Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

14 minutes ago, zenobit said:

"…The new rules will be applied to those who enter the country for the first time AND THOSE WHO WISH TO EXTEND THEIR VISAS…" Sathit said.
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/10/10/health-insurance-will-be-mandatory-for-retiree-visa-holders/

Interesting ... I had understood it so far that the new rules will ONLY be applied to those who enter the country for the first time. I guess I was wrong. ????

I think, at present, the police order only pertains to those applying for a new Non-O Visa, not an extension.  In other words, if you already got your Non-O before this regulation became effective, you will be able to apply for the extension (for retirement) without having to deal with this requirement. 

However, I'm sure it won't be long before extensions are added as well, and if that happens before you can apply for your extension, you'll be out of luck.

Maybe I misunderstand the intent of your last paragraph but entering country for 1st time has nothing to do with it.  It only has to do with applying for the Non-O Visa. 

Many come into the country for the first time on a tourist visa for up to 6 months (9 months with extensions) and would not be affected.  It only happens if they want to convert from Tourist Visa to Non-O (i.e.: for purposes of applying for a retirement extension, for instance)

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Exactly, put a 500 BHT tax on the entry tax all bases covered, end of story.

What gets me is they said this was put on hold a few weeks ago now it is back.

My friend went to get a NO oa visa in NZ yesterday and had to have a copy of his wife's passport, even though he has the The marriage certificate, owns a house in which they live.

She has never traveled as she is a school teacher , she has never had a  passport.

The consulate said it only going to get worse for expats and the think it is ridiculous.

I enter Thailand ten or eleven times a year. You are suggesting I pay out at least 5000 baht so you can have health cover?

I am not sure there is much advantage in being treated in a Government hospital over a private one pricewise, I have been quoted the same price so the issue then is where the bed is. Would you like to be in a communal ward with the next patient's family using you and your bed as a bench? Or, a private room, the Government hospital private room would be cheaper but offer you less, if the GVT are going to charge inflated rates you might as well look at a private hospital.

As far as the charges for Insurance are concerned I think its a small percentage of people causing a problem and this looks like a "help your local insurance agent/company."

Tourists should have to show valid Insurance on arrival. Long stay expats should be able to show valid insurance or funds in the bank to cover emergencies when re-newing their extension of stay.

I am not sure why the GVT keep finding ways to make life more difficult expats, we all have ideas though I guess.

On reading many posts here, one can wonder what kind of society is the world comming to, where many western countries allow their insurance corporations to refuse  insurance coverage or charge unrealistic premiums to their elderly ? This should be the real question to be asked.

Why are you lying about the UK medical costs on visa application? It is only £200 a year paying 5 years in advance. If you were to leave or change your visa the remittance is returned. I totally agree with this and it is not subject to age or health condition its one for all. I have just paid it so I should know. Why make that statement? Plus you show your income requirement as an annual amount once, you do not have to report to a police station every 90 days like a criminal on patrol, you do not have 6 police cars turn up to check on you, you do not have to apply every year showing all your personal documents, stupid photos of you sitting on your bed with your spouse and children, personal details and you do not have to report every time you go on holiday or visit friends over night. Please do not try and justify how expats are treated in Thailand compared to how Thai expats are treated in the UK who actually have the same rights as a Brit including buying a house having same banking like getting a loan mortgage etc.... OMG. EXPATS in Thailand put up with a lot for the life they want in Thailand and that is also a fact. What happens is it slowly wares a lot of people down till they just up and leave. This could well be the final push for many and a deterrent for those thinking about retirement in Thailand. I know we would never have considered moving to Thailand if that had been a requirement. 

Are you quoting the right guy? I didn’t say anything about the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

"...It has nothing to do with Non-Imm O visas at all..."

I know that Non-Imm O at time is not affected. But I thought that it will be applied only to NEW O-A applicants; not to those who wish to extend their O-A visa.

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think, at present, the police order only pertains to those applying for a new Non-O Visa, not an extension.  In other words, if you already got your Non-O before this regulation became effective, you will be able to apply for the extension (for retirement) without having to deal with this requirement. 

However, I'm sure it won't be long before extensions are added as well, and if that happens before you can apply for your extension, you'll be out of luck.

Maybe I misunderstand the intent of your last paragraph but entering country for 1st time has nothing to do with it.  It only has to do with applying for the Non-O Visa. 

Many come into the country for the first time on a tourist visa for up to 6 months (9 months with extensions) and would not be affected.  It only happens if they want to convert from Tourist Visa to Non-O (i.e.: for purposes of applying for a retirement extension, for instance)

This is NOT for the Non-Imm "O" visa. It is only for the "O-A" new applications and the renewals of this visa only. Stop spreading misinformation and causing confusion and false stress and worry on people

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is for all new O-A applications plus all renewals for A-O visa. It has nothing to do with Non-Imm O visas at all. Check the current police order which was shown in the thread about this yesterday when it was released.

If you have been in Thailand long enough you will know that in a few weeks sometimes days that can and most likely will change. How can you live like that.?. I couldn't. Have you forgotten this time last year already? Embassies refusing to verify income and the course of events from its only 800,000baht in your account 3 months before and 3 months after to You have to leave 400,000baht in your bank never using it. It was almost like waking every day to worry what next. It was October we decided to leave Thailand and not a decision we made lightly as we have a house we built in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, zenobit said:

I know that Non-Imm O at time is not affected. But I thought that it will be applied only to NEW O-A applicants; not to those who wish to extend their O-A visa.

Yes, that's my understanding, but extensions will be affected in the near future as well.  It's only a matter of time, and Thai officials are very efficient at making those kind of changes happen very quickly.  

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

This is NOT for the Non-Imm "O" visa. It is only for the "O-A" new applications and the renewals of this visa only. Stop spreading misinformation and causing confusion and false stress and worry on people

Sorry, I got mixed up with terminology.  You are correct. Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A" is what I meant. 

But, just to be clear, the insurance regulation only affects the Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A" visa at present, not the extension.  Correct?

In other words, if you already had the Non O-A before the insurance rule went into effect, you can still apply for an extension (for retirement, for instance) without the rule affecting you, at least at the present time.

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I agree, and hope Britain (and other countries) will start charging Thai citizens visiting for their hospital visits.

EU countries charge back to UK for all treatments of UK citizens. That is why you should have The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).  UK also do the same but usually not very good at it. All non-EU visitors must pay for their treatments. They do not get free treatments as a rule but again UK is not very good at this but the rest of EU countries are better at this.

3 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

If you have been in Thailand long enough you will know that in a few weeks sometimes days that can and most likely will change. How can you live like that.?. I couldn't. Have you forgotten this time last year already? Embassies refusing to verify income and the course of events from its only 800,000baht in your account 3 months before and 3 months after to You have to leave 400,000baht in your bank never using it. It was almost like waking every day to worry what next. It was October we decided to leave Thailand and not a decision we made lightly as we have a house we built in Thailand. 

I have a lived and still live in Thailand and it is all the false information and scare mongering that is being bandied around by people making false claims about what is going to happen in the future when they know nothing about it, they are just scare mongers. If you do not want to live here then that is your choice but don't spread false rumours about what is going to happen in the future because you do not know. No one does.

10 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have not seen the numbers.. BUT if they are low, why would the Gov. get so involved and mandate med ins. Doesn't make sense to me...

Same reason that they've suddenly cracked down on TM30 requirement - commission!

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yes, that's my understanding, but extensions will be affected in the near future as well.  It's only a matter of time, and Thai officials are very efficient at making those kind of changes happen very quickly.  

Sorry, but I am only interested in the current state of things.

16 minutes ago, CLS said:

Are you quoting the right guy? I didn’t say anything about the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh mmmmm if your questioning me then probably not so very sorry. It was a reply to the guy who quoted UK demanding £2000 for NHS cover charge on visa application which is wrong. So my apologies but in my defence I'm old, disabled and would not qualify for health insurance in Thailand now and even 10 years ago it was so expensive I bought a vehicle instead...... 

When emigrating to a foreign country one should recognise that goalposts can change overnight,although in many cases[including myself]people assume that the status quo will continue for ever.

In Thailand the imposition of a mandatory health insurance is not the worst case scenario that people are making it out to be on TV.

However when one is 60 years old,relatively fit,the the prospect of ageing and related health disorders seldom registers on one's brain.These issues are swept under the carpet until one observes Health Insurance premiums rocketing,and in over 75's often denied.

A mandatory health insurance is a real wake up call to retirees,and like myself has added fuel to the realisation that sinking one's capital into a third world country was,in retrospect,a regrettable folly.

9 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

It’s pretty clear to me that someone in government has a stake in the health insurance industry and is simply drumming up business for it. I am 100% sure the majority of the unpaid bills by expats are those of tourists wheeled into emergency unconscious or need of immediate medical attention which then default on payment due to no physical funds or holiday travel insurance. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out for retirees. I’m pretty sure some genius is going to come up with a plan to issue false health insurance to satisfy the requirement. Are they going to set the amount you need to be insured for? Too many questions unanswered.

I remember a while back on here when the report named the committee originally set up to look into the possibly of this, several of the members were from the insurance industry. It was a foregone conclusion that it was going to be implemented. 

17 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have a lived and still live in Thailand and it is all the false information and scare mongering that is being bandied around by people making false claims about what is going to happen in the future when they know nothing about it, they are just scare mongers. If you do not want to live here then that is your choice but don't spread false rumours about what is going to happen in the future because you do not know. No one does.

With all due respect, I think it's clear that if the intent of this new regulation is to reduce the State's burden of those "at risk" who can not or will not pay their medical bills, then it stands to reason that Retirement Extensions will soon require the same insurance requirement.

So it is not scaremongering to assume this will happen in the near future.  Sure, nothing for certain until it happens, but it's not unfair to assume it will indeed happen.

Acknowledging this NOW before it happens allows people to explore options and take measures (i.e.: possibility of increased money in bank to cover the in-patient requirement) so they are not blindsided by it when it does happen.  That's called being prepared, not scaremongering.

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

With all due respect, I think it's clear that if the intent of this new regulation is to reduce the State's burden of those "at risk" who can not or will not pay their medical bills, then it stands to reason that Retirement Extensions will soon require the same insurance requirement.

So it is not scaremongering to assume this will happen in the near future.  Sure, nothing for certain until it happens, but it's not unfair to assume it will indeed happen.

But those people have cash in a thai bank account.  Those on non OA don't. 

7 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

And that's the point; uncertainty is no way to live your life especially when your getting older. I couldn't take it any more and we left. This was being talked about last October and that's what scared me. The fact that in Thailand things can and do change in days with no regard. In UK you apply for your visa and when you get it that's that and any changes do not effect you. If you wish to change your visa then the rules apply on that date apply forever. When changes happen it is discussed debated signed off and a date set in the future minimum 12 months normally and not 20 days or next week. Your finances may change in the UK year on year but you never live in fear that you may not qualify next year to renew your visa. 

9 hours ago, happyaussie said:

I suspect a large percentage of the "burden" is caused by fit young farangs falling off motor bikes or getting beaten senseless after an altercation in a bar. I think these numbers would far outweigh the occasional old fella who's ticker played up.

With this said, I agree that medical insurance should be mandatory for all. 

It's getting boring the farang who come on here claiming medical insurance should be mandatory for all. If you have the means and are fit and healthy, why should it be compulsory to waste massive amounts of money every year? I've used a hospital once in the twelve years I've been here for a small out-patient operation. for which I paid 7,000 baht in advance. At my age if I'd been medically insured for that time, I'd have paid around one and a half million baht in premiums, for 7,000 baht worth of treatment. If you think medical insurance is the thing for you, then fill your boots, but please don't wish it on everyone. I do have a small personal accident policy, by the way.

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

It's getting boring the farang who come on here claiming medical insurance should be mandatory for all. If you have the means and are fit and healthy, why should it be compulsory to waste massive amounts of money every year? I've used a hospital once in the twelve years I've been here for a small out-patient operation. for which I paid 7,000 baht in advance. At my age if I'd been medically insured for that time, I'd have paid around one and a half million baht in premiums, for 7,000 baht worth of treatment. If you think medical insurance is the thing for you, then fill your boots, but please don't wish it on everyone.

Agree!  Being able to prove you can cover your cost of care and not be a burden on the State is what matters, not being forced to buy insurance from a Thai-based insurance company.  Something very fishy about this IMO.

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Acknowledging this NOW before it happens allows people to explore options and take measures (i.e.: possibility of increased money in bank to cover the in-patient requirement) so they are not blindsided by it when it does happen.  That's called being prepared, not scaremongering.

You do not know what is going to happen, you are only speculating and you could be very wrong with your speculation but you could cause a lot of unnecessary stress on people by your unfounded speculation. It is not being prepared when you spread you unfounded speculations around, it is called scare mongering and it is not needed

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Cutting through all the rubbish posts on here it should be mandatory for all expats living

in the country.

In Sweden any visa issued for 2 months or more need to have a health  insurance policy

before it is approved.

There was talk of a policy underwritten by a health insurance company (that has since been sold ) that was 47,000 Bht a year or thereabouts which qualified for long stay visas.

Visitors to NZ now (even short stay) have to sign a declaration that in the event of sickness 

they will be responsible for their own care.

The screaming & yelling about having to have 800,000 Bht in the bank & guys who get agents to fuzz it should not really be living here.

You just started a rubbish post with "cutting through all the rubbish posts...". 

Archived