Entry strategy in light of recent issues

Since the start of 2019, I've had 24 days visa exempt, 60 days on a SETV and will have completed 80 days over two trips on a METV when I leave for the UK next week.  I will return in December when I plan to change to a Non O followed by retirement.  I'm nervous that I will be refused entry and have thought about booking a flight for the following day to Laos or Vietnam thinking if they see a 1 day stay marked on my TM6 I'm more likely to be admitted.

If this happens and I'm stamped in for 60 days and I change my mind about the onward travel the next day, are there likely to be any recriminations?

Edited by treetops

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension, get a single entry Non O visa before leaving the UK. This is anyway easier than the conversion from a tourist entry.

I have wondered before about what would happen if you said you were only transiting through Bangkok. My guess is that it would work. I do not think there is any mechanism for punishing you if you "change your mind" about taking your onward flight.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

If this happens and I'm stamped in for 60 days and I change my mind about the onward travel the next day, are there likely to be any recriminations?

No.

It would be best in your situation to get a Non O before travelling.

2 hours ago, treetops said:

Direct answer, probably not.   Travel plans change.

Two issues, what if you tell them you are in transit and leaving the next day....and they only stamp you in until your flight out? Now you are in Laos, or wherever, with the same problem of entering Thailand. Plus, issue two, since still on that METV per your plan, you still might run up against the unwritten 180 day rule.

If you want to use your plan, and not get new type visa in UK, I recommend to have a flight out in 10 days or so, not immediate .... and execute your plan to change to Non O followed by retirement as quick as you can.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

No UK State Pension.

You don't need one. As long as you can show a min of 10K in the bank for at least 3 months or a bank statement showing a private pension.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner,
  • or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension,
  • or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, La Migra said:

Direct answer, probably not.   Travel plans change.

Two issues, what if you tell them you are in transit and leaving the next day....and they only stamp you in until your flight out? Now you are in Laos, or wherever, with the same problem of entering Thailand. Plus, issue two, since still on that METV per your plan, you still might run up against the unwritten 180 day rule.

If you want to use your plan, and not get new type visa in UK, I recommend to have a flight out in 10 days or so, not immediate .... and execute your plan to change to Non O followed by retirement as quick as you can.

Yes, I'd have to get the 60 day stamp for things to go as planned, but if I got stamped in for a day I'd leave then come back overland where there appears to be no issues.

I understand changing to Non Imm O visa then extension requires 3 to 4 weeks so not easy to plan and would be a lot more than 10 days in the best case.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:07 PM, elviajero said:

You don't need one. As long as you can show a min of 10K in the bank for at least 3 months or a bank statement showing a private pension.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner,
  • or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension,
  • or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

I only have £5K in my "visa application" account as that's what I needed for the METV, and insufficient time to load it up.

I have emailed the London Visa office to request guidance on whether private pension income can be used if between aged 50 and state pension age.   Some of the consulate websites say this is an option and some exclude it.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, BritTim said:

If you are in receipt of a UK state pension, get a single entry Non O visa before leaving the UK. This is anyway easier than the conversion from a tourist entry.

I have wondered before about what would happen if you said you were only transiting through Bangkok. My guess is that it would work. I do not think there is any mechanism for punishing you if you "change your mind" about taking your onward flight.

Why would a UK state pension have any influence on the situation. Its only about 7k BPS a year. I dont understand your advice.

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Why would a UK state pension have any influence on the situation. Its only about 7k BPS a year. I dont understand your advice.

It is not the amount, but a requirement to get the Visa. 

•  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

I stopped in suvannabum on me way to kl,you have to go through passport control & get your baggage & flight,i have had lots of visas & thought wouldn't let me in but did,i put on staying 4-5 hours but they gave me 30 days,i lost my onward flight ticket when i was filling the form out so went to thai airways office ( who i was flying with) & explained,the sourfaced woman demanded B8000 for another ticket,i told her where to go in my pigeon thai & booked another flight online about B1200

16 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Because if you get a state pension of any amount you qualify for a non O based on retirement. In fact any pension is acceptable. I e mailed the London Embassy and was told just that proof of any private pension was acceptable.

The best strategy is entering through land border.

If you are flying international. Do Not fly into BKK. Fly into Laos first.

You enter Thailand through the Land Border with your Visa. Then fly to Bangkok via Domestic flight.

I just got a brand new METV from when I went back to my home country and activated it at the land border with no questions asked even though my passport is full of tourist visas for 2 years

Edited by acenase
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OP here again.

As suggested by many, I applied for and have now received a Non Imm O Visa, Single Entry, based on a private pension, valid until 14th Feb 2020.  My existing METV, valid until 21st Jan 2020, has not been marked as cancelled or anything else.  I am due to arrive at BKK on 7th December 2019 and have a return flight booked 59 days later.

Does it now matter if I get stamped in for 60 days on the METV or 90 days on the Non Imm O given my intention to obtain a Retirement Extension?  Will it make any difference to the procedure for the extension or the timing for doing this?  Will it limit my ability to travel outside Thailand at all during December/January, or even February if I lengthen my trip?

Any advice or comments appreciated.

34 minutes ago, treetops said:

Does it now matter if I get stamped in for 60 days on the METV or 90 days on the Non Imm O given my intention to obtain a Retirement Extension? 

If you enter the country using the METV you will not be able to apply for the extension. You would have to leave and re-enter the country using the non-o visa to get the 90 day entry from it.

Best to use the non-o visa when enter the country.

If you wanted to leave the country you could get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder the 90 day entry valid when you enter the country using it.

• Thanks 1