Is tourism in Thailand set to get worse before it gets better?

rooster59

Humm, yep! It will get worse; Chinese entering Taiwan in 2020 (well documented leak), Trump and his band of circus performers itching to go at it with Iran, Hong Kong and pressures from China.

A slight bump on the road and Thailand will lose A LOT of Chinese tourists and then it trickles down to other nationalities.

I'm in ko chang and yes a lot of Chinese do to their holidays but that's it. Anyway I don't care. 

Last week I flew in and had 5 hours to kill until my next flight to sukhothai as they have cancelled the midday flight to sukhothai, normally 2 hours from the plane to getting a beer. Immigration 10 minutes and then my bag was waiting for me.first time in 20 years so you do the maths.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"In recent years Thailand’s tourist industry has gone from strength to strength...."

Lost me on that first sentence.....

90EDF09A-ABD3-4256-89D5-8CF0A2C48E02.png

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"In recent years Thailand’s tourist industry has gone from strength to strength...."

Lost me on that first sentence.....

Think GDP, not "quality" the income derived from tourism in the past 20 years has increased massively! along with booming export income - they now have one of the strongest currency's in the world - unfortunate though the facts may be!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lootarzoon said:

As a boutique resort in Samui, I foresee 50% lay off staff for 2020 to let the resort survive about 30 to 40 % less occupation.

Bangkok airways monopoly offering only over expensive tickets  added to never enough flights during high season allowed by government, cannot bring enough tourists anymore to fill up correctly ever extented numbers of facilities through numerous new hotels & resorts. This, including a super growth of Aibnb offers on the Island those last 2 years.

Need to also take account of fed up tourists basic concerns over the ever deep problems of trash and noise polution by the main road (due lack of original exhaust pipes on bikes and cars)

We still suffer some electricity cuts, some shortage of water, then wifi connections not fully cleared, + the reputation of dangerousity of the roads not helping, it is said that for a small Island population, an average of 3 people die and 50 are injured every couple of days.., not forgetting Taxi meters scams i.e...

We enjoyed some great time, its over for at least 2 or 3 y till above points can be somewhat taken care off by the central and municipality governments bodies. Good luck to Samui.. 

Sorry difficult me to understand. 

But you say= now have too much room hotel/villa/ Airbnb. But it impossible to get more customer in Samui.

Because Bangkokair owner the airport and not enough plane can bring the people? 

Ps. I went to Samui when I the kid. Is beautiful place. I went back this year and it to busy now. And rubbish a lot. Building to much.

Good luck. I hope Bangkokair change it for you.

• Confused 1