Top food myths Brits believe to be true

webfact

Top food myths Brits believe to be true

David Buckley 

It seems that eating celery does not burn more calories than you take in – but it must be a close call

food.jpg

There are many misconceptions surrounding food and drink and there is no shortage of stories filling our media about what is – and isn’t – good for you. It is very difficult at times to know what you can believe.

For example, there are those who will say that red wine, in moderation, is good for the heart. It’s the in moderation bit that always gets me. I assume the experts are not saying you should get a bottle down you on your own each evening.

I am not a greater lover of red wine. It takes all sorts. But I would concede that people who grow up in wine-producing regions appear a darn sight healthier than we Londoners. Note the emphasis on the word “appear”.

Deciding what is true is no simple task. And it is made no easier when you add into the mix some of the myths instilled in us at an early age.

There’s many an old wives’ tale handed down to us by, well, old wives – namely our mums. Keen to get to the bottom of this AO.com, in partnership with Hotpoint, polled 2,000 people to reveal the top old wives’ tales that Brits believe to be true when it comes to food.

What they discovered was that more than one-in-four (30%) said that they believe if an egg floats in water then its no longer safe or fresh to eat. This myth took the top spot on the list. It may be a myth, but it isn’t just mum telling you this. Check out the internet. It’s full of videos floating ideas of how to check egg freshness.

As, I say, it’s difficult to know what to believe.

The egg float myth was followed by 22% who believe it to be true that rice should never be reheated and a further 21% who said they think raw vegetables are better for you than cooked vegetables. I could have sworn this was true!

Is organic better than non-organic? You decide

One-in-six (17%) believe bread that is kept in the fridge lasts longer, followed closely behind by 15% who said they assume organic food is healthier than non-organic. If that is a myth, what are we paying extra for?

More than one-in-seven (13%) feel eating celery burns more calories than you gain by eating it, 12% said vinegar never goes off, and 11% said salt stops boiling eggs from cracking, while the same number (11%) also believe eating chicken soup cures a cold. Maybe it doesn’t, but it always made me feel better. Psychological, I guess.

Full story: https://londoninspire.co.uk/top-food-myths-brits-believe-to-be-true/

1RHcVpx.jpg

-- © Copyright London Inspire in Thailand

Follow London Inspire on Facebook

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, samjaidee said:

Here in Ho Chi Minh City my bread gets mouldy much faster sitting on top of the fridge than in the fridge.

Then you must have real bread there, i had thai breadrolls on the countertop for 6-7 weeks which didn't get mould.

Also i have grated cheese from california (foodland), opened bag, in the fridge for 6 months but still no mould.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

the daily rags still promote booze as healthy despite the rampant alcoholism passed on from generation to generation, the power of the breweries reigns over all..  

Not everyone drinks to excess and is a victim of rampant alcoholism. Some people like a glass or two of wine or beer and don't fall over. Perhaps you don't know that.

• Like 1

One my mum used to say is If you don't eat you crusts your hair will go curly, I have always eaten my crusts since and never had a curl.

I think it is a Myth but always adeared to it.

19 hours ago, Thian said:

Then you must have real bread there, i had thai breadrolls on the countertop for 6-7 weeks which didn't get mould.

Also i have grated cheese from california (foodland), opened bag, in the fridge for 6 months but still no mould.

I make home bread and it doesn't get moldy even after weeks. It only dry out. I keep it in a wood box. 

images (6).jpeg

On 11/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, webfact said:

wine, in moderation, is good for the heart

A little wine is good for the stomach but not for the heart.

if an egg floats in water then its no longer safe or fresh to eat.

Such an egg can still be eaten, use it in making scrambled eggs or an omelette, but first it is preferable to crack it into a bowl and smell it to determine if it is off or not.

rice should never be reheated

Rice, like pasta can cause serious health problems if not stored after cooking or if it incorrectly re-heated as with both foods there a virus can spread and cause food poisoning and possibly death.  This point was recently in the headlines in the States as a student died as a result of eating incorrectly reheated pasta.  Most Asian food outlets cook rice then recook it but they do at at high temperatures.

raw vegetables are better for you than cooked vegetables. 

Many root vegetables release more vitamins and other nutritious content when cooked that when eaten raw, but few people eat and enjoy things like raw potatoes.

bread that is kept in the fridge lasts longer

Bread, if wrapped correctly can be kept for long periods in the freezer.  If just left in the refrigerator, the bread will become dry as the cold temperature removes moisture from the bread the same as hanging wet washing on the line in the winter.  Remember when people back home use to keep their bread in bread bins and it never went mouldy?  That was when bread was not mass produced and sold in plastic bags and contained no added preservatives, enhancements, etc.

salt stops boiling eggs from cracking

Adding salt to water when boiling eggs does not stop them from cracking.  However, an old wives tales that is true is that if an egg starts to crack while it is boiling then remove it from the water and heavily dowse the crack with salt and carefully replace it in the water.

21 hours ago, samjaidee said:

in Ho Chi Minh City my bread gets mouldy much faster sitting on top of the fridge

That is because of the high humidity helping the bacteria grow.

'nuf sed.

21 hours ago, Beggar said:

and the brain. 

Below is the explanation given by Cliff, the postman and bar regular in the series “Cheers” to Norm as to why beer is good for you. 

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

• Thanks 2