Toyota Camry - Gasoline or Hybrid?

ThaiBob

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Did you enjoy the hybrid when the cvt is screamints tits off? I prefer real gears, thanks. BTW the 1.6 diesel is not an "old engine" It superseded the 2.2 diesel. The 2.4 is extremely reliable, by the way, as it has been though a number of interations. 

Of course the hybrid will be faster, but I would by a civic turbo is I wanted to drive fast anyway. 

CVT uses the perfect torque spot throughout forward motion...

On 11/6/2019 at 2:39 PM, wjhall said:

But ask  a dealer for comparison fuel economy figures for the two models and they can't tell you. Same with Honda. Just "oh the hybrid is better".  Same if you ask for 0-100 kph times ...can't tell.  

Ask Ford if the Focus , Fiesta or Ecosport are still on the market or will be returning no answer!  

They have a strange way of selling cars here.

It's got a lot to do with the incompetence of the sales staff. 

If they learnt more about the product they would have more information for you. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, VYCM said:

It's got a lot to do with the incompetence of the sales staff. 

If they learnt more about the product they would have more information for you. 

I think the iPhone comes first at dealers..If one asks questions about an iPhone, you will be astounded by the info......????

• Haha 1

This lady will answer your first question really well:

To the 2nd Q: in Thailand only a dealer can give you an official answer. If the sales person claims ignorance make them do their job.

In NZ the retail price for a new battery is about NZ$ 6000. This search brings up some interesting results: https://www.google.com/search?q=nz+prius+battery+repair.

The hard part will be finding a reliable battery refurbisher in Thailand, if you don't want to pay the Toyota price.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 6:43 PM, beddhist said:

I say this because in 2010 I was looking into buying a 2nd hand Leaf in NZ and I found there was at least one company in Auckland already advertising battery and computer refurbishing.

Oops, make that a Prius hybrid.

5 hours ago, beddhist said:

If there was anything dodgy about hybrids taxis would not use them. In NZ about every other taxi is now a Prius. Much better fuel economy in cities. Not much use for highway driving.

But they are like UK mini cabs, put a zillion miles on them, then sell on....Just a couple of years old...

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, beddhist said:

If there was anything dodgy about hybrids taxis would not use them. In NZ about every other taxi is now a Prius. Much better fuel economy in cities. Not much use for highway driving.

On highways the car in front was always a Toyota. Holding every-one else up. Particularly on upward inclines.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

R

On 11/10/2019 at 7:36 PM, alacrity said:

On highways the car in front was always a Toyota. Holding every-one else up. Particularly on upward inclines.

Media report from 2006 regarding hold-ups travelling East from LA. I aways assumed it was due to semi's and never really cared when I got past.

A rhetorical comparison of how good hybrids are could be the historical difference between BETAMAX and VHS video recorders. BETAMAX was by far the superior technology, yet the cheap and cheerful VHS was the most popular. Purely due to marketing strategy.

Hybrids are a nonsense, when compared to fuel cell technology and oddly the USA is way ahead.

Edited by alacrity
spacing
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, alacrity said:

R

Media report from 2006 regarding hold-ups travelling East from LA. I aways assumed it was due to semi's and never really cared when I got past.

A rhetorical comparison of how good hybrids are could be the historical difference between BETAMAX and VHS video recorders. BETAMAX was by far the superior technology, yet the cheap and cheerful VHS was the most popular. Purely due to marketing strategy.

Hybrids are a nonsense, when compared to fuel cell technology and oddly the USA is way ahead.

Why are they a nonsense?

• Like 1