2019 Income Requirements change

Hi all, I am in Bangkok and on a Non-Imm OA Retirement Visa that expires December 20th. In 2019 I understand that Thai Immigration made some changes to income requirements (link below). I also found out that the US Consulate has stopped providing letters of income verification which I have used in previous years to satisfy the income requirements and also with previous renewal/extension applications I included statements and letters from my USA banks showing my monthly income.  But now I think I will have to open a Thai bank account and transfer 800,000 baht into a Thai bank (which I will and can do). However I also learned that the 800,000 must be in the Thai bank for 3 months (some places say 2 months) prior to submitting your renewal application and since my Non-Imm OA Visa expires December 20 I will not have time to meet that 3 month requirement.  My question is are they real sticklers by the book about needing to have the money in Thai bank account for 3 months prior?  Since they have made a new rule change and US Consulate quit doing the income verification this year I hope they are understanding and lenient because I just found out about it.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-immigration-clamps-down-on-requirements-for-retirement-visas

What exactly expires Dec 20:

The O-A Visa?

The date you were stamped in till under the o-A visa?

Or an in-country permission of stay you obtained after originally entering n an O-A visa?

Makes a big difference to the answer

Hi Fishtank thanks.  2 months prior would be Oct 20 so will be cutting it close for me because I went to a Thai bank today and they want a certified true copy of my passport that I'll try to get done on this holiday weekend, plus I will need a few business days for my USA bank to transfer about $27,000 to my new Thai bank account.  Since this is a new change that's why I am asking if they are sticklers (buy the book) or does the Thai Immigration officer that does my renewal have any discretion to waive the 2 month requirement.

18 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

Sheryl, "Non-Imm OA Retirement Visa that expires December 

Bangkok only want 2 months so you dont have a problem.

Ok, you replied as I was typing, you may be cutting it fine with the bank account..... 

Edited by MikeN

8 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

Hi Fishtank thanks.  2 months prior would be Oct 20 so will be cutting it close for me because I went to a Thai bank today and they want a certified true copy of my passport that I'll try to get done on this holiday weekend, plus I will need a few business days for my USA bank to transfer about $27,000 to my new Thai bank account.  Since this is a new change that's why I am asking if they are sticklers (buy the book) or does the Thai Immigration officer that does my renewal have any discretion to waive the 2 month requirement.

They are most definitely sticklers on such things!

However there have been reports over the years of people being allowed to go on overstay in such situations. In other words if you need 60 days early and you've got 55 days early they might allow you to go on overstay for 5 days, subject to a fine for each day, and then you could get the extension. Don't take my word for this. You'll need to directly inquire yourself.

Be clear this doesn't mean that you should show up for the first time on overstay! Apply as normal with the deficit in money seasoning, and then request the overstay scheme. If I were you I would go in now and talk to an officer and ask them if this plan will be allowed. If not, you'll need to start over with a new O visa.

Edited by Jingthing

2 months is going to be cutting it really close because that's Oct 20 and today is Oct 11 plus to open a Thai bank account I have to get a certified true copy of my passport (on a holiday weekend) and then after the Thai account is open I still will have to do a transfer of around $27000 to the Thai bank account but that transaction takes several days to complete.

FYI in the past years I have used statements from my USA banks and an income verification letter from the USA Consulate that has always sufficed. So just learned of these new rule changes.

2 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

2 months is going to be cutting it really close because that's Oct 20 and today is Oct 11 plus to open a Thai bank account I have to get a certified true copy of my passport (on a holiday weekend) and then after the Thai account is open I still will have to do a transfer of around $27000 to the Thai bank account but that transaction takes several days to complete.

FYI in the past years I have used statements from my USA banks and an income verification letter from the USA Consulate that has always sufficed. So just learned of these new rule changes.

Your ignorance is no excuse. These new rules have been in effect all year already. Sorry. You have two choices. Ask if you'll be allowed to go on overstay which isn't very comfortable but you're the one that didn't bother to keep up on long published changes. Or if not, you'll need to start over.

Just now, JimmerJJ said:

I'm thinking that maybe this year I should use a Bangkok Immigration attorney and maybe they have more 'pull' with Thai Immigration to get it done.

If you're talking about participating in corruption (agents) then be advised you'll be in a legal grey area and you may find unpleasant consequences to that going forward. For example issues with address reports, being stuck using agents indefinitely, etc.

• Haha 1

Are you really on a Non Immigrant O-A, or are you on an "Extension of Stay"?  Also I'm guessing you've heard about the new regulations coming into effect on the 31st of October concerning O-A visas and needing health insurance...

1.  how ya gonna get a certified copy of your passport from the us embassy on a weekend?  you know that's not just a stamped copy from a lawyer/notary in bangkok, right?

2.  did you try one bank and was told certified passport needed?  try other banks, try other branches of the same bank, try another clerk at the same bank! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmerJJ said:

previous renewal/extension applications I included statements and letters from my USA banks showing my monthly income

29 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

plus to open a Thai bank account

Interesting, I thought the monthly income statements had to show money going into a Thai Bank for a Non-Imm visa extension.  You do say "from USA banks" ?

So you use an American Bank ATM for cash and an American Bank VISA card for all transactions?  

5 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Keep trying different banks and you should get one to open an account for you.

I have a friend who just opened an account a couple weeks ago at a Bangkok Bank with just a 30 day tourist Visa from the USA. 

WIll try and get the address from him if I see him tomorrow.  It was in Bangkok

If you're talking about participating in corruption (agents) then be advised you'll be in a legal grey area and you may find unpleasant consequences to that going forward. For example issues with address reports, being stuck using agents indefinitely, etc.   

Hey Jingthing, First off I check out the reputation of any attorneys I hire and do not use shady ones. Secondly  When I said an attorney having "pull" I think it is lost to you that many above board attorneys have some sway with Thai Immigration, you thinking otherwise is very naive, were you born yesterday?

1 hour ago, JimmerJJ said:

Thanks for the info Mike N and Jingthing.

JimmerJJ,

check your messages by clicking on envelope at top right of your screen...

I opened bank account at KBank & Krungsri without having to have certified copy...

Also, if you're worried about the O-A, you can get a Non O for 3 mths then get 1 year extension based on 800k in bank. No need to extend on the O-A especially if they may make you have insurance.

Edited by BertM

Hi Skallywag, Yes I have several banks all in USA and whenever I need money I use the ATM.  I can withdraw up to $600 a day so it is no problem living in Thailand (and a lot of travel) with that amount.  And I can get online Statements of Monthly Income from Social Security, Federal civil service retirement, military retirement, and also a retirement form a private company plus my investments.  Most of them provide an online income verification letter so in the past I printed out those letters and included with my visa renewal application plus added the income verification letter form US Consulate.  But now the US Consulate has stopped providing the income verification letter so I am in a bit of a crunch to quickly open a Thai bank account and transfer the required in a short period of time (within the next 10 days about).   In answer to your question (I thought the monthly income statements had to show money going into a Thai Bank for a Non-Imm visa extension.  You do say "from USA banks" ?)  I have only been using income letters from my USA retirements and statements from USA banks to prove my income plus the notarized Income verification letter from US Consulate.  But now I just found out the US Consulate has discontinued the Notarized Income Verification.  So I will have to use a Thai bank (I am very careful (leary) about where I put my money especially in foreign countries). But looks like I will have to ease up on that policy.

Thank you for your information Skallywag ????

Edited by JimmerJJ