Xmas in LOS?

4 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

so no solutions?

One POSSIBLE solution it to fly CM via bkk airports on same ticket.

Another is to fly into nearby country and enter via border. Or somewhere like KL and if then enter los via air you would only be returned to KL if denied entry

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, pantsonfire said:

So less chance of CM being rejected?   Should i use VE for this?

There was guy recently with long history and tried to obtain setv at Saigon. His returned pp had setv with void stamp. He has used his 2 border exempt.

Bit the bullet and flew into CM visa exempt. No problem. My guess he would of had zero chance at DM.

If you want to be confident of entering without problems:

1. Get a tourist visa. That should be easy from one of the consulates in the UK.
  2. Fly Bangkok->Kuala Lumpur->Vientiane
  3. Enter via the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai.
  4. You can then decide how best to travel to your final destination in Thailand (perhaps, flying from Udon Thani)

Of course, leaving Thailand at the end of your holiday can be a lot simpler.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

1. Get a tourist visa. That should be easy from one of the consulates in the UK.
  4. You can then decide how best to travel to your final destination in Thailand (perhaps, flying from Udon Thani)

Thanks, I already have used 2 SETV this year 3 within 9 months.  

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There was guy recently with long history and tried to obtain setv at Saigon. His returned pp had setv with void stamp. He has used his 2 border exempt.

Bit the bullet and flew into CM visa exempt. No problem. My guess he would of had zero chance at DM.

That might be one option to consider.  I have only used one VE via land border.  

I uses to fly in via HKG at Xmas (from the UK) you have a night there (in a quiet corner), or they have a good arrival lounge outside at T2 to freshen up (i remember getting 180 day entry slip and perhaps only staying 12hrs or Less) may be butter under current conditions.. Then check in and travel on a different ticket to CNX, then it will be all booked in advance (perhaps a consideration to be covered by your UK travel insurance, with a good travel disruption add on). 

Similarly planned, HCMC sounds interesting and would be likely be quite good to stay for Xmas, not sure for visas for a stop over, going and on return, from CNX.

Edited by UKresonant

17 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

I take it spend xmas in UK.  Not even with a new passport?

A new passport will not be much help with immigration since they will link your old and new passports.

16 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

so no solutions?

Fly into a nearby country and enter at a friendly land border and/or fly into friendler airport.

You might not have a problem entering at DMK or BKK but it depends upon the grup of immigration officers on duty at the time. Some officers would just stamp you in and not make a problem

17 hours ago, pantsonfire said:
17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Thanks, I already have used 2 SETV this year 3 within 9 months.  

I am not sure I understand your point. My suggestions are specifically because of your history, and designed to avoid the problems that history might cause. Are you saying that you have tried at one of the UK consulates, and they will not give you a tourist visa? If so, which consulate was that? Alternatively, are you under the impression that there is some kind of a limit entering Thailand with a visa per calendar year? If so, be aware that the only limit is the number of visa exempt entries by land.

Get new passport and a Setv. As far as I am aware the consulates have no access to your travel history they can only check your passport for clues. So getting the visa should be easy. At the airport on arrival they will see your history but with a setv and return ticket, enough cash your chances are pretty good at Suvarnabhumi. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

I didn't see much evidence of 'fun' when I was there.  Any recommendations?

There are some 'hair salons' in Saigon where you won't see any scissors or hair dryers but fun is guaranteed.

55 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Get new passport and a Setv. As far as I am aware the consulates have no access to your travel history they can only check your passport for clues. So getting the visa should be easy. At the airport on arrival they will see your history but with a setv and return ticket, enough cash your chances are pretty good at Suvarnabhumi. 

how reliable is this?

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am not sure I understand your point. My suggestions are specifically because of your history, and designed to avoid the problems that history might cause. Are you saying that you have tried at one of the UK consulates, and they will not give you a tourist visa? If so, which consulate was that? Alternatively, are you under the impression that there is some kind of a limit entering Thailand with a visa per calendar year? If so, be aware that the only limit is the number of visa exempt entries by land.

Sorry i meant is there a limit on SETV per year?  I have had 2 in 2019. 

3 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

how reliable is this?

Not reliable. Your history is VERY ongoing. In your op it would have been quicker to state time outside of los. Does not seem a lot. 

You have been given good advice and keep asking for alternatives. 

Obtaining setv is not the problem, flying from UK to bkk airports is.

59 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

iam getting mixed responses here

1. Go through Chiang mai with SETV

2. Use nearby country land border crossing

3. One poster said can get SETV and ensure have return ticket via main airport in bkk

Which one?

And regarding poster referred to in #3 and ask how that might suit Xmas if denied entry. I assume you realize you don't get a choice (rarely) to be able to fly to nearby country. You will have expensive flight back to UK. At very least could fly to KL and try via air entry to bkk. Then you would only be returned to KL. Your setv would still be intact and you could enter via border.

Return ticket, money etc would often not be looked at.

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not reliable. Your history is VERY ongoing. In your op it would have been quicker to state time outside of los. Does not seem a lot. 

You have been given good advice and keep asking for alternatives. 

Obtaining setv is not the problem, flying from UK to bkk airports is.

During Aug - away for almost 2 months

From now - be away for 2 months

In addition, Jan and April was away for 5 days in each month.

So CNX is not an option?  Therefore the only option being to do the land border crossing?

3 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

how reliable is this?

I did the above this August with a very similar travel history to yours(2 years back to back tourist, 1 month break total) Might be lucky but no issues whatsoever at Suvarnabhumi. They did not even ask for my return ticket or cash. 

6 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

During Aug - away for almost 2 months

From now - be away for 2 months

In addition, Jan and April was away for 5 days in each month.

So CNX is not an option?  Therefore the only option being to do the land border crossing?

CNX via bkk an option. Personally not the one I would do. I would fly to KL. At least then your in Asia. Next steps are variable. Could try KL-CNX.

Could enter via border crossing from KL. etc

24 minutes ago, Bigz said:

I did the above this August with a very similar travel history to yours(2 years back to back tourist, 1 month break total) Might be lucky but no issues whatsoever at Suvarnabhumi. They did not even ask for my return ticket or cash. 

No one would challenge your post of what occurred for you at Swampy. Fact is if you flew from UK then good luck. In recent months (yes your experience recent) its a big call to say no problems. 

Just re read the post I'm quoting. 23 months in los with total ONE month out. On setv,s. Say what!

BTW onward flight arriving with valid setv is not the issue as in most cases its a requirement to obtain setv. 

Edited by DrJack54

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

CNX via bkk an option. Personally not the one I would do. I would fly to KL. At least then your in Asia. Next steps are variable. Could try KL-CNX.

Could enter via border crossing from KL. etc

Many thanks. 

So CNX is an option from travelling from KL ?  

Other option is KL -> Vientiane (Is there more info or any field reports about how to do this)

3 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

Many thanks. 

So CNX is an option from travelling from KL ?  

Other option is KL -> Vientiane (Is there more info or any field reports about how to do this)

KL to Vientiane is bullet proof. You could enter at friendly bridge with setv (if you choose obtain in uk) or visa exempt.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

KL to Vientiane is bullet proof. You could enter at friendly bridge with setv (if you choose obtain in uk) or visa exempt.

I have 2 questions From Vientiane airport to get to Nong khai?  Would a taxi take me past land border?

Then continue on to Udon Thani airport?

Looking at flights to Vietniane seems most changed at BKK, Is that an viable option?

Edited by pantsonfire