Now UK coming out of EU with no deal. what is going to happen to sterling??

Hi and  the multi million question.
What is going to happen to Sterling after the UK it seems crashing out of the EU without a deal and most of us have not got a pot of gold.
IMHO I think against the very strong Baht it will weaken further, but who knows and no expert and us ex pats are really struggling and yes indeed the Thais are feeling the pinch as well, well everyone is to be frank.
Even the so called measures by the Treasury of Thailand the other week has it seems no effect whatsoever.
Worrying times for those on frozen state pensions and the very poor exchange rates.
What are your views?

Just now, petermik said:

I asked this same question to a fortune teller in soi Bukhaow (Pattaya) market the other day and she said (pigeon english of course) initially it will sink to 35 baht but late december will bounce to 40 and continue rising during the course of next year to a high of 54.......with this news I happily gave her a 20 baht tip :clap2:

If she told me that, she would have been rewarded with a 100 Baht note... ????

• Like 2

No one can really predict. But likely the market has already priced much of this in. As such, initially there will be a drop but not massive and then a bounce back. How long that will take to bounce back, no one knows. But probably reasonably quickly.

The pound has been between 1.20 and 1.25 USD. Expect that range to narrow but doubt it will go below 1.20; it it does, not for too much time. 

No one knows but I guesstimate is no deal will mean 1.20-1.22 when things settle. After that who knows!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think it will happen.

There'll be another extension/delay.

Well, the longer the delays, the worse it will be. More time sitting on the fence = more uncertainty, and we should all know that markets don't like uncertainty. 

Deal or no deal, they just need to get on with it now and make a decision.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, petermik said:

Any remainers unhappy about LOSING the vote can move to one of the countries still in the EU after we leave.....enjoy :thumbsup:

iT was just announced that there is going to be an extension to summer next year to allow time for a referendum when those remainers who were not allowed to vote in the last referendum (as the government did not give us voting papers), will be able to vote. Hopefully the Russians will stop brainwashing leavers through social media and the leave campaign will stop using Cambridge Analytica to illegally sway the vote by targeting voters with fake news. 73% did not vote to leave. The law on referendums requires at 55% majority which was not acheived by leave in the last referendum.

57101686_2410267482340314_3374896322359328768_n.jpg

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, petermik said:

Any remainers unhappy about LOSING the vote can move to one of the countries still in the EU after we leave.....enjoy :thumbsup:

I don't think that will be possible after hard brexit.  

Also British tourists to Europe might need visas, International DLs, health insurance etc.  Just like in the "good old days" ????

• Like 1

The UK Government has a useful Brexit site where you can subscribe for their daily business updates on implications and preparations.

One article from November 2018 is an assessment of the economic impacts - they provide several scenarios, none of them show a positive impact.

It is inevitable that the pound will fall further.  My guess is 30 THB to the Pound from exit for next 5+ years then a very slow recovery.

No deal means additional costs of £billions on any businesses that trade with Europe, which is the UK's biggest trading partner.  This is not scare-mongering, it is an inevitable result of the additional taxation processes, and the estimated costs of these extra burdens are detailed in the UK Gov risk assessment reports. 

I do believe that in the longer term the UK will be better out of the EU, and that the remains of EU post-Brexit will eventually fold due to its inability to be globally competitive, but none of us TV posters will still be around to see the benefits.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

There’s quite a bit of confidence from the Leavers on here that you’ll get a short period where GBP drops before bouncing back. After the referendum essentially nothing changed, the UK was still in the EU ... sentiment was enough to send GBP crashing, and there has been little recovery. After a no deal this sheet gets real, you are out of the EU, with major economic disruptions and a different trading situation. Different and worse. You’ll all soon understand what no deal actually entails. It won’t be pretty.

Some economists have the opinion that the current weak Pound is due the markets factoring in the effects of Brexit and no further fall will happen, due to all the falls have  already happened .

The only way is up for the Pound ...........................not that it bothers UK residents hardly at all  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

At the coming general election, Conservatives will NOT have a majority and the balance of power will likely be held by the LibDems. This will result in, at least, a new referendum in which a huge majority will vote to Remain OR outright revocation of article 50. Either way we Remain and the pound will make a huge sigh of relief and recover a lot of lost ground. Maybe the fortune teller is switched on to UK politics.

agreed