Thailand takes unusual steps to improve sex education

webfact

A DJ saved my life

Thailand takes unusual steps to improve sex education

It wants to bring down one of the highest teen-pregnancy rates in South-East Asia

Only in desperate times do governments enlist the help of teenage disc jockeys. Thailand’s ministry of social development must be in a panic: it has hired more than 500 of them. Its desperation stems from the teenage-pregnancy rate, which has risen even as the overall birth rate has dropped. Thailand has one of the highest teenage-pregnancy rates in South-East Asia (see chart). Hence the djs, who will promote safe sex on the radio.

That is not the government’s only initiative to stop teenagers becoming mums. It is also sending health-ministry officials to lecture students about “young love”. It has added sex-education questions to standardised exams. And in 2016 it passed the Prevention and Solution of the Adolescent Pregnancy Problem Act, which gives all adolescents the right to free contraception. The goal is to slash the number of children born to teenagers by a third by 2026.

Supichaya Singhakasem, who had a baby at 18, says she received sex education at school in Bangkok, but it was unenlightening. (She attracted a large online following, of both fans and detractors, after posting photos of herself in school uniform holding her baby.) Her experience is typical: teachers tend to focus on anatomy and deliver clinical lectures rather than practical advice, says Beena Kuttiparambil, who works for the United Nations Children’s Fund (unicef) in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.economist.com/asia/2019/10/12/thailand-takes-unusual-steps-to-improve-sex-education

-- The Economist 2019-10-11

43 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Thais are already experts in sex.  They have brought their knowledge and expertise and set up classes in Australia for those that want to learn more.

Thats great to know, this is about how to have SAFE sex and for young girls to say no, " No condom no sex."

• Thanks 1

It's about time. Most refrigerators, Motorbikes and other assets ever conveyed to the deepest of Isaan over the last decades were earned by "Sex-Workers".
About time the "sex-workers" get educated about the risks of the trade. Better late than never.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, jastheace said:

we all like to preach about the use of condoms. but practise what we preach ? ahem.....

Yes its common sense etc blah blah but honestly, I would not wear one any more than I would a raincoat in the shower !!

I would just hope and rely on my judgement  of choice of partner and that's been ok and worked for me for over 40 yrs !! incident and infection free.

• Like 1

Until it is possible with the consent of parents that 12 to 13 year old children live together as married couples, nothing will change.
With the parents' consent, they can decide their future for themselves, no longer go to school, go out at night and do whatever they want!
Unfortunately this is the daily reality in this country!

I've read all the posts above and haven't seen any mention of the girls taking birth control upon themselves...... Not only condoms but tablets that are available very cheap at the local pharmacy..... The Thai 'sex-ed' apparently don't teach that (and SHOULD)....... The pharmacies sell birth control tablets over the counter and even sell the 'Morning-after Pills'..... That is what many 'sex-workers' use (I know many)..... Sex Ed needs to improve to lower this 'teen-mothers' problem......

• Like 1

I never understood, why schools are not teaching girls on the pill. The government could avail the pill free of charge (OK, the budget for the three submarines would have to get cancelled and the USD 400 million for the eight helicopters would have to be used as well). 

It is a society issue, parents screen for grandchildren once their kids turn 15+, the boy next door "fertilizes" all over the village and once the impregnation is successful, he disappears into thin air to continue his pollination crusade. 

Sex has nothing to do with love, hence teach the girls (and boys) on contraceptives, the girls specifically on the pill and the boys on the rubber. 

Not the final solution, I know, but certainly a first step in the right direction, don't you think so? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nickstav said:

Sex education is fine and whatever gets the message out can help, but there is a larger issue related to this and it should become a legal issue. I was looking at my young Thai niece's Facebook page (she's 12 and lives in a very rural area). I was shocked to see numerous pics of her friends, all about the same age as she is, with obviously older Thai guys. These guys all seem to be in their late teens or maybe older. I can imagine that it's not too hard for these guys to prey on girls 13, 14 with the I love you line, get them to have unprotected sex leading to pregnancy, and then whoosh...disappear without assuming any responsibility. Maybe the fear of being held accountable for your actions might help a little bit (being realistic just a wee bit) and some of them might actually put a condom on.

Great point, but I feel there might be one more issue which needs to be addressed. Although condoms aren't expensive here, most of these kids don't have regular income or receive very little pocket money. A lad who takes a girl out needs to pay for dinner, fuel for the bike, maybe a beer or two - possibly fags - simply can't afford (doesn't want to pay?) B100 for a packet of rubbers. If these were to be supplied to teenagers free of charge, then I'm certain we would see a drop in unplanned teenage pregnancies. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thais are already experts in sex.  They have brought their knowledge and expertise and set up classes in Australia for those that want to learn more.

Not only Oz, but world wide. 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Great point, but I feel there might be one more issue which needs to be addressed. Although condoms aren't expensive here, most of these kids don't have regular income or receive very little pocket money. A lad who takes a girl out needs to pay for dinner, fuel for the bike, maybe a beer or two - possibly fags - simply can't afford (doesn't want to pay?) B100 for a packet of rubbers. If these were to be supplied to teenagers free of charge, then I'm certain we would see a drop in unplanned teenage pregnancies. 

Come on now, useless farang nonsense, remember everything is different in Thailand ????

Sex education at my Catholic schools in USA, grades 1-8 run by nuns and grades 9-12 run by brothers, amounted to: "Thinking about it is as sinful as doing it; you will burn in hell". Thailand helped me make up for lost time.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

There are condoms on sale at every 7/11. Education has to include information on their purpose, and how to use them with the male member.

I suspect the high teen pregnancy rate is because educators are too prudish to get to the nitty-gritty.

7/11 condoms about 70 baht out of a teens pocket you must be kidding, should be free. they are for bar girls so why not for teens ?

The Thai culture is it's own worst enemy. The males are privilege from birth and never held accountable. The females grow up hoping someone will take care of them for life. Pregnant at 13 and working the bars in Pattaya at 15 to support the baby the father ran out on.

On 10/11/2019 at 5:06 AM, Lacessit said:

There are condoms on sale at every 7/11. Education has to include information on their purpose, and how to use them with the male member.

I suspect the high teen pregnancy rate is because educators are too prudish to get to the nitty-gritty.

Don't blame the educators.. Blame the restriction given to them by the government as to what can be taught. I recall a few years ago they wanted to improve sex education. But were struck down and limited to what topics could be taught.