Marriage visa, Use a service or do it on my own?

I am from the US, marrying a Thai lady soon. We used one of the services to take care of our documents for the marriage. Should I use them for my Thailand marriage visa or is this something I can do on my own? I have many things to learn about the rules and regulations in Thailand. We are going to start a business in Isaan after the marriage is complete.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

Kind Regards,

Joe Malik

• Haha 1

I'm asking this because I don't know the answer, and not for any agenda on my part...

Is a marriage visa the best option if the guy's planning to start a business with his Thai wife, or is there an investment visa option that will allow him to legally participate in that business?  Can he get a WP on a marriage based visa?

I realize that timing and finances may limit him to a marriage based visa/extension this time, but what about the long term?  Being from the US, he's got some (Amity Treaty) options that aren't available to other nationalities...

Edited by impulse

I am going to do the same thing like you.  I have asked lots of questions here and doing some research.  From the marriage to the extension of stay.  I don't plan to throw my money away with an agency when I can do it myself.

• Like 2

Mr. Joe,

It's a personal choice and it's up to you. As a first-timer, I would advise getting help, then next time you will know exactly what to do. Some offices can make it difficult on you. Many expats use agents just for the convenience while others do it themselves to save money. There's no right or wrong way... To each his own...

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Pond2019 said:

. We are going to start a business in Isaan after the marriage is complete.

Cynical Skally here, been married twice, once to a Thai lady.

If going into "business" with spouse, best to run the business for a year before getting married.  Running a business together changes things, same as living together.  Best take it slow and see how "compatible" you are and how living in Issan suits you is my 2 cents.  

Assuming you haven't lived together or run a business before or lived in Issan full time before.  

Good Luck, Happy life to you and yours.

Also learn about the importance of not losing "face" in Thailand !  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

Of course, if you’re time isn’t worth anything and you have literally nothing else to do, roll the dice, waste your time. But if you’re time is valuable (and it should be because it’s the only true asset you have), the

It really comes down to this: Do you want to spend TIME or spend MONEY?

Do you sleep?   1/3 of your life most valuable assets are gone then (though cannot live without sleep)

I worked for 45 years making money.  The few hours I have spent at immigration, getting a bank statement, and putting my paperwork in order every year, saves me 15,000 - 20,000 baht (agent fee) 

In my view it is well worth it as I never made $100 an hour on a regular basis and that is approximately what it would cost me. 

But appreciate your philosophy and view on time and money. 

Regards

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

You don’t “throw money away.” You use agents so you don’t throw your time away.

Of course, if you’re time isn’t worth anything and you have literally nothing else to do, roll the dice, waste your time. But if you’re time is valuable (and it should be because it’s the only true asset you have), then it doesn’t make sense to waste a second of it dealing with Thai BS and risk not getting the visa. 

You can do Thailand the easy way or the harder and often risky way. Your call.

It really comes down to this: Do you want to spend TIME or spend MONEY?

I can always make more money but I can’t make more time. Neither can you.

The question was should you or shouldn't you use an agent.  I have my reason why you shouldn't.  Then you attack me because of my opinion.  Seems you are here just trolling and trying to find someone to argue with.  You are a waste of  time.  Just don't bother answering my reply.

It is easy to do it yourself. The only hard time is the first time because there is more involved in it but even that is easy even with the new laws. All an agent is going to do for you is tell you what documents you need and arrange for the witnesses who must know you and your wife. You will still have to supply the agent with the all documents and the photos and everything else and the agent will present them to an immigration office and charge you a hefty fee for doing it. The 1 year extension based on marriage will cost you 1900 baht if you do it whereas if you use an agent you are looking at a starting fee of around 19000 baht or even higher in some isaan areas. I did my own and it was easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we all know Immigration offices around the country differ in what is required but here is a guide on what you will need. do it yourself and you will be satisfied in your achievement,as someone already pointed out the first time is the worst but after you will have learnt how you can do it. This list is from Trat province.IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.c46a7da6dafaf9790322f2919954cd04.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.395f91bbf626fb20c47a303c63b3d212.jpg   Save yourself $ 650 and go for it.

On 11/4/2019 at 2:35 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. Also the income from working can be used to meet the 40k baht income requirement.

If married to a Thai the extension based upon marriage is the best option if working.

I am just starting my research as well on my specific situation.

This reads to me that if married to a Thai national, you are automatically entitled to apply for a work permit?

I wish to get involved in a food related business, but only for the period of high season at max 6 months per year - the remainder I will spend in my home country where I also earn an income, but again seasonal - luckily the seasons do not overlap between each country.

My business in Thailand will in effect be a 'pop up' within a Thai friends existing business. I wish to be 'hands on' (rather than just the concept creator with Thais doing the 'hands on' work) so it seems a work permit will be needed, but as stated I will only be on the ground in Thailand for part of the year.

I suppose my initial question, based upon the above quote, is whether I can automatically apply for a work permit based on my circumstances, if married to a Thai national.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, saltrock said:

I suppose my initial question, based upon the above quote, is whether I can automatically apply for a work permit based on my circumstances, if married to a Thai national.

it is not automatic to get a work permit.

The company would need at least 1 million baht in registered capital and 2 to 4 Thai employees.

• Like 1

You gain nothing using an agent.

The agent collects your documents. You hassle providing these. Collecting them is the hassle and you'll do it for the agency. They really do nothing.

Once together you or they hand the docs over.

The agent brings you to immigration. You're an adult married to a Thai. You get get there on your own. You and wife must appear for extension.

Savanakhet. You need to go to Lao. Might as well go to embassy see how it's done. Or what? Sit in your hotel room?

Both visa in Lao or extension in Bangkok is a one page form in English.

Using an agent takes more time, you learn nothing, it's more expensive and really kinda stupid if you really think about it.

Highly advise against business in issan unless you're going to give her 250k for some little shop. In fact my advice, stay away from it yourself. Better yet. No business. Move her to Bangkok where she can make 10-12k. You can hang out somewhere NOT in issan. If you have a degree you may be able to teach bringing in 35-75k per month. Something to do. Offset spending. But not a business in issan bro. Personally, I think a WP for some little business is next to impossible and like UJ stated needs capital AND Thai employees!!

Edited by Number 6

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

it is not automatic to get a work permit.

The company would need at least 1 million baht in registered capital and 2 to 4 Thai employees.

Thanks UJ.

I think B1m capital and 2/4 Thai employees is the same requirement for a work permit, even if not married to a Thai national?

Therefore is there any benefit to being married when applying for a work permit based on my circumstances as set out above?

Not married at the moment, but is on the cards for next year.

6 hours ago, saltrock said:

I think B1m capital and 2/4 Thai employees is the same requirement for a work permit, even if not married to a Thai national?

If not married to a Thai it is 2 million baht of registered capital and firmly 4 Thai employees.

Getting a work permit is not the big of a factor. Being able to get a visa or extension of stay is much easier to get if married to a Thai than those based upon working.