European tourists decline against strong baht, competition

webfact

2 minutes ago, ellathai said:

Arrived at Suvi airport last week, l doubt there was 200 people waiting in immigration.  Never seen it that empty 

It is still the low season. Arrivals until year end don't really bring many people these days not around here and not any more although that will differ by area. Four or five years ago it wsa different and places started to get busy in October but those days are long gone now.

The real problem for them will be January to March when the rest of the snowbirds come or not. Only time will tell on that. I suspect a lot will come. Restaurants will be packed with no seats left around 7 to 8:30 pm, they were last year for at least 8 to 10 weeks, then it dies for another 10 months.

I've read many things over the years about TAT wanting to attract 'high quality tourists'  - this is where they've gone wrong. They should attempt to get ALL tourists to come, there is plenty of room for everyone and there always has been.

Actions put in place years ago are now bearing fruit.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Plastic on the beaches, smoke in the mountains, rivers that look and smell like open sewers, and congested roads in Bamgkok. A corrupt police force, tourist scams where ever you go, drinking bans and aggresive taxi drivers.

Yes, I understand why a lot of peoole are giving Thailand a miss.

etc etc etc

• Like 2

After ten years living in Thailand and now coming out twice a year I am unable to navigate the e-visa application so I will come out for 30 days after the Brexit deadline. Mahbe the £ will improve. Let's face it, we are being roadblocked at every opportunity. The new Terminal 21 in Pattaya tells me we are being replaced by the new Thai middle classes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddie61 said:

There are things the tourist authorities could do to stimulate the individual tourism sector.

Relaxing the laws that prevent local craft brewers from offering their products for sale, as an example.

Globally, there is a trend to interesting and varied craft beers being offered in bars. In Thailand they are all highly taxed and expensive imports, due to the laws that effectively create a tasteless duopoly in a key sector of the tourism take.

I suspect that if you follow the money, you will figure out why!

Indeed. In Canada I can get a tasty craft brew for the same or less than the swill available at reasonable prices here. I can get a pint of Guinness for about half what it typically costs here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The number of European tourist arrivals in Thailand this year is expected to decline by 1.5 per cent year on year to around 6.66 million, according to the Kasikorn Research Centre.

Oddly specific number right there.

Edited by Travello01
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can only judge from what I see myself. I live in Thailand but travel back to the UK every 9 months for a hospital check up and see my rented out  property is ok. When I first did this, the planes were always full to the brim. Now, I regularly sit next to no-one, and recently on a BA flight had an entire row of seats on a 25% full plane only. And as a cheapskate I always pick the cheapest non-stop, I travel on a few carriers, so see it on all airlines. So, going by that I would presume travel to Thailand is down way more that some fairy land 1.5% figure, My own eyes see a 20-30% figure, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt

Yet when I flew back in July this year with BA, both trips were fully booked. Not a spare seat anywhere!!

Edited by worrab
Info

38 minutes ago, smudger1951 said:

The new Terminal 21 in Pattaya tells me we are being replaced by the new Thai middle classes. 

Nope

the terminal 21 is almost deserted from monday to friday

it's packed on saturday and sunday but mostly with families walkers

they comes to eat at the cheap and good food court and hanging around in the mall

i rarely see people carrying shop's pockets.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I can only judge from what I see myself. I live in Thailand but travel back to the UK every 9 months for a hospital check up and see my rented out  property is ok. When I first did this, the planes were always full to the brim. Now, I regularly sit next to no-one, and recently on a BA flight had an entire row of seats on a 25% full plane only. And as a cheapskate I always pick the cheapest non-stop, I travel on a few carriers, so see it on all airlines. So, going by that I would presume travel to Thailand is down way more that some fairy land 1.5% figure, My own eyes see a 20-30% figure, and that is giving them the benefit of the doubt

When I fly to/from the Netherlands I always fly KLM and those planes are full every time I fly. Even midweek.

• Like 1