Advises about moving to vietnam

waxpro

hey guys,

planning to move out from Thailand to vietnam soon,

the first step I asked about visa, the embassy told me that can obtain 1 month tourist visa,

would like to ask the followings:

1. how about visa extensions there?

2. how about to apply for biz visa? fees and process?

3. how about staying longer to do biz or landing a job in the biz management sector?

4. what about the options of someone skilled in IT, e-commerce, digital marketing?

5. how about cost of living there? people? visa and staying regulations, etc..

6. is it a good choice or just to look at vietnam as alternative from Thailand, or find somewhere else?

7. is there a forum of foreigner community there similar to this thaivisa?

would be highly appreciated if some answers from some guys who experienced this before or currently living there?

thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, waxpro said:

hey guys,

planning to move out from Thailand to vietnam soon,

the first step I asked about visa, the embassy told me that can obtain 1 month tourist visa,

would like to ask the followings:

1. how about visa extensions there?

2. how about to apply for biz visa? fees and process?

3. how about staying longer to do biz or landing a job in the biz management sector?

4. what about the options of someone skilled in IT, e-commerce, digital marketing?

5. how about cost of living there? people? visa and staying regulations, etc..

6. is it a good choice or just to look at vietnam as alternative from Thailand, or find somewhere else?

7. is there a forum of foreigner community there similar to this thaivisa?

would be highly appreciated if some answers from some guys who experienced this before or currently living there?

thanks in advance!

i think you mean you are Thinking about moving to Vietnam, you could not possibly be "planin with knowing the answer to the above questions. 

Tutsiwarrior's  suggestion of the Vietnam expat forum is an excellent idea to  have some of these questions answered and perhaps think of some others. Lurk there for a while , get some of these questions answered and see what people complain about.

When I was involved in the real estate industry in the US and people were thinking about purchasing a condominium, I always suggested that they request the minutes of the HOA meetings, that's where the dirty laundry is aired and one gets a good idea as to what it is going on. The forum can act on the same way.   

3. Long term visas (6 months and up) are getting almost impossible to get, such as the business visa in lieu of non-existent retirement visas. Immigration is weeding out the fake company business visas arranged by agents, according to fresh reports.  People are being turned back or heavily fined. Expensive Temporary Residence Cards are being rejected and seized. Vietnam is clamping down.

However, expat forum reports are saying authentic job offers with work permits are not a problem.  

Most people, especially teachers, are living on 3-month tourist visas, which means leaving the country every 3 months. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:48 PM, AussieBob18 said:

Phillipines

If you like an environment that approximates the poor sections of Tijuana, the PI is the place to go. For me, I consider it one of the ugliest nations in the region. The geography can be pretty. But, the cities are dog ugly. No landscaping, and alot of glass and wire topped walls in nearly every neighborhood. Nasty. And slums galore. Some seem to be ok with that. The best reason to be in the PI is the women. The reasons for being there end with that one. 

I tried living and working(as an ESL teacher) in Vietnam 3 separate times, and each time I left more angry than the time before. Being taken advantage of by my boss over salary, having things stolen from my residence, blatant nasty looks, and an overall sense of stress and being run ragged are all reasons why I'd never try living there again. The food was great, the coffee fantastic, and some beautiful landscapes but not foreigner friendly(in my view). If I was to leave Thailand for another southeast Asian country it'd be 1) Myanmar 2) Cambodia 3) Malaysia in that order from most desired to least.  I don't know enough to comment on the Phillipines. I know it's very poor in some areas and most everyone speaks English there, (which is a problem, since I need to work teaching English to make ends meet.) 

Contact 

Vietnam rush visa

+84 91 4217550

http://www.vietnam-evisa.net/
I got mine (EU passport) in about 30 minutes after initial contact, total cost about $500 usd. 1 year multiple entry business visa. They meet you as soon as you enter the arrivals hall with a VIP sign with your name on it. You give them your passport. They come back 15 minutes later with the visa in it. Done.

no need for 90 day reports or leaving every 90 days. 1 year means one year.

uoh love like a local from that point and have all rights including opening bank accounts at some but not all banks, as some require a work permit.

Repeat the process a year later upon re-entry or do for less money with same or similar agent for even less money.

Youll still need a work permit if you plan to work, but an employer can easily help you with that. Or if you open a business, you can sponsor yourself.

overall 1000% easier and cheaper than Thailand in every way.

overall very welcoming to foreigners and their money and investments, completely opposite to Thailand.

Thanks for sharing guys for the informative replies,

certainly, the personal direct experience on land is the final clear answer,

somewhoe, these preliminary ideas are helpful too,

What about ED visa similar to the Thai language course ED visa here? 

is there something similar there? and how easy or how much to pay for this? in case to be an option to stay long and learn the environment and situation?

from Hanoi airport, how to get to the city?

How about to rent a room for a month or 2 months?

As for the easiest jobs for foreigners there maybe for teachers:

what about computer courses: programming, digital marketing, web design, IT and math courses?

this teaching is the least alternative option, more likely to look at business and manegerial role positions, till find the way to establish own business, 

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If you like an environment that approximates the poor sections of Tijuana, the PI is the place to go. For me, I consider it one of the ugliest nations in the region. The geography can be pretty. But, the cities are dog ugly. No landscaping, and alot of glass and wire topped walls in nearly every neighborhood. Nasty. And slums galore. Some seem to be ok with that. The best reason to be in the PI is the women. The reasons for being there end with that one. 

Well that option is buggered then

"I always suggested that they request the minutes of the HOA meetings, that's where the dirty laundry is aired and one gets a good idea as to what it is going on. The forum can act on the same way".   

•  

Sounds like good advice... though methinks one would have to be from the USA to know what HOA...stands for. Believe it, or believe it not...many of us are not from that country? 

PS. Just figured it out..."Home Owners Association"...for those of us that may know it by a different name.

20 hours ago, waxpro said:

Thanks for more info,

what you advise to carry cash moeny? $US? or change the local currency from superrich? or just use Thai ATM there and withdraw as need?

No need to carry. Withdraw as you would from any atm machine or use credit cards as your normally would in a normal country.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:29 AM, waxpro said:

Thanks for sharing guys for the informative replies,

certainly, the personal direct experience on land is the final clear answer,

somewhoe, these preliminary ideas are helpful too,

What about ED visa similar to the Thai language course ED visa here? 

is there something similar there? and how easy or how much to pay for this? in case to be an option to stay long and learn the environment and situation?

from Hanoi airport, how to get to the city?

How about to rent a room for a month or 2 months?

As for the easiest jobs for foreigners there maybe for teachers:

what about computer courses: programming, digital marketing, web design, IT and math courses?

this teaching is the least alternative option, more likely to look at business and manegerial role positions, till find the way to establish own business, 

No need to put up any pretenses. Just buy a long term multiple entry tourist or business visa for the duration you want and enter and then do whatever you want once you’re there. You just need a separate work permit if you want to get a job working for someone else. But none of those stupid rules in Thailand like you need a work permit to paint your one house or anything like that. Unlike Thailand, their police focus on real issues, not immigration overstays and work permit violations. And that’s why it’s much safer and less road carnage. Remarkably, you hardly ever see motorbike accidents there, or at least like 90% less than in thailand.

Phillippines be it....speak english and the girls best in the world....Mush easier for visa especially Americans....lived there 6 years and thailand 9 years...Thailand make new rules for immigration not in your favor regularly...becoming more difficult....They Favor the Chinese...no knowledge of Viet Nam..Last time there i was doging bullets (War)   Girls are Gorgeous

On 10/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

3. Long term visas (6 months and up) are getting almost impossible to get, such as the business visa in lieu of non-existent retirement visas. Immigration is weeding out the fake company business visas arranged by agents, according to fresh reports.  People are being turned back or heavily fined. Expensive Temporary Residence Cards are being rejected and seized. Vietnam is clamping down.

However, expat forum reports are saying authentic job offers with work permits are not a problem.  

Most people, especially teachers, are living on 3-month tourist visas, which means leaving the country every 3 months. 

What about to obtain a multiple tourist visa for 3 months?

does this mean to leav the country every month? or just stay till the visa expires?

Thanks

19 hours ago, lexlam said:

What about to obtain a multiple tourist visa for 3 months?

does this mean to leav the country every month? or just stay till the visa expires?

Thanks

The 3-month visa teachers get are usually single-entry, and cheaper. I actually haven't had a tourist visa in several years, using multi-entry business visas exclusively. However, that goes back to very early this year. Things have been changing and I left VN. Some good sources for up-to-date info are Cambodia Expats Online and the myriad VN city expat pages on FB. Pick a city you would like to stay in and join that specific FB page. They often have thousands of members and loads of visa threads. 

what is the best cellphone operation in vietnam, similar ro AIS in Thailand?

How about internet connection in hotels?

How about renting an apartment room and get internet line ADSL connection, is it good and stable for online business?

Thanks

13 hours ago, lexlam said:

what is the best cellphone operation in vietnam, similar ro AIS in Thailand?

How about internet connection in hotels?

How about renting an apartment room and get internet line ADSL connection, is it good and stable for online business?

Thanks

Viettel is Vietnam's biggest carrier.  4G gives around 40mb down.  You can top up many ways, but the scratch cards are popular there also.  You can top up and extend your time validity. 

In general, decent hotels 90mb down / 90mb up. (probably a 100mb plan) Cheaper hotels around 42mb down / 42mb up. 

Yes, you can get your own internet line. I think it's VDSL or Fibre, not ADSL.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, dotpoom said:

Sounds like good advice... though methinks one would have to be from the USA to know what HOA...stands for. Believe it, or believe it not...many of us are not from that country? 

PS. Just figured it out..."Home Owners Association"...for those of us that may know it by a different name.

When you Google it, the main suggestions are about "HOA Horror Stories"... :tongue:

Happy that it's (mainly) USA only :cool:

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Viettel is Vietnam's biggest carrier.  4G gives around 40mb down.  You can top up many ways, but the scratch cards are popular there also.  You can top up and extend your time validity. 

In general, decent hotels 90mb down / 90mb up. (probably a 100mb plan) Cheaper hotels around 42mb down / 42mb up. 

Yes, you can get your own internet line. I think it's VDSL or Fibre, not ADSL.

Thanks leaver,, I got this notice, do they have a counter service available at the airport? or get a sim card fromthe city?

Also, I booked my first week there at Asia guest house hotel, 

checked the map from the Noi Bai airport, and distance appoximately 27 km,

the flight will arrive around 20:20 PM local time, 

is there any public bus, train to get around the hotel or nearby area?

if not, how much the taxi fare approx fromt he airport to the old quarter?

to have some idea in mind and avoid getting troubled by taxi scammers there,

if if a public transport would be my best option, to look around the city, as not in hurry,,

regards, 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:20 AM, lexlam said:

Thanks leaver,, I got this notice, do they have a counter service available at the airport? or get a sim card fromthe city?

Also, I booked my first week there at Asia guest house hotel, 

checked the map from the Noi Bai airport, and distance appoximately 27 km,

the flight will arrive around 20:20 PM local time, 

is there any public bus, train to get around the hotel or nearby area?

if not, how much the taxi fare approx fromt he airport to the old quarter?

to have some idea in mind and avoid getting troubled by taxi scammers there,

if if a public transport would be my best option, to look around the city, as not in hurry,,

regards, 

I haven't flown into Hanoi for a long time. 

I am sure there would be sim cards, money changers, and taxis easily available, but perhaps another member can confirm. 

They may even have the taxi voucher system where you pay at the counter, then are ushered to a taxi, with no more to pay. 

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bus No. 86 from right outside the airport exit door, 35,000vnd ($2), get off at the old City stop and walk 1/2Km to your hotel.

Thanks a lot for the answers, 

what about getting a taxi for the same distance? 

just in case I felt tired,, or rainy weather to go straight door to door, how much will be the fare?

it's really very helpful to have these ideas in mind as mark reference when traveling to a new place int he first time, 

Thanks again, appreciated!

On 10/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

That is how teachers used to operate in Thailand. Then it was no problem

Archived