Bringing prescription medication into Thailand.

samsingsong

I'm coming to Thailand for 3 months and I have to take several prescription medicines.

Looking at the rules on the Thai Embassy website  it says that you are only allowed to take in a 30 day supply.

I'm not sure if this is only in the case of narcotics, or for all meds? To be honest, I'm having difficulty getting my head around the supplied info! If I can only take 30 days worth, that's obviously going to be a big problem for me.

Does anyone know if I can get permission to bring in a supply to cover my trip?  

The rule is 30 days but in practice it is not strictly enforced as long as the quantities look consistent with personal use. They will be more tolerant if coming in on a visa than visa exempt since the latter allows only 39 day stay.

As long as not a controlled substance the worst that will happen is the excess quantity may be confiscated and held at customs for you to collect on your way out.

Many drugs can be bought over the counter here in inexpensive local generic so you might like to mention what you are on, might reduce the amount you need to bring.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

No, it's not a problem at all. 

Even one of my patients who was on Methadon was allowed to enter. 

However I supplied a concerning letter. 

So ask your GP to do same for you. ????

Later you might see a Doc in a recommended Hospital in Thailand to give you a new prescription. 

A Thai friend works as a Psychiatrist at the local government hospital and drugs such as Methadone/ Polamidon can easily be prescribed.

Even morphine doesn't seem to be a problem if you have the right documentation. 

Do not try to smuggle anything into Thailand and declare your medication with a "concerning letter" as in sawasdee's post. 

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

And it might be cheaper to source your meds in Thailand than in your home country, too.  At least it has been for us vs. what we paid in the U.S. 

The USA is a special case in terms of pharmaceutical gouging. All PBS prescriptions in Oz are $6.50. Australian dollars, that is.

I am a diabetic and bring in about 18 to 24 months of insulin supply every time I come back from Australia, I also have a friend over here who does the same but he has epilepsy and he brings in a carry on size bag of meds. He does have a covering letter from his doctor. Neither of us have ever been stoped or questioned.

Edited by kuzie57
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The rule is 30 days but in practice it is not strictly enforced as long as the quantities look consistent with personal use. They will be more tolerant if coming in on a visa than visa exempt since the latter allows only 39 day stay.

As long as not a controlled substance the worst that will happen is the excess quantity may be confiscated and held at customs for you to collect on your way out.

Many drugs can be bought over the counter here in inexpensive local generic so you might like to mention what you are on, might reduce the amount you need to bring.

Over the counter Big chemists like Boots and Watsons are in every Big Shopping Mall as well as many other major roads. It might be a good idea to find out from your Doctor if there are any suitable non-prescription medicines you could use if you have a problem. Then look up on the internet to see if they are available at the 2 chemist chains I have mentioned in Thailand.

Thank you all for your replies. I have been travelling to Thailand every year for 20+ years, staying up to 8 months and just bringing my meds (which have increased over the years!). I've never been stopped in probably 40+ trips.

However when I applied for my visa this time, I noticed for the first time at the top of the Thai Embassy webpage 'Taking prescription medication into Thailand'. So I looked into this, but found that the Thai Food and Drug Admin website is down for maintenance. So I can't use their 'Check my drug' advice.

When I started this post I wasn't sure if the '30 Day supply' rule was for all meds or just narcotics. Reading again I think it does apply to all meds. 

The only 'dodgy' meds I take are Tramadol (pain) and Zopiclone (sleep). The other day I stumbled on a list which described both as not controlled, and not in their 'section 2' list, but I can't now find that.

Regarding buying them in Thailand. I know you can get most drugs over the counter, but take care some are fake! (By 'Fake' I don't mean generic's, but fakes made from plaster / brick dust etc.) I'm English and over 60, so I get my meds supplied on the NHS, so not cheaper for me in Thailand. I got the pharmacy to print out the prescription counter-part form which lists all the meds and got them to stamp it. (I thought the Thai authorities would like to see a stamp:)

If I hadn't noticed the 'Taking prescription medication into Thailand' section when I applied for my visa, then I would just pack 'em and go into Thailand blissfully unaware! BUT now I am aware, I think the safe option would be to email the Thai FDA  [email protected]

Please keep your advice coming if you have any further thoughts / info.

Edited by samsingsong

As I've said previously, you could bring a body in past customs, as long as you don't declare it.

Every 6 months I enter with 6 months supply of prescription meds. Been doing so for 6 years. Never a problem.

As I've said previously, you could bring a body in past customs, as long as you don't declare it.

Every 6 months I enter with 6 months supply of prescription meds. Been doing so for 6 years. Never a problem.

Just recently someone on this board was stopped, luggage searched and supplements confiscated.

Never a good idea to assume your bags won't be checked just because they haven't been before.

15 hours ago, samsingsong said:

know you can get most drugs over the counter, but take care some are fake! (By 'Fake' I don't mean generic's, but fakes made from plaster / brick dust etc.)

Unless buying from a street vender, or way below normal price, drugs in cities of Thailand are not likely to be fake.  And the best place to buy is normally at the large drug stores outside hospital locations as they have best stocks and offer wholesale prices for larger orders (they are often used by smaller drug stores).  I would not use the makeup/sundry western chain stores for buying drugs.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I have been travelling to Thailand every year for 20+ years, staying up to 8 months and just bringing my meds (which have increased over the years!). I've never been stopped in probably 40+ trips.
However when I applied for my visa this time, I noticed for the first time at the top of the Thai Embassy webpage 'Taking prescription medication into Thailand'. So I looked into this, but found that the Thai Food and Drug Admin website is down for maintenance. So I can't use their 'Check my drug' advice.
When I started this post I wasn't sure if the '30 Day supply' rule was for all meds or just narcotics. Reading again I think it does apply to all meds. 
The only 'dodgy' meds I take are Tramadol (pain) and Zopiclone (sleep). The other day I stumbled on a list which described both as not controlled, and not in their 'section 2' list, but I can't now find that.
Regarding buying them in Thailand. I know you can get most drugs over the counter, but take care some are fake! (By 'Fake' I don't mean generic's, but fakes made from plaster / brick dust etc.) I'm English and over 60, so I get my meds supplied on the NHS, so not cheaper for me in Thailand. I got the pharmacy to print out the prescription counter-part form which lists all the meds and got them to stamp it. (I thought the Thai authorities would like to see a stamp:)
If I hadn't noticed the 'Taking prescription medication into Thailand' section when I applied for my visa, then I would just pack 'em and go into Thailand blissfully unaware! BUT now I am aware, I think the safe option would be to email the Thai FDA  [email protected]
Please keep your advice coming if you have any further thoughts / info.
You do not need to email as you are not bringing in anything that rrquires a permit.

Just makes sure all is in labelled prescription bottles. You might like to consolidate a bit so that number of bottles is less. Appearance matters, if at a glance it looks like too much for personal use that will lead to more examination and questions. I would also suggest having a doctor's note stating what has been prescribed and why. That is good idea anyway in case you need to consult a doctor while here.

• Thanks 1

Sheryl Thanks for your further advice. Can you please confirm that Tramadol and Zopiclone don't require a permit for more than a 30 day supply? I can't now find the info that I read previously which said they weren't on the controlled list.

I have an email ready to send with a photo of my prescription attached, but maybe I shouldn't attract attention to myself that way! 

I also agree with lopburi3 "the best place to buy is normally at the large drug stores outside hospital locations". I agree that these stores should be safe. However there's big money in a lot of prescription drugs, and the Chinese are great at copying anything. Maybe fake stock could end up in a large pharmacy. There's been a case here in the UK of fake vodka found on sale in Tesco!

9 hours ago, samsingsong said:

Sheryl Thanks for your further advice. Can you please confirm that Tramadol and Zopiclone don't require a permit for more than a 30 day supply? I can't now find the info that I read previously which said they weren't on the controlled list.

I have an email ready to send with a photo of my prescription attached, but maybe I shouldn't attract attention to myself that way! 

I also agree with lopburi3 "the best place to buy is normally at the large drug stores outside hospital locations". I agree that these stores should be safe. However there's big money in a lot of prescription drugs, and the Chinese are great at copying anything. Maybe fake stock could end up in a large pharmacy. There's been a case here in the UK of fake vodka found on sale in Tesco!

Please see the attached. Neither of these drugs is a Class  2 narcotic.

narcotic list update_2018(6).pdfpsychotropic substances list update_2018(4).pdfnarcotics psychotropics import.pdf

In fact tramadol is sold over the counter in Thailand.

lopburi3 is correct re fake pharmaceuticals nto being an issue here in legitimate pharmacies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 3:49 AM, Sheryl said:

Please see the attached. Neither of these drugs is a Class  2 narcotic.

narcotic list update_2018(6).pdf 203.33 kB · 1 download psychotropic substances list update_2018(4).pdf 155.59 kB · 1 download narcotics psychotropics import.pdf 199.08 kB · 0 downloads

In fact tramadol is sold over the counter in Thailand.

lopburi3 is correct re fake pharmaceuticals nto being an issue here in legitimate pharmacies.

Cheryl, thanks for that. However Zopiclone does appear to be on the Psychotropic substances list in column ประเภท 2 / Category II (am I right?)

Also I'm concerned about the 30 Day supply rule when the amount I'm taking in is for 90 days. I'm taking on-board your earlier advice about the amount being consistent with the duration of stay, cutting down the number of bottles etc.

You said that I don't need to notify them as I'm not brining in anything controlled (but not sure about Zopiclone now?).

So the 90 day supply is OK (no need to notify them in advance or declare on arrival) if I carry a doctors letter or copy of prescription, just in case I'm stopped?

10 hours ago, samsingsong said:

Cheryl, thanks for that. However Zopiclone does appear to be on the Psychotropic substances list in column ประเภท 2 / Category II (am I right?)

Also I'm concerned about the 30 Day supply rule when the amount I'm taking in is for 90 days. I'm taking on-board your earlier advice about the amount being consistent with the duration of stay, cutting down the number of bottles etc.

You said that I don't need to notify them as I'm not brining in anything controlled (but not sure about Zopiclone now?).

So the 90 day supply is OK (no need to notify them in advance or declare on arrival) if I carry a doctors letter or copy of prescription, just in case I'm stopped?

You do not need a permit to bring in an approved pyschotropic (i.e. category 2,3 and 4.). Only narcotics.

The legal limit is 30 days as explained. They can confiscate amounts in excess of that. In practice, as already explained, they do not usually count out tablets or strictly enforce the 30 day aspect as long as the quantities appear consistent with personal use for a short trip.  The cases I have heard of where they confiscated were virtual suitcase fulls not a couple of prescription bottles.

If they do confiscate it is held at customs and can be reclaimed on the way out of the country.  But this is unlikely to occur.

What they are concerned about is people bringing pharmaceuticals in for resale. That and banned substances.

Cheryl, thanks for your patience in explaining this situation again and sorry to be so thick!

I do take a lot of prescription medicine for a number of ailments. It adds up to a UK pharmacy's plastic carrier bag full per month. So if I did put them all in one case (and not split between cases incase one gets lost) then it would pretty much fill a case.

I've been bringing meds into Thailand for 20 years, and until 4 years ago we used to stay 6-8 months a year, which meant brining in a load! As I  couldn't always get my GP to prescribe enough for my stay, I'd leave a repeat prescription with my sister and she would post them to me. Never had a problem, always received ok.

So after all these years of being blissfully unaware, and when applying for my visa this year seeing the rule about bringing in prescription medication for the first time, it shook me a bit!  

So I'll go-ahead as always. I'm staying 90 days and brining a supply to cover that only. Also I have the prescription counter-parts listing the meds & amounts in case I'm stopped. I'll try to get my GP to sign those prescription counter-parts (but doubt she will!).

Thanks again for all replies.