What will my house-keeper / maid do all day?

tom in bangkok

10 hours ago, neeray said:

Obviously OP has no concerns about the loss of privacy with boyfriend. Bringing a stranger into the picture and expecting her to integrate like family sounds quite challenging to me.

Ever heard, "my home is my castle"?

Try a male maid ,  natural integration , etc..

7 minutes ago, elliss said:

Try a male maid ,  natural integration , etc..

Or sell the car and there will be many grab-rides to the station. On top of that no need to pay salary to a maid. And no need to feed her. 

22 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

What are your thoughts if you have a maid?

Had a maid. Don't worry, she'll watch TV, play phone, eat, and sleep. However, some days she might do laundry and ironing...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Short of buying her a chew toy, or some equivalent, I wouldn't worry too much.  It's not like her life is dependent on your presence, like a dog or a cat. 

I assume she would be doing whatever it was she was doing before she met you, except now she cleans your house. 

• Like 1

Experienced maids can always find something to do the laundry alone takes a half a day and the cleaning of the house and wash the car, carport ,water the garden and take care of the kitchen duties with shopping at the market takes time. you never give a maid your credit card but only give enough cash for the market and other shopping. The maid does not eat at the table but separate from her employers.

To have a maid that drives a car is rare, but motorcycles yes.

I have had maids both Thai and Burmese for the past 25 years, most of the time we had 2 as for company for each other. You don't have to worry about boredom as today they have internet and line to talk and meet friends.

what about sexual needs?

do you allow suitors into the home and are your wife and child comfortable with this? does the thought of a three headed monster romping about at night bother you, why does it bother you?

or perhaps its not sexual and you desire to LORD over THEE house?

though romantic and victorian sounding, introducing another into the family home is rife with difficulty and can cause more problems then it solves.

consider getting her an apt off site and coming in for daily tasks.

Edited by fhickson

40 minutes ago, fhickson said:

do you allow suitors into the home and are your wife and child comfortable with this? does the thought of a three headed monster romping about at night bother you, why does it bother you?

I've never allowed other men into my home., apart from immediate relatives.

My daughter brought a boy home once, he sat outside the gate and talked to her through it.

• Haha 1

There are a lot of replies that insinuate that I think that the maid would be a "lesser" human than I. I'll set the record straight and say that I think live-in maids is a strange concept to me and that I still feel uncomfortable about it -- especially given the tiny room they are to live in.

I've spoken with a lot of Thai people about how they treat their 'maids' and if they treat them like... people. All I get is just a puzzled expression with a "what do you mean....?" and the same response when I ask if they eat with them.

I'm fairly ignorant to the whole culture here regarding live-in maids but I've taken onboard what many of you have said, so thanks for that.