400,000 baht for marriage visa

Hello everyone, My Thai  wife is in the process of selling her home. she is giving me half the proceeds. I don't quite understand if the 400,000 in my Thai bank account must come from outside of Thailand or  can I take the 400,000 and deposit it into my Thai bank account and use it for my Marriage extension or must i send it out of the country and send it back into Thailand.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Hello everyone, My Thai  wife is in the process of selling her home. she is giving me half the proceeds. I don't quite understand if the 400,000 in my Thai bank account must come from outside of Thailand or  can I take the 400,000 and deposit it into my Thai bank account and use it for my Marriage extension or must i send it out of the country and send it back into Thailand.

Unless you've earned it in Thailand it is supposed to come from abroad; however, they will not ask or check where it came from.

35 minutes ago, kralledr said:

and better deposit like 1k extra and make sure it will not drop below for 2 months until you got approved

How can Thai baht fall and become a lesser amount as a domestic currency in Thailand? Really?

To: OP. Yes you can make the deposit of money in Thailand. They do not interest themself about where the money comes from as it is right now.

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

How can Thai baht fall and become a lesser amount as a domestic currency in Thailand? Really?

To: OP. Yes you can make the deposit of money in Thailand. They do not interest themself about where the money comes from as it is right now.

Hwe probably meant to make sure the balance doesn't drop below 400K, perhaps by some deduction for using ATM card etc

5 hours ago, Moobahn said:

Did anyone had a problem with holding it only 2 months in Bank?

Only at 1 or 2 rogue offices that wanted it in the bank for 3 months since the were using the old rules for retirement extensions.

Not sure they are still doing that or not since it is now since is now 2 months for them as well.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only at 1 or 2 rogue offices that wanted it in the bank for 2 months since the were using the old rules for retirement extensions.

Not sure they are still doing that or not since it is now since is now 2 months for them as well.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only at 1 or 2 rogue offices that wanted it in the bank for 3 months since the were using the old rules for retirement extensions.

I think you meant that a couple of rogue offices wanted three months?

I just show a Thai bank book with 400K+ in there and a letter from the bank stating the amount in my account, dated 2 days before I visit immigration. Than on the day I visit immigration I transfer 100 baht from another account into my 400K account and update the bank book. I make a photo copy of the updated book and they never asked where the money originated from

16 minutes ago, whopper said:

The IO at chiang mai immigration said the 400000 has to come from abroad yesterday. Now I am really confused .   

There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad in any rule.

But of course that is Chiang Mai immigration that makes up their own rules.

11 hours ago, kralledr said:

and better deposit like 1k extra and make sure it will not drop below for 2 months until you got approved

8 hours ago, Moobahn said:

For my "O" extension I've had 400K in the bank 3 months in advance for years because I was told some immigration officers don't accept the 2 months. Did anyone had a problem with holding it only 2 months in Bank?

At Jomtien they only require proof of 2 months seasoning, plus they didn't ask to see bank book when I returned for stamp after sending for approval to Bangkok, so if I'd wanted, I could've spent the 400k straight after the interview.

Does anyone know if the same rules apply for renewing your VISA? 

I did the whole 400K in my account for when I applied first time, 11 months ago, it expires in November but I 370,000B in there at the moment. It's been about that for a while. 

Am I screwed? Or are they more lenient for when you are renewing your 1 year VISA? 

If they are not what would be the best thing for me to do? 

Thank you in advance. 

3 hours ago, Moobahn said:

I just show a Thai bank book with 400K+ in there and a letter from the bank stating the amount in my account, dated 2 days before I visit immigration. Than on the day I visit immigration I transfer 100 baht from another account into my 400K account and update the bank book. I make a photo copy of the updated book and they never asked where the money originated from

When I renewed in February at Rayong imm. they wouldn't accept the bank letter from 3:30 pm the day before so had to go off to Kasikorn in Ban Chang. I had a second visit to our home from immigration for this 4th renewal and he told me I was supposed to support my wife even though she has a resort business I paid for to be built. My Thai isn't very good but the officer was trying to trip us up with the questions he asked my wife and witness during this visit. Now my wife understands why I don't trust immigration and why I'm so cynical about them. Why do you have to visit a bank on the day when immigration opens at 8 am and the bank 9:30? 

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you really sure of this Joe as Rayong always said 3 months to me so I paid into the account accordingly?

1 minute ago, sandrabbit said:

Are you really sure of this Joe as Rayong always said 3 months to me so I paid into the account accordingly?

Friend of mine did his marriage extension at CW back in April. He always has well above 400k all the the time. He said when he went back 4 weeks later to get his extension stamped into his passport, they asked for his updated bankbook and letter confirming he still has X amount in his account. I thought having to maintain at least 400k until you officially get your marriage extension stamp was an official rule now. 

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

i mean that he shall not withdrawl anything and if there is an atm card linked the bank could cut the annual fee, this will drop him below 400k...

1 hour ago, Benbkk26 said:

I did the whole 400K in my account for when I applied first time, 11 months ago, it expires in November but I 370,000B in there at the moment. It's been about that for a while. 

Am I screwed? Or are they more lenient for when you are renewing your 1 year VISA? 

Thank you in advance. 

You can't renew a visa you can only get a new one.

You can renew a permission to stay. You must have 400k in your account for 2 months before you apply for the extension. 

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife (no time limit on money, probably no proof of money needed, ubonjoe will confirm) , this will allow you to do your 1 year extension in January. 

Alternatively you can go out of Thailand to HMC or Savannakhet and get a new visa to restart the process, neither of these require proof of funds, any other visa destination will require proof of funds but not seasoned funds

20 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

It has been 2 months in the police orders since 2006.

From clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 (2014).

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

1 hour ago, Benbkk26 said:

Thank you in advance. 

You are not renewing a one year visa.

You are applying for a 12 month extension of stay.

Yes it has to be 400,000 in the bank 2 months before application.

You can apply for a 60 day extension.

This will give you a bit more time to sort your bank balance out.

1 minute ago, fishtank said:

You are not renewing a one year visa.

You are applying for a 12 month extension of stay.

Yes it has to be 400,000 in the bank 2 months before application.

You can apply for a 60 day extension.

This will give you a bit more time to sort your bank balance out.

All greta advice. Thanks Fishtank and Ubonjoe. 

Is it possible to have one bank account with the required 400,000 baht in it (800,000 if not married to a Thai) and another bank account with a different bank that you have funds deposited into throughout the year? That way you just show the first bank account every time you go to renew or apply for a retirement visa.  Or does the bank account need to show transactions going on throughout the years.

Personally, I would prefer to have two different banks that I use.  One bank for my daily life and a different bank that I show to immigration each year that has very little to no activity but is always above the required amount.  That way whether they need 2 or 3 months proof of the required balance I would always have it.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Or 1 month if you have  children.

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Is it possible to have one bank account with the required 400,000 baht in it (800,000 if not married to a Thai) and another bank account with a different bank that you have funds deposited into throughout the year? That way you just show the first bank account every time you go to renew or apply for a retirement visa.  Or does the bank account need to show transactions going on throughout the years.

Personally, I would prefer to have two different banks that I use.  One bank for my daily life and a different bank that I show to immigration each year that has very little to no activity but is always above the required amount.  That way whether they need 2 or 3 months proof of the required balance I would always have it.

You can have as many accounts as you want. If immigration — seeing you haven’t touched the 400/800K — want to see the money you are living on you can show the second account.

Archived