Shower trap/drain... Thai vs Western

banagan

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It should go into a separate system, that depending on where you live could feed into the same leach field as the black water septic tank, for us it just feeds directly into the banana plants.

if you are feeding into the black water system then that system will not have enough time to do it’s job 

Thanks for the info. The existing house has two tanks, covered by concrete, that I now assume are pump-out as there are no obvious outlets. I did not know why there were two tanks but have not had to pump out after 1 year with a family of 4.

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

Normally black water and grey water is separated here (in Thailand). Often a separate drain-tank/cesspool for grey water.

You might have three different sewers for a house here: black water septic tank and drain-tank/cesspool; grey water drain-tank/cesspool; and rain water drain-tank/cesspool, if rain water is not collected in a tank for reuse.

I was used to all going into the one tank back home. Can you tell me if they use a grease trap on the grey water.

total piece of cack, you need a 2  inch u  bend and thats  all unless you can add an air  vent as  well as I did in my photo when I  built....all parts  easily available  and if  you cant get the ready made bends you can easily  mkae  your  own with  sections

IMAG1022.jpg

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, canopy said:

Building codes typically require the trap to be positioned directly below the drain.

My two bathrooms are back to back and the drains are connercted under the flooring> put the trap on the outside where it could be dug up if necessary.  Where I live in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields , the klast house on a dirt and gravel road there are no building codes.  If there are no one enforces them as I didn't even have to get a building permit.  When it came to hooking up the electric, fortunately the lastb pole on the road is/was in front of my house, they gave us the meter screwed to a board and long bolts to attach it to the pole.  The local sparky installed it.  PEA did come out and look at the installation after the house was finished before they lowered the rates.

25 minutes ago, Chazar said:

total piece of cack, you need a 2  inch u  bend and thats  all unless you can add an air  vent as  well as I did in my photo when I  built....all parts  easily available  and if  you cant get the ready made bends you can easily  mkae  your  own with  sections

IMAG1022.jpg

Yep!  If you can find that gradual 180 degree joint that's the thing to use.  I made mine out of 90 degree elbows and the one, oand only time,  That the water was running slow it was a bitch to get a hose through it to clean it out but I finally did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

Thanks for the info. The existing house has two tanks, covered by concrete, that I now assume are pump-out as there are no obvious outlets. I did not know why there were two tanks but have not had to pump out after 1 year with a family of 4.

Standard Thai system (not good but standard) you may well never need to pump it out. Our old house has been 14 years with no pump out.

But usually the shower, washing, and washing machine water does not go into them

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

I was used to all going into the one tank back home. Can you tell me if they use a grease trap on the grey water.

Grease trap would be advisable for kitchen drain(s).

From experience, especially in Thailand, use big size pipes for kitchen drain, and make sure you have access to the sewer pipe for flushing og mechanically cleaning the pipe between house and tank.

I had these made each side of the house with 45 degree bends, so a cleaning-wire-tool can get inside, or you can use a high-pressure hose...

wDSC07293_drain-cleanouts(600w).jpg.bde4ac5b9186d05d953676e86afce46a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chazar said:

thats  all unless you can add an air  vent as  well as I did in my photo when I 

nice idea, at the same time gives an access to unblock the pipe when needed.
Will need a syphon under the sink though.

9 hours ago, wayned said:

If there are no one enforces them as I didn't even have to get a building permit.

Same here. This is precisely the reason why I find it so important to learn and follow building codes because otherwise it's the blind leading the blind. A building code is a cook book recipe to build something that is safe, long lasting, and works well. That's what I want out of the box for whatever i do. Building codes are like little treasure chests of knowledge our father and their fathers made for us. And boy did they sure know a lot. For any work I do whether structural, plumbing, electrical, or what have you it sure feels good to use their extensive, time proven knowledge as a starting point.

Edited by canopy
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, lopburi3 said:

Actually they work very well if as shown in post 3 and if water is in them and the cover is attached correctly to be below that water level.  Grey water should never run to septic tank however - do you have the proper vents on toilets and tank?

Where should greywater go?

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Where should greywater go?

To ground.  In cities most will go into normal drainage systems but at farm you could use a separate leach field or attach to overflow of septic tank (when using nor two cement tanks).  You just do not want that extra water in the actual septic tank as it would limit bacteria action.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 8:24 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Standard Thai system (not good but standard) you may well never need to pump it out. Our old house has been 14 years with no pump out.

But usually the shower, washing, and washing machine water does not go into them

Where does the greywater go?

At my rental house it goes under the road and dumps into a low area in a field. When it rains and fills up the area the drain is blocked and the bathroom smells from the shower drain. My landlord came out and installed a vent fan and put a vertical vent in the pipe outside.

P traps are a mystery to Thai builders although there is one under my kitchen sink. Another sink in the bathroom doesn't have one.

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

P traps are a mystery to Thai builders although there is one under my kitchen sink. Another sink in the bathroom doesn't have one.

They are not a mystery to most Thai but bathroom type will be as below.

image.jpeg.2277b9905be4ffc39b27fc4050c5d117.jpeg

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Another sink in the bathroom doesn't have one.

They are usually quite simple to add.  The Home places have them as well as most other plumbing supply.  Just make sure the threads on the trap match that of the drain.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Just make sure the threads on the trap match that of the drain.

You also have to buy according to length from sink to horizontal - they make longer vertical pipe versions to keep the vertical pipe below the horizontal if outlet too low on wall if using the bottle type.   

Edited by lopburi3

16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Agreed, almost all Thai places I’ve seen have the traps showing above. The only problem is that most people buy on price (I do the same but in reverse) and get a sink fitting and trap for under ฿200 that will usually work if it’s never disturbed, made from the cheapest, thinnest material with pressed threads. 

A good one will look like this.

78937CF5-3ACE-45E1-96FD-26AFCCA2D445.jpeg.d84f7f4235707a819f9e0153de239c34.jpeg78F47710-075C-4314-AAF8-77D04712A822.jpeg.c78af06f51e2a2bef1c07e8e59ebcfe0.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You also have to buy according to length from sink to horizontal - they make longer vertical pipe versions to keep the vertical pipe below the horizontal if outlet too low on wall if using the bottle type.   

Also the length of the horizontal will vary. One of the best fittings from the Crome horizontal to a horizontal pvc pipe is a compression fitting like this.

D7089AAE-15D2-4E3B-ABF1-DCCF6FC4EDD3.thumb.jpeg.3f8a6388063e80283a450999e253cf71.jpeg

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You just do not want that extra water in the actual septic tank as it would limit bacteria action.  

Yes, but only if the septic tank is too small (typical). A septic tank should always be sized to the inflow. Sizing charts can be found online. To each his own, but unlike the typical Thai method of a small tank with blackwater only and splitting the grey water to a separate system, I prefer sending all grey water and black water to a large septic tank. This simplifies and improves the system in a number of ways. In my case I want to capture, treat, and utilize all household waste water. So I send the secondary treated waste from the septic to where it flows subterranean through a gravel trench with bog plantings that treats it quite thoroughly. The tertiary treated waste then outlets to a crystal clear and clean barrel pond. Such a grey water wetland system is beneficial to the environment creating a unique area rich in nutrients and moisture year round to the benefit of many plants and animals large and small. And it's especially maintenance free; no need to ever call up those nasty pumping trucks you see running around everywhere that will just dump a truck load of human waste somewhere it shouldn't go.

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

and  often made out of the thinnest  possible metal  known to man, where the threads disintegrate with just a slight tightening

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Agreed, almost all Thai places I’ve seen have the traps showing above. The only problem is that most people buy on price (I do the same but in reverse) and get a sink fitting and trap for under ฿200 that will usually work if it’s never disturbed, made from the cheapest, thinnest material with pressed threads. 

78937CF5-3ACE-45E1-96FD-26AFCCA2D445.jpeg.d84f7f4235707a819f9e0153de239c34.jpeg78F47710-075C-4314-AAF8-77D04712A822.jpeg.c78af06f51e2a2bef1c07e8e59ebcfe0.jpeg

where did you get the good  one? 

5 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The simulated cast metal these are made from, is their weakness... eventually cracks and crumbles,as if it was chrome plated plastic left out in the sun.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

The simulated cast metal these are made from, is their weakness... eventually cracks and crumbles,as if it was chrome plated plastic left out in the sun.

You are thinking of the cheap ones. This is machined and about 4 to 5 times the price of the cheap ones.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

where did you get the good  one? 

AFIR it was HomePro, but if you look for ones over 400~600 Baht most of the usual places have them, I think.

It could have been this oneBut more likely this oneOr even this one

Any reason for this ?

have fitted 3 bathrooms all connected to the standard Thai ring tanks, BUT all the pipework have inline traps fitted so no smells 

All the waste from the house bathrooms, kitchen go to these tanks, on the small houses to only one tank, on the bigger house , have two tanks linked . Only emptied once in almost 10 years so far

Seems crazy to have pipe just emptying  unto the ground around the house as most thais have

I Europe there is no problem with different solutions but mostly depended of water inside the drain. If no water it smells. In Thailand water evaporates fast. But there should be a solution because I slept in many hotels in Thailand and they never have a smell in the bathroom