Thailand to demand proof of health insurance for 'risky' long-term visitors

webfact

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Open question. What is that 400k (or 800k) supposed to be for?

IMO, it was always there to pay for your emergency here abroad to be able to cover yourself (i.e. hospital bill), book a ticket back home and you are out. Gov protected, no troublemakers.

If you now can't even touch it, because the rules changes to keep the money in the account for 6 month shifts ... for what is it?

You can still withdraw 400k from the 800k, and all 400k if you are married. 

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Max69xl said:

You can still withdraw 400k from the 800k, and all 400k if you are married. 

... it's all too complicated, if this than that ... what is the money on the account for if you can't touch it for hospital emergency? 

And keep Thai gov out of costs, as they were suggesting was the problem.

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Open question. What is that 400k (or 800k) supposed to be for?

IMO, it was always there to pay for your emergency here abroad to be able to cover yourself (i.e. hospital bill), book a ticket back home and you are out. Gov protected, no troublemakers.

If you now can't even touch it, because the rules changes to keep the money in the account for 6 month shifts ... for what is it?

You can take the 400k out after your marriage extension approval but with your retirement extension the 800k must be in the Thai bank for a minimum of 5 months and then you can only remove 400k and the remaining 400k must stay in the bank for the remaining 7 months of the year when you are required to top it back up to 800k. This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

That's right but ALL money must be in a Thai bank account whereas before the money on the income method could be in a bank account in your home country and not in a Thai bank account and that is what the income letters were for.

If using the >65k monthly method, it's only retirees from the UK,US and Australia who needs to transfer that sum to a Thai bank, not the rest of the world. They can still keep the money in a bank in their home country. Get it? 

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

You can take the 400k out after your marriage extension approval but with your retirement extension the 800k must be in the Thai bank for a minimum of 5 months and then you can only remove 400k and the remaining 400k must stay in the bank for the remaining 7 months of the year when you are required to top it back up to 800k. This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application

Well, they never ask you to show that you haven't dropped below 400k. How would they know? I think immigration have missed it.

24 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Spot on summary. I do believe the army is an extremely paranoid and fearful organization, run by very small men with no vision. They are scared of us and the potential education and worldly wisdom we may "contaminate" their women with. Knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

I'm impressed.. This must be the shortest 007 reply I have ever seen. Very few of which make sense.

Watch Kingsman...a far better fantasy.

15 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You are just another paranoid whiner. If you are actually living in Thailand full time, why don't you leave? 

Really? Is that all you got? Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Well, they never ask you to show that you haven't dropped below 400k. How would they know? I think immigration have missed it.

With the letter from the bank that is required for all seasoned money and that does not matter what country you are from

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Exactly, money not for emergency  ... like you said, the ONLY reason what it is for: 

"This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application"

What about the money 'above the minimum' and time lines ... that's at free play for gov & banks?

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Really? Is that all you got? Quite lame. Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". 

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

Ignore him.It's long been accepted on this forum that anyone who advises another member to leave the country (or any other "if you don't like it, leave it type drivel") , automatically loses the argument.

9 minutes ago, RedPill said:

... it's all too complicated, if this than that ... what is the money on the account for if you can't touch it for hospital emergency? 

And keep Thai gov out of costs, as they were suggesting was the problem.

How hard is it to take money out of a bank? Put the card in the ATM?

4 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Exactly, money not for emergency  ... like you said, the ONLY reason what it is for: 

"This money in the bank is not for any emergency because if you drop below the minimum amount you will not qualify for your next extension application"

What about the money 'above the minimum' and time lines ... that's at free play for gov & banks?

Sorry but all the money in the accounts is for the government and the banks to play with and that is the reason that I believe this insurance s**t is about. To get everyone to change to a Non-Imm "O" visa so that they have to have the money in a Thai bank

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

How hard is it to take money out of a bank? Put the card in the ATM?

The money in the bank for the immi requirement is there for me to stay and to always comply to immi requirements. I never touch it, or why put it on an ATM card? 

What I was saying is ... the long term stay Farang has the money in the account to cover his hospital bill ... the Thai gov got this promise already.

No need to push another health insurance requirement mandatory for these guys.

Maybe you get my drift a little.

One aspect of the new regulations may affect those with existing health insurance policies.This coverage may well be more extensive both in terms of the amount covered and the number of countries in which the policy is covered.In other words a far better insurance than being offered by the compulsory companies being touted by the government.

These policies seem to cover Thailand only,so individuals may have to double up on policies if they are moving between countries.

The offered policies are totally inadequate in terms of International and indeed Thailand health coverage,and this should be obvious both to the companies concerned and to any subscriber to these policies.

It is asking a lot,but the whole issue should be reconsidered,unless,as others have suggested,this is just a flagrant attempt at profiteering at the expense of people who are left with no choice.

8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry but all the money in the accounts is for the government and the banks to play with and that is the reason that I believe this insurance s**t is about. To get everyone to change to a Non-Imm "O" visa so that they have to have the money in a Thai bank

What are you saying, the new rule for O-A is to drive and change people into a Non-Imm "O"?

Ok, good, that's what you think and a thought I did not had before on that specific level. It explains your point of view better to understand.

For me, I'm more sceptic, they aim to get all the "O", step by step. Not saying I'm right, just what I expect.

37 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

They changed the marriage extension requirement with the money having to be in a Thai bank, before that if you used the income method your money could be in a bank in your home country. They made it that all money for both the retirement extension and the marriage extension all the money had to be in a Thai bank whether you used the seasoned money or you used the income method. Many people opted for the "O-A" visa so that they did not have to put their money into a Thai bank account so therefore Thailand did not have control over that money.

I get better interest in my Thai bank than back home.

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

The money in the bank for the immi requirement is there for me to stay and to always comply to immi requirements. I never touch it, or why put it on an ATM card? 

What I was saying is ... the long term stay Farang has the money in the account to cover his hospital bill ... the Thai gov got this promise already.

No need to push another health insurance requirement mandatory for these guys.

Maybe you get my drift a little.

The thing is that with the O-A visa you do not have the money in a Thai bank account. You only need to show that you have the money in an account in your home country where you make your application for the O-A visa. Remember that this insurance is only for the O-A visa applications

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The thing is that with the O-A visa you do not have the money in a Thai bank account. You only need to show that you have the money in an account in your home country where you make your application for the O-A visa. Remember that this insurance is only for the O-A visa applications

Yes, that's a good point. And where it stands as of today. 

Good, I put away my 'same principle applies in 6 month for everyone, plus extensions" mindset, but I stay corrected ????

Purely about the type of visa:

O-A, isn't that the visa you get abroad for long stay purpose here? In this case 50 years age and above, and then convert this into either a marriage extension or retirement extension, after a min. of 3 month of your arrival? If you want to stay long term.

I was always of the opinion that this type of O-A visa, which you got abroad, get's converted into an extension as soon as possible, once settled here.

Including the subsequently required 400/800k with the extension.

Or what are other reasons to get a O-A?

I don't really exactly know, didn't research this type of visa in depth, but they all point into the same direction ... to the extension for long stay purpose ... and then ... why not continue the story of the mandatory health insurance to the next obvious point?

Shouldn't a pre-requirement O-A at least be the min basic requirement here, once this converted O-A into marriage or retirement extension?

16 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Yes, that's a good point. And where it stands as of today. 

Good, I put away my 'same principle applies in 6 month for everyone, plus extensions" mindset, but I stay corrected ????

Purely about the type of visa:

O-A, isn't that the visa you get abroad for long stay purpose here? In this case 50 years age and above, and then convert this into either a marriage extension or retirement extension, after a min. of 3 month of your arrival? If you want to stay long term.

I was always of the opinion that this type of O-A visa, which you got abroad, get's converted into an extension as soon as possible, once settled here.

Including the subsequently required 400/800k with the extension.

Or what are other reasons to get a O-A?

I don't really exactly know, didn't research this type of visa in depth, but they all point into the same direction ... to the extension for long stay purpose ... and then ... why not continue the story of the mandatory health insurance to the next obvious point?

Shouldn't a pre-requirement O-A at least be the min basic requirement here, once this converted O-A into marriage or retirement extension?

The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time.

It's the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa that you extend 1 year after 60 days. Then extend it 1 year at the time. 

10 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time.

It's the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa that you extend 1 year after 60 days. Then extend it 1 year at the time. 

Ok good, don't say 'period' please. Just discuss it. I'm about to learn something or get something straight. Thanks for helping me out.

"The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time."

Ok, extend to what? For just another O-A for another year of stay? Or can you also extend this into a marriage or retirement extension?

Other than the required age of 50 in the O-A, what's the choice people make to get an Immi-O or Immi-OA before they come here?

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the special thing about the O-A?

19 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok good, don't say 'period' please. Just discuss it. I'm about to learn something or get something straight. Thanks for helping me out.

"The O-A visa is a long stay visa = 1 year. You can only apply for it in your home country. Period. Then you can extend it in Thailand 1 year at the time."

Ok, extend to what? For just another O-A for another year of stay? Or can you also extend this into a marriage or retirement extension?

Other than the required age of 50 in the O-A, what's the choice people make to get an Immi-O or Immi-OA before they come here?

You normally extend an O-A visa another year,and same with the O visa extension based on retirement or marriage. When in Thailand the O-A and O with 1 year extension based on retirement are the same. When having the O-A from back home, you have 1 year from day one. When arriving with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa, you can extend it after 60 days. That's how you start the 1 year extension.

The financial requirements differ a bit. 

10 minutes ago, RedPill said:

You can only extend the O-A visa once for a length of 1 year and then you must either leave Thailand and return to your home country and apply for a new visa or you do a border crossing and get a 90 day "O" visa which is then extended with either the marriage or retirement extensions, but remember that if you convert to the "o" visa with the extensions then you must have the financials in a Thai bank, if you return to your home country then you have the financials in your home country. The special thing is that you do not have your money in a Thai bank account. Some people do not feel comfortable having their money in a Thai bank account so they opt for the "O-A" visa so now Thailand want that money here so they want you to either take out a Thai insurance policy or change your visa.

20 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You normally extend an O-A visa another year,and same with the O visa extension based on retirement or marriage. When in Thailand the O-A and O with 1 year extension based on retirement are the same. When having the O-A from back home, you have 1 year from day one. When arriving with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O visa, you can extend it after 60 days. That's how you start the 1 year extension.

The financial requirements differ a bit. 

Yes, you extend a O-A with another year, same as a O visa.

The O-A after 1 years minimum. The O you can extend after 3 month already. Both have this ability. 

That's only about the timing, but you can put in the 'extension' for both.

My point was ... if a pre-requirement for a 'possible longer term O-A type extension', into marriage or retirement exists ... why not then apply the same minimum health insurance rules the the extensions as well?

And that's where my suspicion and thinking comes from. 

If you could 'not' extend an O-A to an O marriage/retirement extension ... then it's ok, the chain is broken!

But it's not .. you can extend an O-A to O extension ... so why not apply the same minimum health rules later to O as well?

That's my point, if you understand or makes sense, I don't know. That's my logical thinking forward and expect Thai immi go to ... wouldn't surprise me.

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. There are always choices. For example should you wish to purchase a 12 month Non Immigrant class OA visa then there are conditions attached one of which may be insurance. Whether you decide to purchase said Non OA visa is a matter of personal choice.

That is a great response. You are right, one always has choices. For example if you do not like what the govt is doing you could just off yourself (that is me demonstrating how ridiculous your statements is btw). 

Or wait here is another one that is less dark. No matter how bad govt legislation is, it does not matter right? You always have choices, like moving to Russia. 

Your argument is unsound. 

Archived