Bangkok Subdistricts Prone to Flooding

One of the historical flood maps from "the big flood" of 2011, that area was definitely a bit damp.

Just how regularly each individual area floods now is unclear. Best idea would be to talk to potential neighbours, a 1m difference in elevation can be the difference between having a wet garden and having to move upstairs.

GISDA_Bangkok_under_siege.jpg

For the most part unless you are living right on the flood plain north of Bangkok, i don't think you are likely to get any sustained long flooding, unless there is a cock up like 2011 again, but in all reality that is highly unlikely for a number of reasons.

In most of urban Bangkok you will have certain micro locations and certain sois which are prone to flooding when there is very heavy storms, but this is more an inconvenience and slow drainage rather than flooding from water ways and river and the water just drains away slower than normal.

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I thought that Bangkok, like Venice, was below sea level and sinking slowly. You couldn't pay me to by a house there.

No 3 in the world for cities on the at risk list. But no doubt the pro-active Junta-led government will devote huge amounts of intellect, expertise and money well in advance to mitigate these risks. 

• Haha 1

The water of the gulf of Thailand is getting higher.

Also when you look around one sees more and more places getting flooded in Greater Bangkok/Bangkok and Samut Prakan area.

When you read the media you also read the same problem is getting worser.

We live in the Tawewattana area of the Nonthaburi district of Bangkok and we flooded in 2011.  As I understand it, this was because of some mismanagement of the stormwater system and that the errors made then will not happen again ;^).  They have also installed a new stormwater system in the surrounding streets.  We had about a meter of water in our house, but no damage.  Moved all the furniture upstairs and the teak doors, floors, and concrete walls suffered no damage.  Took the cars to a hotel and stayed there until the water subsided.  Still a mess to clean up though.