Vientiane Tourist Visa DENIED

This is exactly what visitors have been doing by trying to take maximum advantage of the soft side of the law.

In most of the civilized countries stay of more then 90 days must be declared in advance and there are no border runs.

Must obtain a long stay visa in TH.

6 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Visa does not guarantee entry. Take note, he will be deported back to his home country if flying in from Hanoi and denied entry. Vietam refuses to accept Thai rejects unlike Malaysia. 

Since you quoted my post, I didn't make any recommendation with regards to choosing where to re-enter Thailand. That's obviously a separate issue, but not really a big deal at this time.

It's plain wrong that "Vietnam refuses to accept Thai rejects". Vietnam simply does not cancel its exit stamps in this scenario (unlike some other countries), so the real question is whether or not such a "Thailand reject" is eligible for re-entry to Vietnam. A potential pitfall with this is that someone who had entered Vietnam visa exempt isn't eligible for another visa exempt entry that soon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

You're wrong. My history - in my current passport alone - is far more extensive than the OP's friend's history. That didn't stop Hanoi from issuing a SETV to me. I don't think they would mind his extended visa exempt stays - I have 4 of these in my current passport, plus 3 SETVs from elsewhere. To be clear, each and every one extended.

Good info. And how did you enter the country with this method? By land, by air? Which port? Thanks! 

I have been seeing a lot of these denied visa and almost denied threads lately.

It seems immigration is getting tougher on tourists who aren't really tourists.

If you go to another country like Malaysia embassy, wouldn't the same rule applies?

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have been seeing a lot of these denied visa and almost denied threads lately.

It seems immigration is getting tougher on tourists who aren't really tourists.

If you go to another country like Malaysia embassy, wouldn't the same rule applies?

it also seems that many comments are disappearing from these threads as well. maybe people are getting upset at being fed a spoonful of truth in life.

times have changed. welcome to the new world. 

16 hours ago, mosan said:

That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to recommend to this guy to keep on pushing the system. You may just have been lucky and overlook by the immigrations officers on this end.  The prudent thing for him to do is to quit while he is ahead.  

He was getting the tourist visa to convert it into Type O for retirement. Not trying to beat the system. Trying to go legit. 

2 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

He was getting the tourist visa to convert it into Type O for retirement. Not trying to beat the system. Trying to go legit. 

you happened to leave that out of your original post. so as it stands it simply looks like another one trying to game the system. hence the replies. 

1 minute ago, sillyfool said:

you happened to leave that out of your original post. so as it stands it simply looks like another one trying to game the system. hence the replies. 

I didn't feel the need to justify someone else's behavior. I assumed TV posters would overflow with compassion.   ????

5 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

I didn't feel the need to justify someone else's behavior. I assumed TV posters would overflow with compassion.   ????

lesson learned ? haha

you may find a large number expats growing very tired of watching these things happen. a few bad apples .....well you know the rest. 

21 minutes ago, sillyfool said:

lesson learned ? haha

you may find a large number expats growing very tired of watching these things happen. a few bad apples .....well you know the rest. 

Let him without sin cast the first stone!  ????

5 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Let him without sin cast the first stone!  ????

come on now that is an unfair analogy. times are changing and it is up to the individual to change with it....or get left out so to speak. 

the days of unfettered abuse on the thai immigration system are numbered. as are those doing the abuse. unfair of me to say ? sure. pi** of some people with my remark ? sure.

regardless of one's willingness to accept what is happening, it is happening. 

did people really believe that things would stay the same ? 

5 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Good info. And how did you enter the country with this method? By land, by air? Which port? Thanks! 

Flying in with such a history would be high-risk nowadays. As I'm not in a hurry when traveling, there's no need for me to take that risk. For that reason, I have used "friendly" land borders for the most part.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

This is exactly what visitors have been doing by trying to take maximum advantage of the soft side of the law.

In most of the civilized countries stay of more then 90 days must be declared in advance and there are no border runs.

Must obtain a long stay visa in TH.

How many people move over to  retire in Switzerland or Norway etc etc? ???? 

Comparing countries where people retire to vs countries people moves to to work in is ridiculous.

And by the way you don't need a visa/ passport to enter Europe , millions of people from the middleEast entering europe every year.

And there are many options to live long term in Western/northern Europe, only getting a job/study will solve that.

It's not the first time a TVFM makes that comment, some of you thinks that only Thailand are for the married ones or the retired ones, one day they will go hard after you guys also unfortunately..

The abuse of tourist visa and Ed visa could be endedd with introduce similar visa as the retirement visa for those under 50, when you show you got money etc. as of now you will have to pay a big amount of money to be able to stay in Thailand for the elitevisa.

Edited by Totoandlilly