Issue with A Dealership

Alright, so I can just get down to brass tacks here. My fiance (Thai) just purchased a "brand new" (1st hand) test driven car from an official Mazda dealership. Now, when we went to test drive the car, it had 10,000+ kms on the odometer. Even before going to test drive it, the saleswomen said it had 10,000+ kms. Now, here's where the issue lies. When we went to pick the car up, I was absolutely astonished to see over 100,000+ kms on the odometer. I got out of the car and politely confronted her, the saleswoman, about this and she apologized because she forgot to tell us that "In order for them to sell the car, they had to change the odometer up to this number for insurance purposes." Now, in defense of them, I did the math. This car was shipped to Thailand in July 2017. From then until now, even if it was test driven 10 kms a day for the 2 years and 4 months it's been here, it would be nowhere near 100,000 kms. 

This just throws up all kinds of red flags to me, someone who has bought and purchased cars from both dealerships and second hand shops in the US and who has dealt with similar situations like this. What I am trying to ask is if anyone else has encountered a situation like this before? That is too big of a difference in kms for the price we are paying for the car, a 2018 Mazda 3 SP Top Model, to ignore. 

Edited by English for Nursing

Take pictures of everything then contact Mazda and the finance company see when they think about this, but on no account accept the car or their story. 

The finance company wont be very pleased either, they are supposedly financing a brand new car not one with 100,000k on the clock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Sales woman has lied through her teeth and told you absolutely anything to get a sale. 

Do not accept the car.

Question though: Did you ever see 10,000 km on the car? 

It sounds like she never even seen the car,and just believed what the car dealer said !!!!

regards worgeordie

22 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It sounds like she never even seen the car,and just believed what the car dealer said !!!!

regards worgeordie

he clearly states in the op

Now, when we went to test drive the car, it had 10,000+ kms on the odometer

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, English for Nursing said:

"In order for them to sell the car, they had to change the odometer up to this number for insurance purposes."

They are trying to get a lower insurance premium by the car suddenly being 'older'.

The downside is your manufacturers warranty will expire 'sooner'.

There's no need to accept either the dealers's or the finance companies insurance.

But all a moot point. Get Mazda head office in on this dealerships fraud and work towards giving the car back and getting a refund.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

They are trying to get a lower insurance premium by the car suddenly being 'older'.

The downside is your manufacturers warranty will expire 'sooner'.

There's no need to accept either the dealers's or the finance companies insurance.

But all a moot point. Get Mazda head office in on this dealerships fraud and work towards giving the car back and getting a refund.

Presumably there is no service history for the vehicle, and with 100k on the clock there will be no warranty either.

Seems a very high price to pay for just a cheaper insurance premium!

• Thanks 1

As the OP is not complaining about the condition of the car, just the mileage shown and if this, highly unlikely, tale is accurate, with no omissions, all that has to be done is the dealer has to adjust the odometer back to the 10,000kms it was before.   And no insurance company adjusts the premium down based solely on a higher-reading odometer.

• Confused 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:37 PM, English for Nursing said:

We couldn't really back out as this was right after we got done signing all of the paperwork, contract and all. 

The contract was signed before "the odometer was adjusted" up 1000% so how is that not a reason to refuse the car until the reading is corrected?