the court an extra 24 hours to pass a new judgement applying penalties.  Don't see how those few hours would benefit him at all, and he runs an additional risk of being convicted of lying to the court in addition to violating the Benn Act.

The fact on the ground is that nobody today is any closer to knowing if he is bluffing or not.  Suppose we'll find out in 12 days.

4 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I think a rather pyrrhic victory for Boris. The only way he was able to keep the judge from ruling against him was to promise in court that he would comply voluntarily. I suppose you can call that a victory, but the end result is the same. Unless he changes his mind and breaks the law anyway, of course. Then it might take the court an extra 24 hours to pass a new judgement applying penalties.  Don't see how those few hours would benefit him at all, and he runs an additional risk of being convicted of lying to the court in addition to violating the Benn Act.

The fact on the ground is that nobody today is any closer to knowing if he is bluffing or not.  Suppose we'll find out in 12 days.

Boris is not bluffing,one of just four options,all would be successful,     out is out 31/10

• Confused 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:36 AM, welovesundaysatspace said:

I wouldn’t negotiate with a janitor who feels entitled for a 1,000% pay raise because his wife and kids told him so. Other’s domestic problems are their’s to solve. 

What's all this nonsense got to do with Britain leaving the eu?

• Like 1