Informant led to Brit dive instructor's arrest on Koh Lipe - he overstayed 5 years!

webfact

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

TV posters tend to hate illegal immigrants in their own Country and think their Government should send them all back, yet, TV posters seem to think illegal immigrants in Thailand should be allowed to stay for as long as they like

You are so wrong and trying to compare how we treat immigrants and illegal immigrants in the western world is miles apart compared to Thailand. I think you will find most on here would agree break the rules and get deported but what most rational and humane people on here abject to is the headline news, the humiliation, people being paraded in front of the media or hords of police arresting 70+ yearolds. Then when arrested to be held for basically ransome for families to pay hundreds of thousands of baht to get their loved ones back in conditions that the UN has stated as illegal and inhumane. I am personally sick of how people on here attack any farang who makes relatively small mistakes or errors in life like a pack of rabid dogs tearing away at them. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, 30la said:

You have written a large amount of stupid "friend" of mine, I am willing to do it and I also tell everyone that I know, just for your information.
I have been here for 24 years, LEGALLY with visa and work permit and I do not like illegal!

What?

7 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

I think you will find most on here would agree break the rules and get deported...I am personally sick of how people on here attack any farang who makes relatively small mistakes or errors in life like a pack of rabid dogs tearing away at them. 

Make up you mind!  You mean like people who are here in the country illegally?

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

We really don't know the circumstances that led up to the grassing up. Maybe he was shagging someone's wife? Who knows? May be a thief or just a nasty piece of work and somebody decided enough was enough?

Why suggest that about him when your first four words confirmed that you know nothing about it?

5 hours ago, 30la said:

Well done, this kind of people ruin the reputation of ALL the farangs in Thailand and cause the continuous modification of the visa laws!
I personally am willing to report anyone who is here illegally!

Your reputation must be quite fragile, mine isn't really affected. 

2 hours ago, justin case said:

what about all the illegal lao, myanmar, cambodians living and working here, ILLEGALLY for years

not news worthy, right, but some farang with 22 days, lol

They get arrested and deported also, although some do get away with it, just as all the other farangs who don't get arrested and deported for living and working here illegally get away with it.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ok, so your distaste of the schadenfreude expressed by 30la is understandable, but your example presents an extreme lack of balance. 

Dropping litter is nothing like overstaying, especially for 5 years. 

Driving while drunk, IMO is significantly worse. 

Using an agent is not illegal. 

Anyone who wants to report someone who is harmlessly overstaying is clearly a fairly scummy person.

That said, the numbers of overstayers ultimately has an impact on us all with the crackdowns, TM30, TM28 and Visa-hoops. It could be argued that we are treated as guilty illegals until proven otherwise because of the behavior of these overstayers - so, is overstaying 'harmless' ???

I have no sympathy for an overstayer who's caught - they took their chance. 

Equally so I have no reason whatsoever to feel negatively towards an overstayer, but understand how and why some might. 

My statement was meant to be unbalanced to show the hypocrisy of "I will grass anyone breaking the law" attitude followed by "I'm scared of no one". I would disagree about using an agent as being illegal. First you are legally bound to make your application in person. Second please, please do not try to say having 800k bing placed into your account for 6 months untouched and 400k untouched per year is being done above board. People are being paid by these agents to facilitate the visa which again is illegal. There is also fact that a farang doing any job a Thai can do is basically illegal and just because it is not in forced doesn't make it not illegal. There are very few people I know or have ever known do not balance the gray area of law (while in Thailand I was very, very by the book "black or white" simple reason being beholding to the police for an extortion was not for me or even a minute in a Thai prison cell). I understand it is very hard to get work permits for diving instructors and used to be hard back in 2005 to get a work permit as a teacher. Over stay is stupid but hardly the crime of the century and yes I have known some who have done it over the years. As for your remark about blaming overstay for the persecution of all expats, surely your not that nieve? There is not that many many western expats on overstay a few yes and many find themselves in a catch 22 situation. 

2 hours ago, friend of siam said:

well he show the victory sign....it might that he will stay in los much longer very much longer ...how ?

look 5 years are 365 times 5 comes to 1825 days one day overstay costs 500 bhat ( pls. correct me if I am wrong ) to the max of 20000 in top comes the fines for not reporting 90 days that makes 4000 each time...5 y are 20 reports equals 80000 bhat plus your ticket home..so roughly 200000 bhat otherwise you will stay in a cramped thai immigration cell indefinitely there you have to buy your own food because if u eat what they give you for free you will die of malnutrition or disease ...as a europaen very soon...

http://www.thai-visa.net/deportation-fines.html

mr. british ..mr falang dreamers of all colours..thailand is only nice if u have money lots of money..here money talks louder than anywhere in the world..if you need help or done wrong ( thai definition ) u are in life threatening troubles in no time ..unless above applys means you have money plenty of money...

if you are a rohinga..a asylum seeker they will hold u as slaves use u river kwai style...

You are wrong, max overstay fine 20000 baht. Didn't bother reading past that. 

5 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I understand it is very hard to get work permits for diving instructors and used to be hard back in 2005 to get a work permit as a teacher.

At a fuel station a thai man approached me and asked if i wanted to be a teacher on the school where his daughter is the director. 

I'm not a teacher and never will, i also won't work at all but to be polite i told him i don't have a work permit and also not an english nativ....no problem he said, my daughter take care of it...

Anyway, i politely thanked him and drove off.

35 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I think you should take your meds on time. I am connected myself, so don't worry about me. 

Aready taken them. You are a bit of a joke. "I'm connected." .. Lmfao. You serious. Are you 10 years old.....? 

3 hours ago, transam said:

If immigration had more boots out there instead of sitting in offices waiting for folk to report, the message would get through.

As it is all the paperwork most have to do does nothing. Total waste of time.

Why are they not checking up on farang businesses and staff, if a farang business is legit there is no problem showing staff details...

Them business owners are advised to pay the monthly subscription to the powers that be every month to remain below the radar. Usually advised to do so after being caught cleaning a pool table or moving chairs around in the bar / business. 

Well as far as I remember back in Australia, the Immos regularly raid places where people are working on tourist visas, often on tip-offs. Like fruit farms, hostels and bars. And have done forever. This is no different.

10 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Defiant to the last. That good old British bulldog spirit wont help you now. You wont be frequenting these shores again for a very long time.  

Maybe it was not only the 'V' of Victory but also the Roman cipher 'V' which means 5. Five year overstay is quite an accomplishment nowadays.

Taken immigration 5yrs that’s not something i would be shouting about as it implies incompetence ! Parading farang In front of the cameras for 22 day overstay ? Really I’m sure there’s more important issues than blaming farang for breathing. It’s the ex pats who are living and abiding by the laws who gets tarnished which is wrong,. 
my question for the fella staying 5yrs ~ can the Thai authorities confiscate his land and assets If a homeowner illegally 

He was most likely "grassed up" by a Thai. Koh Lipe is in Tarutao National Park so foreigners at Pak Bara often have there documents checked before being charged the (two-tiered) national park entrance fee. Clearly, a gov't official checked this man's passport, saw he was an overstay but preferred to collect the park entrance fee, then reported him to the authorities on Koh Lipe.

7 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Well as far as I remember back in Australia, the Immos regularly raid places where people are working on tourist visas, often on tip-offs. Like fruit farms, hostels and bars. And have done forever. This is no different.

They conduct raids perhaps because they dont get touts, grasses, dobbers and snitches. Many countries rely on their illegal workers.

8 hours ago, Ketyo said:

They do regular checks for permits during the picking season, often netting  Asian contractors exploiting other Asian workers. So much of the labour market now done through hire firms, huge under payments have been uncovered

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The only change in latter years is the TM 30 and that is so minor as to be laughable.

The  only  thing laughable is your alright jack attitude. The Japanese hate the tm30 especially the businessmen but maybe they arent permanently tying their shoelaces for the authorities here.

Archived