Gulf War veteran, 55, was killed by a single punch from a bouncer in Thailand who claimed he tried to leave go-go bar without paying his bill

snoop1130

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

So, once again trying to exculpate your countrymen. Sad, but typical.

A simiar thing happened to a friend of mine - 66 year old American man,  severely beaten in Chiang Mai province - by a gang of spineless young Thai men thugs.

So again, in what is I'm afraid to say typical Thai fashion - we have 3 young men (well, that's a generous label for these cockroaches) vs one old foreigner. They immediately start swinging, no attempt to simply restrain or remonstrate with the man (caught on CCTV) these young lads go at this old fella full tilt, safe in the knowledge that their little mates are right behind them to back them up. Pathetic. These turds should be taught a lesson, life in prison, no chance of parole for at least 20 years. This is not how you handle a situation as trivial as what has been reported.

I take the point that bouncers are very often <deleted> the world over, but it is I would wager VERY RARE (and is something I have never experienced in the UK) to see 3 doormen attack an older male over a trivial issue such as this, when there is seemingly no prior violence or attempt of violence. Doorstaff in the west are at least often trained, and while many are looking for a ruck, there are also some decent and restrained guys out there who will do their utmost to defuse a situation, again - 3 against 1 / the difference in age - nah, not something that you're likely to witness where I'm from. In Thailand it is common place and it makes my blood boil, if that were my relative then I would be looking for the scum that felt they could do this in the full knowledge that they WILL GET AWAY with it, as lo and behold they have done, again typical airhead Thai judiciary asking no questions in an effort to subvert an unfavourable PR situation. Well, as others have said, these reports to filter through to the outside world and they do cost this country, more so each time they happen. 

The attitude toward tourists is at times staggering here. As an industry that is responsible for approaching half the economic output / GDP - directly or indirectly - Thais really can't afford to be this complacent. 

Exactly right, they are and they DESERVE to be too. 

How are you comparing severely beaten to 1 punch by 1 person ?

6 minutes ago, richsilver said:

1. This incident happened 17 months ago.  Why is it being posted now?  2.  He could not have called 911 as this does not work in Thailand.

And why would a Brit call 911 (the American number), If any number, a Brit would call 999.

12 hours ago, donnacha said:

That he tried calling 911 just minutes before the attack suggests that he was the victim of a billing scam. As certain parts of their tourism industry collapse, desperate bars seem to be resorting to this stuff more frequently, and asking for evermore ridiculous amounts.

These thugs are a tiny minority that ruin it for the vast majority of decent people. Sadly, in Thailand, the entire society is structured along those lines too.

I no longer expect any common sense from the authorities in Thailand, but a smart country that did not take its tourism industry for granted would crack down hard on this stuff. Each of these reports in the victims' home countries sends a deeply negative message about Thailand, reversing millions of dollars of "Amazing Thailand" marketing. Look at that photo, he looks like a decent, happily married guy and is a veteran to boot. This story, including the shameful Thai court verdict, will run in almost every American newspaper and news channel, ten of millions of people will hear about this. These incidents are expensive for Thailand.

On entry, I would give every tourist a welcome card containing 24hr emergency numbers manned by competent English / Mandarin / Korean speakers. Hell, I would even offer an "Emergency Button" app that would instantly send their location to the local police.

Exactly!

I could not have said it better.

9 minutes ago, BestB said:

How are you comparing severely beaten to 1 punch by 1 person ?

Because the context is very similar. Isn't that obvious? The difference is the matter of degree and the circumstance that stopped this from escalating into what happened to my pal.

My old mate was attacked by a group or 3 or 4 Thai men who were half his age, this guy was too, over something similarly trivial. The difference is my friend was able to stay on his feet and because of this sustained a beating, before an intervention and eventually being left alone. 

This man was knocked over with one punch and remained down. If he had been able to fight back then I'm willing to bet that the unfair match up of 3 against 1 would have continued and the beating would have been a lot more severe. In this case one punch, the man's (assumed) inebriation and him hitting the back of his head on the road was enough.

As usual, a poor innocent happy married guy went to a go-go bar and got out looking for a fight. Figuring that he would have it easy with those small gnomes. But this time he felt and knock his head. Killing him... Gnomes 1 - Army veterans 0...

That's the way the cookies crumble.

9 hours ago, BestB said:

1. Thai doorman are not on steroids

2. Have you ever worked on the door? to state should be restraining someone who is raging,  swinging and bigger than you in size and body weight? Its little different to Steven Seagul movies ????

Compared to the bouncer and his cronies the victim was an old boy. They just took liberties with him like bouncers often do.

I've seen the CCTV video and did not see the victim throw any punches worth mentioning. The bouncer appeared to purposefully club the victim's head hard with the base of his fist.

3 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Because the context is very similar. Isn't that obvious? The difference is the matter of degree and the circumstance that stopped this from escalating into what happened to my pal.

My old mate was attacked by a group or 3 or 4 Thai men who were half his age, this guy was too, over something similarly trivial. The difference is my friend was able to stay on his feet and because of this sustained a beating, before an intervention and eventually being left alone. 

This man was knocked over with one punch and remained down. If he had been able to fight back then I'm willing to bet that the unfair match up of 3 against 1 would have continued and the beating would have been a lot more severe. In this case one punch, the man's (assumed) inebriation and him hitting the back of his head on the road was enough.

Do you see in the video thai guy trying to follow up? Or even attempting ? Do you see second guy circling ?

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Compared to the bouncer and his cronies the victim was an old boy. They just took liberties with him like bouncers often do.

I've seen the CCTV video and did not see the victim throw any punches worth mentioning. The bouncer appeared to purposefully club the victim's head hard with the base of his fist.

Maybe you watched a different video, i see him (foreigner) try to hit and miss the Thai first after that the Thai tries to hit and connects and fals over the guy.. End of fight. One punch thrown that misses (by foreigner and first) then the counter from the Thai connects and they both fall over.

He might be an old boy but he was heavier. I dont get it old guys here always complain about age discrimination and then when this happen they are all saying he was old. How can you have it two ways. 

3 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Look again, yes he did throw a punch but missed , right in the beginning 

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Do you see in the video thai guy trying to follow up? Or even attempting ? Do you see second guy circling ?

Yes! I see two guys attacking an older man and 3rd little runt coming to abet them seconds later. The VET may have thrown the first punch as he was being rushed at by two young doormen who were obviously aggressive - that was a mistake - did it merit the outcome? Nope. 3 on 1 - could have been restrained without striking being involved.

'Trying to follow up?' - what is there to follow up on? The VET went down and stayed down. It isn't uncommon to see them put the boot in, but this guy was sparko on the floor. Again what is your point? Are you seriously attemping to defend these scum? The points I made are what's relevant, are you trying to deny this?

9 hours ago, BestB said:

It means when you do not have any personal experience it is not wise to make assertive statements basing on what your friend does.

You do not have a point for me to miss, you first assert Thai bouncers are on steroids and meatheads, which is clearly false and not only shows you have zero understanding about steroids but have even less understanding to notice all Thai doorman at gogo bars are too skinny, most likely do not even hit the gym let alone use steroids.

Then you make assertion based on what your friend does what and how doorman must work, yet you have zero personal experience doing the job.

You don't need 'personal experience' to know when a fit young man has taken liberties with a bloke in his 50s.

It's obvious to any fool with or without any 'personal experience' if they've seen the video.

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Yes! I see two guys attacking an old man and 3rd little runt coming to abet them seconds later. 

'Trying to follow up?' - what is there to follow up on? The VET went down and stayed down. It isn't uncommon to see them put the boot in, but this guy was sparko on the floor. Again what is your point? Are you seriously attemping to defend these scum? The points I made are what's relevant, trying to deny this?

Maybe we watching 2 different videos or maybe you inventing fiction to see what you want to see. 

Red Light districts are places where you can expect extreme (negative) behavior. Too bad that especially Pattaya seems to be proud of bars at every corner and even wants to extend the opening hours of these businesses. And where no bars exist they build new ones like the new big Tree Town Pattaya area in this in the middle of the city.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

You don't need 'personal experience' to know when a fit young man has taken liberties with a bloke in his 50s.

It's obvious to any fool with or without any 'personal experience' if they've seen the video.

You think 50 year old is weak or incapable ? Some strange 50 year olds you hang around with. 

50 year olds I hang around with , lift heavier than me and punch punching bags harder than me . 

4 minutes ago, BestB said:

Maybe we watching 2 different videos or maybe you inventing fiction to see what you want to see. 

Or maybe you should have gone to Specsavers? ????

Seems clear you don't see what I do. In any case, 3 against 1, even if the older man is larger, no cause for this kind of attack. Could and should have been handled better, then an innocent man would still be alive and his family wouldn't be mourning him. This kind of unfair fight is typical here in Thailand - it is well known to be the case too, and that was my point. 

Just now, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Or maybe you should have gone to specsavers? ????

Seems clear you don't see what I do. In any case, 3 against 1, even if the older man is larger, no cause for this kind of attack. Could and should have been handled better then an innocent man would still be alive and his family no grieving.

More nonsense . Where is 3 on 1, when only 1 punch thrown . 

Stop watching movies and imagining  and maybe you should consider premium optical stores instead of budget ones????

I understand about employment! However I'm of the opinion that these bars should all be closed or at least licenced and staff trained by police. The Bouncer had no right to hit this man and as a minimum should be charged with manslaughter or murder NOT GBH! I guess under Thai Law his sentance will be a two weeks adjustment holiday because he is a Thai national!

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

More nonsense . Where is 3 on 1, when only 1 punch thrown . 

Stop watching movies and imagining  and maybe you should consider premium optical stores instead of budget ones????

Wow, you're clearly in need of an eye test mate.

Look at the video again CLOSELY this time, and you will see initially 2 younger men attacking the 1 older one - both swinging - a 3rd one enters from off camera ready to assist SHOULD the older fella have kept fighting back, seeing him pole-axed on the floor and unable to fight back they leave it alone. What part of that scenario seems equitable to you? ????

11 hours ago, sanemax said:

I think that you will find that bouncers in all countries can behave violently , not just Thailand  

correct--and most of them are big, but have very very little in their heads..

it also proves the point-dont get into a fight--even one punch can be fatal..

2 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

I understand about employment! However I'm of the opinion that these bars should all be closed or at least licenced and staff trained by police. The Bouncer had no right to hit this man and as a minimum should be charged with manslaughter or murder NOT GBH! I guess under Thai Law his sentance will be a two weeks adjustment holiday because he is a Thai national!

Bars are already licensed. When the Thai guy was charged, the Brit was still alive (he died a year later), so it couldn't possibly be manslaughter/murder.

9 hours ago, BestB said:

According to OP, there were 2 and he threw the first punch in the air, which i assume means he missed

After watching the video, it's clear that the victim was trying to leave, but the 2 guys were not happy with it, and wanted to give him a lesson.

I don't really understand why someone would defend those thugs.

The family should have appealed. I dont know if the damage was from the hit or rather from the fall. But when more than one is attacking a man going backwards already the legal matter is clear (besides the fact that the security guys were cowards). A bar license cannot help here because those bars provide prostitutes which is illegal, so licensing them makes the licenser a pimp. Another question is: if he dialed the correct number, what took police so long, they are regularly nearby?

If the bar still exists, we should all boycott it and spread the word. Remember that by law if u are attacked by more than one you are in the position to legally kill your aggressors, not the other way round. No security job provides immunity.

Is this guy still working there, any fan of the bar here?

The civilized way to handle a bill dispute would have been to call the police. In fact it appears that's what the victim tried to do. The video doesn't make a case for self-defense. I'd be mildly surprised under Thai law if one is entitled to use physical force or deadly force to resolve a bill dispute. The sad thing is if you go into some of these establishments you're very  vulnerable. This story is really ironic in lieu of the constant blustering by immigration about how many farang are such a problem here.

Archived