Shower trap/drain... Thai vs Western

banagan

13 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Thais do not use p-traps said an done. My gray water has one system while the toilet has another, also remember there is no vents for anything more than likely you will suck any trap dry because of the lack of vents

Traps are common in new construction (OK - maybe not in the upcountry hut) for a long time.  They do not get sucked dry due to lack of venting.

I wouldn't rely on Thai construction advice. When we had our house built the contractor refused to put insulation in the ceiling (to keep the house cool during the day). He said no need in Thailand. Bull poop. the only cure for odors in the bathroom is a plastic seal-able bag filled with water and placed over the drain when not in use. The other non "S" traps all fail in short order. At least that has been my experience.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:05 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Looks like a normal drain to me - the kind that lets the smell come in.  Others have posted a few different types of trap drains available, but can't remember where.  Boonthravorn would be a good place to check.

Edit: Just noticed that thing on the bottom.  What does that do?

Blocks the stink. Gas and fumes (and the ever present cockroaches) from travelling up the pipes. I had all 3 bathrooms refitted with these. 

I recently fitted some P traps to both our bathrooms and our laundry, a fairly easy job for me as our house is built up 1m and I can access under the house, I bought the P traps from Thai Watsadu and from memory they were just over 200 baht each, plus a few fittings and some glue and job done........................originally they had the pipe going direct from floor drains direct to the tanks, as you can see in the pic it now goes through the P trap and then back to the tank...................

Plumb.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 3:26 PM, banagan said:

I need a low profile trap.

What about something like this?

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 3.25.29 PM.jpg

Make your own. 

A couple of 90 degrees elbows joined and a few bits of off cut blue pipe. 

They consider it in the same way as a stench pipe 

Mai bpen rai...

• 1 month later...

The main issue with these Thai traps is that the depth of water seal is insufficient and it will often evaporate allowing foul air (and mosquitoes) to pass. The minimum depth of water seal should be 50mm to be effective. The Thai gully provides little more than 10mm. I have also found the grill is very prone to blocking with hair as others have mentioned.

35 minutes ago, Jonathon said:

The main issue with these Thai traps is that the depth of water seal is insufficient and it will often evaporate allowing foul air (and mosquitoes) to pass. The minimum depth of water seal should be 50mm to be effective. The Thai gully provides little more than 10mm. I have also found the grill is very prone to blocking with hair as others have mentioned.

It used as intended it will not evaporate in most locations here before more water is added - it is our wanting dry bathroom rather than normal wet bathroom that is at issue.  For shower drain there should not be any such issue  There are Thai traps deeper than the normal that should help for general floor drain and adding a shot from the bum gun every day or two will keep even the normal trap full.  Yes hair can be an issue but is very easy to clean/remove without the need for chemicals or boiling water and the drains do not get blocked.

Edited by lopburi3