Thai govt to push ‘active ageing’ plan

webfact

Govt to push ‘active ageing’ plan

By THE NATION

800_fb94831d632664d.jpg?v=1572313180

Reporting on the recent National Elderly Person Committee Meeting chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek said on Monday that the number of elderly persons, defined as those over the age of 60, as of 2018 stood at 12 million or 18 per cent of total population.

“Most of those aged between 60 and 64 are still in good health and capable of working,” she said. “However, up to 41 per cent of them are unemployed or have voluntarily stopped working, meaning that they now have an inactive lifestyle. Furthermore, statistics show that many Thai people are entering old age without proper preparation.”

With the government pushing the aging society issue as a national agenda item, the meeting agreed to promote the “active aging” plan, which focuses on providing and upgrading vocational skills for the elderly as well as designing jobs suitable for them and which help promote the ageing lifestyle. “The plan also urges employers to hire more elderly staff by providing benefits, as well as encouraging seniors to sign up for the National Savings Fund (NSF) to promote sustainable financial management in old age,” she said.

Ratchada added that the Deputy PM had agreed to push the 3-year elderly person operational plan (2020-2022) which highlights adequate preparation for old age, promotion of elderly person’s careers, and development of professional carers. “The plan will be driven at both regional and community levels to make sure that no elderly person is left behind,” said Jurin. “The government firmly believes that older Thais have an important role to play in driving society forward.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377840

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-29
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

My wife has no pension plan organised by her company (which is a foreign company) and this same company does not provide her with social security, as they should. In a nutshell, she will be out in the streets begging once I am kicked out of this country because of the visas and red tape and unable to help her.

Canada's pension plan is appalling as far as I am concerned. But Thailand's is non existent. I really worry for my wife long term...

Alright then, tell us what you have done to secure her future.  I'm guessing you've taken a few positive steps...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Furthermore, statistics show that many Thai people are entering old age without proper preparation.”

I guess they won't be relying on the countries robust pension welfare scheme!

50 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Canada's pension plan is appalling as far as I am concerned.

If you check with other Canadians, you should find that Canada's pension system is one of the best to be had.  Having lived in Thailand for many years and having my pensions deposited in my bank account every month, there have been no problems.  Having said that, you do not like the Canadian pension system but do not specify why you feel that way, which could be very revealing.  Although you say that Thailand's pension is non existent, did not your wife obtain a lump sum payment from her employer when, i.e. if, she retired at the retiring age, which is required by law?

'nuf sed.

19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Makes it sound as if they'll be handing out 'ageing cream' to potential crumblies.

The lovely, well paid, fresh faced and youthful looking Ratchada Thanadirek (below) observes that “most of those aged between 60 and 64 are still in good health and capable of working” 

So I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in conscription for the over 60's. Women could work in the fishing industry, washing monk's underwear or household duties for the elite. Men could be rubbish collectors and do sewage maintenance.

They should be contributing to the economy, not sitting around unemployed. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Ratchada.jpg

old lady.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

The lovely, well paid, fresh faced and youthful looking Ratchada Thanadirek (below) observes that “most of those aged between 60 and 64 are still in good health and capable of working” 

So I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in conscription for the over 60's. Women could work in the fishing industry, washing monk's underwear or household duties for the elite. Men could be rubbish collectors and do sewage maintenance.

They should be contributing to the economy, not sitting around unemployed. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Ratchada.jpg

old lady.jpg

'washing monk's underwear'

You obviously move in different circles to me, I had no idea monks wore underwear. Seems rather decadent.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Most of those aged between 60 and 64 are still in good health and capable of working,” she said. “However, up to 41 per cent of them are unemployed or have voluntarily stopped working,

Millions of Thai civil servants  have to retire at the age of 60.
Why so young?

By cons I know many farmers, traders, industrialists, small and larger who continue to work very actively while they are over 70 years old ..

Find the mistake .

3 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Thai culture: they hire Young people only. For example, American Macdonalds employees have seniors and young people. But Thailand, they won’t hire you if you are 36 and above.

Correct, I have a friend who was made redundant from Big C at the age of 40 after 24 years service.

She has spent 6 months trying to find a similar position but as soon as she says her age it's sorry you're too old.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

More urging and encouraging ???? why would people be prepared for anything when the government isn’t?  There would be a lot more young people if tens of thousands didn’t die and get maimed on the roads through pure neglect and corruption 

22 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

If you check with other Canadians, you should find that Canada's pension system is one of the best to be had.  Having lived in Thailand for many years and having my pensions deposited in my bank account every month, there have been no problems.  Having said that, you do not like the Canadian pension system but do not specify why you feel that way, which could be very revealing.  Although you say that Thailand's pension is non existent, did not your wife obtain a lump sum payment from her employer when, i.e. if, she retired at the retiring age, which is required by law?

i.e. if, she retired at the retiring age, which is required by law?

Not if she did not pay social security, as I explicitly say in my op. Her company don't take it out of her salary.

Why I hate the Canadian pension plan? Just answer this question for me. 

How many years do you need to live and work there in order to be eligible for a minimum pension that you can barely live off?

How many years do you need to live and work there in order to get the top pension?

22 hours ago, mosan said:

Alright then, tell us what you have done to secure her future.  I'm guessing you've taken a few positive steps...

We are currently in the process of building a house. One that I will unlikely be able to live in for long the way the visa game is going here. 

Any clever ideas on how to help the ageing in Thailand mosan? I'm sure Deputy Prime Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek

would like to know. 

6 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

i.e. if, she retired at the retiring age, which is required by law?

Not if she did not pay social security, as I explicitly say in my op. Her company don't take it out of her salary.

Why I hate the Canadian pension plan? Just answer this question for me. 

How many years do you need to live and work there in order to be eligible for a minimum pension that you can barely live off?

How many years do you need to live and work there in order to get the top pension?

We are currently in the process of building a house. One that I will unlikely be able to live in for long the way the visa game is going here. 

Any clever ideas on how to help the ageing in Thailand mosan? I'm sure Deputy Prime Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, deputy government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek

would like to know. 

You haven't given us very much to work with here.  You say "We are currently in the process of building a house."  How exactly does that help secure her future--like most folks I know here in Thailand, that means spending millions of Baht, not investing in an emergency fund or a savings account which would mean building a liquid asset.  No you're just on here saying companies and governments are not helping you.  Governments and companies don't usually put your interests before theirs. You have to look out for yourself--which apparently you have either failed or refused to do and now looking for someone to blame.  Fair enough, but the effort you put in will reflect in what you get back...  

No malice intended, but you have some soul searching to do.  

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, hotchilli said:

Correct, I have a friend who was made redundant from Big C at the age of 40 after 24 years service.

She has spent 6 months trying to find a similar position but as soon as she says her age it's sorry you're too old.

Plenty of market stalls and roadside kiosks for the old people to work in Thailand.

Only employing young people is a feature of modern civilisation worldwide.

Once I was over 40 in the UK, the company I worked for, hoped I would leave, young people are cheaper to employ.

Agree with Mosan, building a house for them and spending $$$$$$s is completely pointless.

Buying them a plot of agricultural land they could farm with a twig hut to live in would be more effective.

Giving them $$$$$s would also be a waste as few locals have any money management skills, and it would be gone in months.

I still think the traditional Thai was is the best, have as many children as possible and hope one of them feeds you and houses you as you get older.

Edited by BritManToo

On 10/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, Cadbury said:

Ratchada.jpg

old lady.jpg

That's a terrific idea. Conscript the elderly to perform essential jobs, such as cleaning parrot cages and weeding vegetable patches for military officers' horrid wives.  This is work that young conscripts are no longer prepared to do.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mosan said:

You haven't given us very much to work with here

Cos it ain't any of your business. Who is "us" anyways? 

Your the only one who is nosing around. I'll bet you're a baby boomer who had a silver spoon job wise when you were young. I'm a generation X and my gang spent most of our time on unemployment and we suffered all the gvt implementations of cut backs in spendings in the 80s and 90s. I was being polite to you but I dont have to justify my gripe regarding cdn pensions cos if youre benefiting from it already then you certainly have no idea what my generation went through. 

On 10/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Having lived in Thailand for many years and having my pensions deposited in my bank account every month, there have been no problems.

Exactly what I thought ... you are a baby boomer who got all the benefits post war kids got... then your generation shut down all those benefits for mine. Pension moved up to 67 comes to mind... and all the benefits your generation got from the gvt bursaries and loans for college you guys profited from due to all the loopholes. Then when you guys got to lead the gvt you shut all the loopholes to the following generations.

You can hold the Canadian flag as high up as you want... but I know where it should be stuck.

Edited by LazySlipper