Village Maintenace Charges

lelapin

I live in a 60 house gated  village in Pattaya. Midway through the financial year 3 homeowners have not yet paid their annual maintenance fee. What action do other villages take to try to obtain these charges. 2 of the houses are actually rented out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Ours are named and shamed by house numbers posted on the entrance gate to the village............dont know much else can be done

There is probably some legal action, butit would be expensive and probably still no guarantee that you'll get your money.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

There is probably some legal action, butit would be expensive and probably still no guarantee that you'll get your money.

@lelapin Our Juristic has taken some legal action in sending out letters from a lawyer threatening action which apparently produced some results.

I seem to remember you could take out a lien at the land office or something which stops the property being sold until old fees are paid off - unless only for condos? Also not much good if they have no intention of moving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, giddyup said:

They can do that in villages that have well water, but if you are on town water, as we are, it's illegal to do it.

The OP asked what can be done to force payment.  The OP didn't ask for legal ways to force payment.  ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

About 5%-10% of the houses in my moobaan have been abandoned.

Probably purchased on 90%+ home loans.

The grass is shoulder high, the water and electricity meters have been reclaimed.

Don't think there's anything, anyone can to to make them pay the fees.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

The OP asked what can be done to force payment.  The OP didn't ask for legal ways to force payment.  ????

You can't turn off people's water or electricity, you would be sued and they'd win. You could also hire some heavies to beat them up and kidnap their kids, that would work as well, but it's also illegal and stupid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, giddyup said:

We have the same problem in our village of 40 houses, one (Thai) has not paid for several years and refuses to do so, just enjoys all the benefits like security, lighting, pool etc that others pay for, others (Thai) have to be chased, pay in dribs and drabs, and end up months in arrears. I feel sorry for the people who have to collect the money, always getting excuses and having to go back several times. It's a nightmare.

And you just cannot do anything about it ❤️

On 10/21/2019 at 4:45 PM, giddyup said:

Illegal.

We have the same problem. 40% of the home owners refuse to pay the village fees. 

We looked into it and legally, we can have the water and electric meter removed but the Thai board members won't make a decision. This has been going on for 5 years now. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:18 PM, BritManToo said:

About 5%-10% of the houses in my moobaan have been abandoned.

Probably purchased on 90%+ home loans.

The grass is shoulder high, the water and electricity meters have been reclaimed.

Don't think there's anything, anyone can to to make them pay the fees.

There are 4 houses in our village that the bank repossessed. We called the banks and asked they take care of the grass/weed issues. Each bank did with no issue. BUT, refused to pay the village fees.

Call the banks they will accommodate you. 

In my village the people who run the village report the owner to the local land office, so that person can not sell the house until they pay the money that they owe to the village.  You can not stop them from coming into the village that is illegal and the people who run the village could end up in court for not permitting them into their property.  One person in my Soi owes 96,000 and that was 5 years ago so now who knows.

• Like 2