Are there poisonous Spiders in Thailand? The definitive answer from a Thai Doctor.

exparte

23 hours ago, exparte said:

As I was recently bitten by a spider, I thought I would give the definite answer to the question "Are there poisonous Spiders in Thailand?" as it was given to me by a Emergency Room Doctor in Nakhon Ratchasima.

How many spiders do you eat in your lifetime?

Or did you mean venomous?

Sorry, Jak beat me to it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 5:05 PM, worgeordie said:

There are no Poisonous spiders in Thailand...but there could be Venomous ones, ditto snakes.

regards worgeordie  

Tarantulas are quite a delicacy apparently. In Cambodia, kids go out and catch them in the fields and bring them home for supper.

I used to jump a foot or so whenever I saw a scorpion. That was until my wife's uncle picked one up in the garden and claimed for his next meal. Issan folks. they'll eat anything!

I was once bitten ( stung ?) by a spider  in South Thailand that looked like a half  version of this.

http://www.oceanwideimages.com/categories.asp?cID=349

It certainly caused a welt , and if 'necrrosis' is taken to mean your skin melts ( a 10 baht size ) , seems to recover , then can be easily wiped off again , then thats what I had for about 3 weeks.

Forget the drugs ... they give the very same EVERY time I go , even for flu or Dengue.

Its a 'bill padding' thing .

Basically  all  spiders  have a poisonous  bite. But  not all  are  capable  of  biting  people despite  being some of the  most  venemous.

Reaction to a spider  bite varies with individual and spider.

But  any  spider  bite  that  develops into a necrotic  ulcer  wound  needs  to  be taken  good  care of. That is not because  the ulcer is in itself poisoned  but because the localized poison has  destroyed the  flesh and is now open to infection.

On 10/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, exparte said:

I went to the Hospital where the Doctor explained to me that there are no dangerous spiders in Thailand unless you brought on in to Thailand, The spiders that do have venom are similar to bees wand wasps. Their venom is protein based; and similar to Bees and Wasps stings; some pope can have an Allergic reaction and that was what I was experiencing. 

I'm happy to hear that there are no dangerous spiders in Thailand.

I'm however not happy to hear that about venom similar to wasps...????

A simple google search should put anyone frightened of spiders at ease.  Deaths from spider bites are almost non-existant accounting for less than 3 worldwide. 

Bites can be uncomfortable/painful but the biggest risk is from infection.

There are no spiders in Thailand that are capable of killing adult humans.

My friend was bitten a few years ago when he went to start his scooter . Very small spider on the handgrip bit him and he didn’t think much off it , couple of days later his skin started to rot around the bite area . Took a month to heal up .

11 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

There are no spiders in Thailand that are capable of killing adult humans.

My friend was bitten a few years ago when he went to start his scooter . Very small spider on the handgrip bit him and he didn’t think much off it , couple of days later his skin started to rot around the bite area . Took a month to heal up .

Happened to a colleague of mine, he was bitten by something in Koh Samui, when he returned to Germany the bite became an abscess that just kept getting bigger, he was treated by a doctor in Munich but without success, he ended up having to go to the tropical illness institute in Hamburg before it got better.

39 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Happened to a colleague of mine, he was bitten by something in Koh Samui, when he returned to Germany the bite became an abscess that just kept getting bigger, he was treated by a doctor in Munich but without success, he ended up having to go to the tropical illness institute in Hamburg before it got better.

Strangely enough my friend was in samui also ! 

Working in farming for many years whilst visiting a client here in Thailand I took the opportunity to spend a few days at a large yearly International Poultry Exhibition in Bangkok.

Sometime during the show I was unknowingly bitten on the arm by what proved to be a spider.   I become violently sick and was taken to emergency in hospital.    By the time I got to hospital I had low level hyperventilation and uncontrollable shaking.   The doctor saw the bite marks on my upper arm and I was given an Intravenous injection of Plasil and Dramamine.   Before the injection I was asked if I was allergic to either medicines and replied that I had never had Plasil before.    "Ok" the doctor said, gave the injection and walked away.    The ward was very busy.

A minute later I felt really strange, my toes curled, there was numbness to end of toes and all of my legs, this worsened and spread to the all of my feet.     I kept calling for a nurse but the emergency ward was busy and a child was shouting.    No one came back for nearly 30 minutes.
My toes were permanently damaged with what is known as "chicken toes" meaning that they curl, they also become very prone to fractures.    This is a a known but rare response, the doctor / nurse should have stayed to check me out.

Are there poisonous spiders in Thailand - Yes - but maybe only ones that have arrived in a box at an exhibition.    Be aware of anything that bites / stings, if there is a change of any kind to your body that you are uncomfortable with see a doctor, ensure you know your drug allergies ( I carry a list with me at all times which includes antibiotics ).

Edited by Speedo1968
Added text

Doctors in Thailand know jack <deleted>. Misdiagnosis is common here, and the local patient will just accept it.

I have a friend who has been bitten twice by yellow sac spiders. First time he was ill for a while, second time he was in hospital for a week and suffered nerve and kidney damage. He was told 'next time it will kill you'. If you do die, the cause of death will probably be put down as heart failure - which, i suppose, is sort of true. Cause of death in Thailand is always whatever will be the least problematic for the doctor.