Longer term expat question -- have you burned your bridges or were they burned by others?

Jingthing

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's an extreme step but the main reason for US nationals seems to be to divorce from US tax and treasury department filing obligations that are considered by many to be unreasonable and onerous. Very few countries bother their expats in that way. Obviously you need another passport to do that. Personally I never would do that although I would be interested in a second passport.

True & many do not realize with the USA if you have A 2nd passport/nationality & want to give up your US citizenship you still need to pay an exit tax if you fall into certain catagories

https://1040abroad.com/faq/renouncing-u-s-citizenship/

3 minutes ago, meechai said:

True & many do not realize with the USA if you have A 2nd passport/nationality & want to give up your US citizenship you still need to pay an exit tax if you fall into certain catagories

https://1040abroad.com/faq/renouncing-u-s-citizenship/

Not surprising.

Like I said I would never do that but I see the appeal to high wealth people.

Also of course countries that don't allow dual citizenship, etc.

It's nice to have the USA passport to go back to as a "last resort" with no need for a visa. That would be a burnt bridge too far for me and most but apparently giving up the USA citizenship is becoming relatively more popular. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Keeping in touch is a fragile thing. I have found emails to friends and family gradually die off after 10 years or so. My life in Asia is so different to their lives in Germany that we can't relate anymore, one starts to hear such delicate words as "It's all very well for you but we live in the real world" etc. jealousy and misunderstandings arise especially when they are working for a living and you aren't so I don't bother anymore. I can't relate to 'being old and not having anyone', I was always fiercely independent even now in old age, being alone has never held any fears for me. I have my family here but it's nice when they all go out somewhere to the temple or a funeral and I can be alone. If you are old and ill, it is as it is, NHS or medicare won't save you from death, I certainly wouldn't return for a few more years on crutches or a hospital bed.

Sure being elong when you want to is a good thing, I often enjoy my company and the voices in my head can be very entertaining , but no man is an island  and Wilson can get very annoying after a while LOL

Image result for the castaway movie coconut

Edited by sirineou
typo
  • Haha 1

We kept our bridge in tact & thankful we did as we used it a few years ago to return

Like others have said though there was maintenance.

We did go back every few years for a couple weeks to update things like drivers license if needed & some property tax things etc.

We also had out home there rented out so it was good to go back & check on things.

For us a really nice thing was we did in fact learn to live in a different way in Thailand & were able to take the good lessons back with us. We also learned how not to live & learned from that too????

Our life is now much the same in both places.

I think I have. Sold all my UK property so would have nowhere to live. Nearly 15 years away (working) but if/when the job ends here, I may have to go back. My son is only 4 and is only British, so once education is unaffordable here, we may have to go "home".

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No

Did not burn bridges, deliberate decision before moving to Thailand.

Have a property in the UK which has been rented out since I have been here.

Another in Italy

Did not buy in Thailand, rented.

Retained UK bank accounts & brokerage accounts.

Driving license renewed with several years to run.

Lost a few UK friends I guess.

Worked out well as my time in Thailand as a full time expat coming to an end.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2019 at 1:51 AM, gk10002000 said:

My parents pretty much always "owned" their own business.  A deli, a lounge, a restaurant, then another one.  This is the mid 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.  Their accountant (s) always told them to not pay themselves much to avoid income taxes and also paying into social security.    A plausible plan, if one actually saves for retirement.  They did not.  They lived in debt, worked in debt, died in debt.  Dad got a measly $1,100 social security benefit.  I guess I thank them for implicitly showing me how not to do things.   So over the years I invested for income, dividends, interest etc., and can now punch out.  my starting social security if I start next year at 63 will be $2,000 a month.  My total income will be more than enough for a very comfortable lifestyle.   Next week I get fully vested in the company 401k matching contributions.  So if they don't transfer me back to tax free Florida, well, I may be back on the contract engineering market.  Which is funny because when I turned 50 it was hard to get a direct job as they were looking to hire young so I fell into contracting and made a ton.  Now I am finishing up a 3 year salary stint because they really did make me a strong offer and medical was so cheap compared to what Obamacare was going to hammer me as an independent individual.  Now, I am looking for contract work (DOD aerospace stuff) but I am getting my phone rung off the hook for direct jobs because they all need experienced people!  Times do change

My plan since 2004 (my first visit to Thailand) always was to semi-retire there.  There is so much of the country and neighboring countries to still see and experience.  I was planning on getting the retirement visa(s) for convenience as I come and go from the country. But between TM 30, 90 day reporting, the inane USA income verification letters gone and replaced with forced money transfers monthly, Thailand is just not glowing at the moment.  Still planning on a 60 day SETV and then a 30 day extension to feel out if I really want to hang there as much as before.  I could spring for that Elite visa, but I will a bit and see how this medical fiasco pans out.  I was planning on getting some Thai medical anyway, just to be on the safe side, but those plans on the tgia site for Non OA visas were poor.  I will hold off on any big moves for a while

Were your parents happy? You seem fixated on wealth... You'll fit right in Here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bournville said:

Were your parents happy? You seem fixated on wealth... You'll fit right in Here in Thailand. 

Again a ridiculous and inane interpretation. Wealth is just a means to an end.  I made enough to not need to be supported in my old age or non working age which may be very soon.  I own nothing, no debt, no loans, no mortgage.  A total of three pairs of pants.  Drive a 2008 Kia sorento.  No, my parents were in general just going through life.  Dad wasted years.  Mom was as loyal as a dog and got nothing out of it.

My friendships collapsed, rather than burned. I tried to keep them up, but others lost interest.

One used too much wacky backky and went insane, one stole a lot of money off me, one developed interests that I have no interest in, most live too far away to visit, some took offence over some imagined offence and shunned me, etc.

What has shocked me is that people that should be my friends don't want to be. 

I also discovered that it gets harder to make friends as I get older, and I actually prefer being alone. Every time I do meet up with a good friend, I feel sad after they've gone. I don't like feeling sad, so better to just carry on alone.

My wife was supposed to be my friend in old age, but ………......

• Like 1