Successful Extension with new proof of income rules

I used to do my yearly retirement extensions using the Income Affidavit from the US Embassy.  Since they no longer issue the letters this year I had to use the proof of 65k/month method.  I do my extensions in Nakhon Sawan.  The BBL branch that I use said that I had to fill out a request and that it would take 4-5 working days to get the bank statement.  I did that and drove to NS and was told that in addition to the bank statement I needed a letter from the bank stating the balance of the account on that day, even though I had the bank book and a bank statement showing the balance, a whole 645 baht.  I got the letter at a local branch and went back and the extension went quickly as she had processed all of the paperwork while I was at the bank.  I ask her why she needed the letter showing 545 baht and explained to her that the account is an owner only account required by the US government for government pensions and that I transfer all/most of the money to another account that has ATM and internet services.  All that she said was "it's the rules"!

So, at lest at the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office, you need both the 12 month bank statement showing that at least 56k/month is deposited but a letter, issue on that day, that show the current balance in the account.

• Like 1

My IO has always wanted the letter dated same day. They'll accept it from the day before if I then get an ATM slip to show the balance s still unchanged.

This is regarding the letter certifying you own the account and it's details, which is very easy to get.  For the statement showing 12 monthly international transfers, which can be more complicated to get and in some banks may involve a trip to a HQ branch,  that can be issued earlier as long as it documents monthly transfers for the prior 12 months.

• Sad 1

Jesus.  Getting a bank letter on the same day as going to immigration.  Can be a bit of a logistics and time problem since there is no way to be first in line at immigration if first had to go to a bank somewhere.
My immigration office suggested I put the ext application in first (Prachinburi) and then get the bank letter later in the day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

My IO has always wanted the letter dated same day. They'll accept it from the day before if I then get an ATM slip to show the balance s still unchanged.

This is regarding the letter certifying you own the account and it's details, which is very easy to get.  For the statement showing 12 monthly international transfers, which can be more complicated to get and in some banks may involve a trip to a HQ branch,  that can be issued earlier as long as it documents monthly transfers for the prior 12 months.

This was the statement showing the 12 monthly FTT transfers which I picked up yesterday morning at my Bangkok Bank Branch on the way, kinda, to Nakhon Sawan Immigration about 100 kilometers further on.  I actually asked the bank if I needed a letter and they said no.  I had to apply, in person, at the branch last week as it has to be generated in Bangkok and takes 4-5 business days.  When I got to immigration she asked for the letter showing the balance in the account.  I was able to get one from the BBL branch that was not too far from Immigration and the girl there said that it "happens al of the time".  I was happy that they didn't make me go back to my branch to get it.

Since to baht is strong and seems to be getting stronger I asked about the combination method for next year, she said that I could still use it.  If the baht goes below 29 to the dollar I'll have to. I get a private pension also  but they won't deposit it into a foreign bank even if they have a branch in the US.

It  just seemed ridiculous to have to get a letter that showed that there was 645 baht in the account.  I transfer the money into another account that has ATM and internet access when it arrives.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wayned said:

It  just seemed ridiculous to have to get a letter that showed that there was 645 baht in the account.  I transfer the money into another account that has ATM and internet access when it arrives.

The letter is to confirm it is your account and is still valid not the balance in your case.

No need for it to be same day at most offices.

I showed one from the day before along with a one month statement to show my most recent transfer since my one year statement was done weeks before it was credited when I did my extension in August.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The letter is to confirm it is your account and is still valid not the balance in your case.

I showed one from the day before along with a one month statement to show my most recent transfer since my one year statement was done weeks before it was credited when I did my extension in August.

In july I got a bank statement for 6 months feb-July then next January I will get the remaining 6 month balance aug-Jan. 

Would this be ok? It will still show 1 deposit every month for 12 months accompanied by the bank letter snowing the account is still active. 

I did this last July for the 6 months because Bangkok bank can make the statement same day for 100bht 

Edited by keithet

16 minutes ago, keithet said:

In july I got a bank statement for 6 months feb-July then next January I will get the remaining 6 month balance aug-Jan. 

Would this be ok? It will still show 1 deposit every month for 12 months accompanied by the bank letter snowing the account is still active. 

I did this last July for the 6 months because Bangkok bank can make the statement same day for 100bht 

Not sure if immigration would accept two 6 month statements. 

I think I will just order another 1 year next time to be sure. You could request it a week or 2 before you plan applying and it would still be accepted. It is only costs 200 baht for a one year statement.

I paid a total of 400 baht to Bangkok Bank for everything which is much cheaper the cost for income proof from the embassy and long trip to Bangkok for it.

“I had the bank book and a bank statement showing the balance, a whole 645 baht.”

I can top that. I knew things were not going to go well on my renewal day. I couldn’t even get in the queue until I drove back to a nearby bank and got the same printed bank statement transactions and account letter with balance. The. Immigration recommended a nearby Bangkok bank. I was fearing that the bank wouldn’t understand my needs but this bank has had many request this year.

I think the bank only printed 6 months of transactions. 

When I finally got my turn with my queue number the non English speaking IO pointed to my bank book and I figured out that she was not happy that my last bank book machine tally was 1 day old.

No leniency for me. I lost that day but I Will Return.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nah, logistics would not be such a big things, due to that a branch of the bank probably will exist in almost the same area.

Not to put you down, but it can not be a reason to complain just because you can not be the first in line.

for me, the same issue but it would not be about "being first in line".  and it is a huge issue.

it would be about my bank not being in the "weeaung" by about 40 clicks..... and that I want to leave the "weeaung" as soon as I can.  always.  a distaste for everything about the city that I have always had.  or anything closer than 20 clicks of it, what the tourists call "Chiangmai" but isn't to anyone else.   it's no different from being in Bangkok or any city anywhere except cheaper for some service things.  especially still being there in the late afternoon or evening at all.        

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

for me, the same issue but it would not be about "being first in line".  and it is a huge issue.

it would be about my bank not being in the "weeaung" by about 40 clicks..... and that I want to leave the "weeaung" as soon as I can.  always.  a distaste for everything about the city that I have always had.  or anything closer than 20 clicks of it, what the tourists call "Chiangmai" but isn't to anyone else.   it's no different from being in Bangkok or any city anywhere except cheaper for some service things.  especially still being there in the late afternoon or evening at all.        

Is that bank 40 clicks from the Immigration Office? ???? What bank are you using? 

I am considering showing income for a marriage extension soon. 

Did any of these offices ask for proof of origin , or where the money comes from?  like a pension or dividends, work etc. Or is the bank letter showing the FTT transfers for one year and letter showing balance of that day enough?

Edited by whopper
font

Chonburi told me they want any bank statement with a certified/bank stamped letter and account update on the day you go.

Has not been a problem go to the bank at 9am, to imm. around 10 never much of a wait.

The BKK branch I use here does charge 100 b for the service.  No biggie just sayin.

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Nah, logistics would not be such a big things, due to that a branch of the bank probably will exist in almost the same area.

Not to put you down, but it can not be a reason to complain just because you can not be the first in line.

There you go again! At some IOs you have to get there early or risk not beeing seen to on that day, either that or have a long long wait. Some banks (my branch doesn't open until 10.30am) don't open until mid-morning. If we were all perfect like you this wouldn't be a problem, unfortunately we're not. We all manage, somtimes with difficulty to comply with these rules in order to stay here, but it'd be a better experience if people like you wouldn't keep making smart alec comments. You're just a WUM in my opinion and I've now blocked you.

• Thanks 1

For a recent successful ext/stay/ret (income:65k) at CW I was able to use:

BBL account ownership letter (name, account, balance) from the pevious day

BBL Foreign Transfer Statement + Credit Advice/Receipts from ~ three days earlier

BBL same day pass book BF (done at the kiosk in the basement level at CW)

Made logistics relatively straightforward, was able to queue at 06:15, re-queue at 08:00 and get something like L7.

I was not asked for any proof of origin of the funds, although I did have the relevant documentation (Annuity) in hand. 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

There you go again! At some IOs you have to get there early or risk not beeing seen to on that day, either that or have a long long wait. Some banks (my branch doesn't open until 10.30am) don't open until mid-morning. If we were all perfect like you this wouldn't be a problem, unfortunately we're not. We all manage, somtimes with difficulty to comply with these rules in order to stay here, but it'd be a better experience if people like you wouldn't keep making smart alec comments. You're just a WUM in my opinion and I've now blocked you.

First, you will not need to visit your branch where you opened the account. I am pretty sure there is an branch of your bank close enough that opens 08.30.

Also most people that say there is so much problem are retired. That baffles me. How can this be the part of the expat community that always seems to be most stressed, need everything quickly and never have time? retired must stand for something. I sincerely hope I will get more time when retired, then I have now. ????

However, I can understand that we sometimes have to struggle but that´s how life is. Nobody ever told you everything would be easy. Sometimed it´s just to take the bad with the good. Because, of course there are good things in Thailand, otherwise it would be a misstake for so many to retire here, right?

6 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

For a recent successful ext/stay/ret (income:65k) at CW I was able to use:

BBL account ownership letter (name, account, balance) from the pevious day

BBL Foreign Transfer Statement + Credit Advice/Receipts from ~ three days earlier

BBL same day pass book BF (done at the kiosk in the basement level at CW)

Made logistics relatively straightforward, as able to queue at 06:15, re-queue at 08:00 and get something like L7.

That sounds more like a very smart plan and something that everbody should be able to do. Congratulations to another year in paradise.

54 minutes ago, whopper said:

I am considering showing income for a marriage extension soon. 

Did any of these offices ask for proof of origin , or where the money comes from?  like a pension or dividends, work etc. Or is the bank letter showing the FTT transfers for one year and letter showing balance of that day enough?

I was asked for it. I used my pension statement for last year and letter stating the amount. I gave them copies of them and showed the originals mailed to me.

I just used a one year and one month bank statement, my bank book that showed over 2 years of monthly transfers and a standard letter from the bank.

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Thailand... logistics... "probably"... bah, humbug!

Not every applicant lives in a town with multiple bank branch options and for some living in deepest bahn nork, even the trip to immigration itself probably triggers the TM30 malarkey.

Maybe ask the bank to post-date the letter and just make sure you don't touch the money in the interim?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I was asked for it. I used my pension statement for last year and letter stating the amount. I gave them copies of them and showed the originals mailed to me.

I just used a one year and one month bank statement, my bank book that showed over 2 years of monthly transfers and a standard letter from the bank.

I still work... wondering what they want? good question huh....lol ........ I can show a brokerage account the money from my company pays into.   I will probably just put 400000 in a bank account. Who knows with these people

13 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes in Ayuttahya if you are with BBL, ... Luckily ! LUCKLIY .... the bank is just 200m up the road ! but well, once you know what they need, then you go to the bank first, get the lot and then go back to the I Dept.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Thailand... logistics... "probably"... bah, humbug!

Not every applicant lives in a town with multiple bank branch options and for some living in deepest bahn nork, even the trip to immigration itself probably triggers the TM30 malarkey.

Maybe ask the bank to post-date the letter and just make sure you don't touch the money in the interim?

Just read how easy it was for @mtls2005

19 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes in Ayuttahya if you are with BBL, ... Luckily ! LUCKLIY .... the bank is just 200m up the road ! but well, once you know what they need, then you go to the bank first, get the lot and then go back to the I Dept.

Yeah, that sounds perfect. Anyway, I would assume that if the bank would be like 1-3 km from the I-Office. That would not pose such a big problem.

This is something that has to be done once a year with the application, and matbe see to that you can show money in account at every or a few 90 day checks. With a little bit of unluck, that would make it about maximum 5 times a year. Maybe it´s just me, but to me that sounds totally manageble without complaining.

Happy to hear that you do not have a problem and it works fine for you, though. Have a great time.

Edited by Matzzon

42 minutes ago, whopper said:

I still work... wondering what they want? good question huh....lol ........ I can show a brokerage account the money from my company pays into.   I will probably just put 400000 in a bank account. Who knows with these people

400k if possible, that´s the easiest way. no monthly printouts. Just a bankbook showing the money been there for 2 month before application.

8 hours ago, keithet said:

Last year after I knew that I had to do this, I printed out a 6 month statement from BLK, all that is available on line , and took it to my local immigration office, Nakhon Sawan. and ask if two 5 month statements from the internet was okay and she told me NO!  She said that I have to get an "official" 12 month bank statement from the bank.  My branch requires that you fill out a request form and it takes 4-5 business days as it comes from Bangkok.  The branch can only issue the bank balance letter on the same day.  SO as I said earlier I got the statement and went to immigration and they told me that I also needed the bank letter sowing the current balance that day.  This was their current policy and I got the bank statement at a local branch near immigration.  The lady at the bank said that it happens "all of the time". This what Nakhon Sawan required 2 sdays ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In Samui they allow the letter to be a week old.

13 hours ago, whopper said:

I still work... wondering what they want? good question huh....lol ........ I can show a brokerage account the money from my company pays into. 

Where are you working? If here and you have a work permit you can show tax payments on your income to prove the 40k income. If not you have transfer at least 40k into a Thai bank from abroad unless you can get proof of income your embassy.

23 hours ago, wayned said:

I get a private pension also  but they won't deposit it into a foreign bank even if they have a branch in the US.

There is no reason you can not deposit yourself from the US account to your Thai account using Transferwise or SWIFT or another service.  Immigration accepts multiple deposits for monthly 65k total.