Thai auto-parts maker suspends work at one plant for two months amid industry slump

snoop1130

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yesterday 1 of my wifes cousins visited us, wife asked her, why are you here, what about your job in Bangkok?

Cousin answered, company having serious problems, now we are only working 2 weeks in every month.

Boss said to her, that is the best we can do, the strong baht is causing major problems for us, we are struggling to export are goods.

Sister in law made redundant a month ago from her garment factory for same reason. She did get 50,000 baht redundancy but when that is gone we will be the next resort ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Don't worry the Thai Baht will keep on rising. Nothing to worry about. Don't you dare say recession........ or crash..... 

Just saw a Bloomberg news flash on my mobile saying ThB just hit a 6 year high and that central bankers aren't able to do much about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Relax. It's just another part of ' returning happiness to the people '

As more people are made redundant they can stay at home and relax. No eating because no money to buy food but hey ... play with your smartphone and the hunger will go away.

Aren't the Junta great guys.

Yes they should thank the military government that they don't get obese. 

Exports are almost up and the tourists are almost coming (according to Koolaid drinkers TAT) but not according to market maker TG who still hasn't worked out why people don't want to fly older planes for 40% more.....…..BUT helicopters, submarines, munitions, pollution and hubs are up. 

• Like 1

I am surprised that its taken this long for a large Employer to make these kind of cuts to their Operations.

What is also alarming is the number of other Auto sector Companies that are suffering.

If this kind of thing is happening in the Auto Sector, you can believe its as bad, if not worse in other Manufacturing Sectors.

Rough road ahead me thinks.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 12:13 PM, Yinn said:

will suspend operations at one of its 26 factories for two months, due to a drop in orders from automakers.

Nice you care so much about some Thai worker. You beautiful guy. But no problem. Thailand has 4 million more job than people. Full employment. Everyone have the job.  Hard for business to find worker. 

If it get bad to much, we can just send back some Burma, Cambodia and Laos people. Give there job to thai people.

You can stop worry to much now. Relax my friend. Will be alright.

You are a liar or a troll  i suspect both.

You are certainly not Khon Thai. 

I have Thai friends that are affected by this closure and they find your comments repugnant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, Yinn said:

will suspend operations at one of its 26 factories for two months, due to a drop in orders from automakers.

Generally I agree that this comes down more to anecdote, but that is a 2.5% drop *published* assuming all factories are equal for the quarter.  The more likely scenario though is that the other 25 factories are down a more manageable 5-10% (break-even), and this factory was losing money, which would be more like a 10% drop for the quarter.

Things will likely be fine for people with a buffer and limited debt, but the 10% most vulnerable will be in trouble, and the next 10% become at risk.  This isn’t unique to Thailand either; it is generally true the world over.  But, what is (more) unique to Thailand is the government denial.