Kawasaki Versys 650

hithere

Thinking about buying a Kawasaki Versys 650, adventure bike, could be great around Phuket also on the small roads outside Phuket, any have this bike? Anything to be aware on that model, i was thinking to buy GS model, just forget it, hard to get it service and hard to get parts, Versys can be fixed everywhere

2018 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS LT SE.jpg

• Like 2

A pretty sturdy bike. The engine has been proven for many years. Bang for buck really not bad in Thailand. Personally I am not a fan of the 180 degree crank. Just can't stand the sound of the engine. Probably OK if keeping the original exhaust which is nice and small. I don't think there were huge super recent updates. The last major one was a bit in the past, 2 years maybe? I would therefor look into the second hand market. Huge discounts to be had in Thailand now.

Alternatives to consider: Honda Africa Twin (though that is receiving a big update now and maybe a big tax hike as well and there Versys is much cheaper and a bit lighter) and the new Tenere 700 from Yamaha whenever it comes to Thailand. You are well reasoned in skipping the GS in Thailand. The Ducati Multistrada 950 might be worth considering as well. But there I would definitely do a test ride and check if the heat is an issue. The dealer in Phuket is pretty decent now.

I would wait until the Motor Expo in December and see how the Thai market changes. Also the EICMA is starting in 2 days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

From what i've read, the Suzuki 650 v twin is a far better bike, especially the XT version with spoked tubeless wheels.

And even better, if you can wait until Feb-Mar-April next year, is Yamaha's Tenere 700, which will blow these bikes out of the water, as well as most of the competition.

There is a Suzi big bike dealer in Phuket but I always wonder how good they are. I hardly ever see any on the road and I would worry about the dealer network around the country, it is not very strong. I like to have a good dealer network for a touring bike that will be taken to all kinds of places. No doubt though that 650 V-Twin in the Suzuki is well acclaimed albeit getting a little bit old. Wonder if they will update it anytime soon. EURO 5?

• Like 1

I think there is nothing wrong with this bike. You should compare it with bikes like a Honda CB500X / NC750X, Suzuki Vstrom or Ducati Multistrada, to decide which one is the best for you.

You should understand that you can divide the "adventure class" in two categories, bikes which are made nearly exclusively for the road (this is the Versys and other which i suggested), and adventure bikes which have some offroad capabilities (of course they are still made mainly for the road). The offroad capable bikes are usually easy to spot because they have a 21 inch front wheel (For example Honda Africa Twin, Triumph Tiger 800 XCA, BMW F850GS)

Of course you can take a Versys offroad, but that's definitely not what it's made for, and you will soon notice problems with the suspension and the ground clearance.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

No doubt though that 650 V-Twin in the Suzuki is well acclaimed albeit getting a little bit old. Wonder if they will update it anytime soon. EURO 5?

They are great little engine. Making just short of 70 hp. Good enough to pop the front wheel on throttle alone without having to bounce them up or pop the clutch. So in the Wee-Strom they easily handle getting over logs and through ruts.

Only Problem with the DL is that they get a substantial import tax placed on them and they really don't complete with the local Honda 500 X and the Kawsakis on price.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I think there is nothing wrong with this bike. You should compare it with bikes like a Honda CB500X / NC750X, Suzuki Vstrom or Ducati Multistrada, to decide which one is the best for you.

You should understand that you can divide the "adventure class" in two categories, bikes which are made nearly exclusively for the road (this is the Versys and other which i suggested), and adventure bikes which have some offroad capabilities (of course they are still made mainly for the road). The offroad capable bikes are usually easy to spot because they have a 21 inch front wheel (For example Honda Africa Twin, Triumph Tiger 800 XCA, BMW F850GS)

Of course you can take a Versys offroad, but that's definitely not what it's made for, and you will soon notice problems with the suspension and the ground clearance.

Thx, gonna do 90% riding on pavement roads, just need a comfortable bike, got a Harley Ultra Glide now, to damn heavy at Phuket, my legs burning after 20 km at Phuket roads, not easy in and out between cars on that one 

Thx guys, keep it coming 

Plenty time to find the right bike, think i will buy "something" around January.

Keep the thoughts coming, you never know, i could end up with a R1 with K2 panniers ???? doing back roads Chiang Rai 

• Like 1

Here is an interesting link to small adventure bikes currently for sale, I am most interested in the Terene 700 myself. be aware of that extra tax will be added to big bikes from next year, 100k baht on +1000cc bikes:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/small-adventure-motorcycles-for-sale/

Edited by guzzi850m2

15 hours ago, taninthai said:

I had a go on a Honda 500x and hated it yes it’s smooth but really lacking power.

Well it was a lot faster than my CRF hard work trying to keep up. ????

Try the Suzuki or Yamaha then.

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Here is an interesting link to small adventure bikes currently for sale, I am most interested in the Terene 700 myself. be aware of that extra tax will be added to big bikes from next year, 100k baht on +1000cc bikes:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/small-adventure-motorcycles-for-sale/

The problem for me is in and around village/town 250/300 bikes OK but personally hard work and boring on going for 3 - 10 day trips. 

What's that extra tax gonna been on my 900 then ?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

in 2015 I bought new Versys and have toured 35,000 kilometers all over Thailand with it.

It is a great bike. I travel all over alone on my bike and I needed a extremely reliable motorcycle. The suspension is great. I am 64 so I need a comfortable sitting position for a long ride.

The Versys is also very quiet which I like. 

Very low service costs. There are many Kawasaki service centers all over Thailand. Total non scheduled maintenance in five years so far, one replaced headlight, one turn signal lamp, one battery, one new chain and sprocket. 

I replaced the stock tires with Pirelli Scorpion II tires and it made a huge difference in the handling. (for the better).

One thing about having a bike this size, it is not a scooter. So zipping to the market for groceries on your Versys can be a bit of a challenge. and you need to be tall enough to hold it up. I am 6 feet tall. and the center of gravity is higher with the large gas tank when it is completely full.

good luck with your bike choice.

The Versys is on top of my list right now, as you say you can fix it everywhere in Thailand, i got my Harley Ultra Glide for shopping ???? just kidding, got a Honda Forza around town, we use to ride from Phuket to CM every year for bike week, my Harley is number 5 in Thailand, to damn big for Phuket now, sold my DRZ 400, i regret sometimes.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, taninthai said:

I had a go on a Honda 500x and hated it yes it’s smooth but really lacking power.

Yes, they are underpowered, but you get used to them. They would never be referred to as inspiring, though. Two up can be a little cumbersome when at highways speeds and you want to overtake. You need to tap dance on the gear lever a bit to get them moving.

But to get through traffic and chew up miles they go alright. And they are suprisingly nimble in the twisties. I've had mine cranked over almost to the end of the rubber on stock road trail tyres. More due to poor posture by me from tiredness after multiple long day rides than from truly high speed though. But even so, the bike is compliant.

23 hours ago, hithere said:

The Versys is on top of my list right now, as you say you can fix it everywhere in Thailand, i got my Harley Ultra Glide for shopping ???? just kidding, got a Honda Forza around town, we use to ride from Phuket to CM every year for bike week, my Harley is number 5 in Thailand, to damn big for Phuket now, sold my DRZ 400, i regret sometimes.

Try them all if you can. The Kawasaki will be the most entertaining of engines in the local bikes. Maybe it will come down to comfort for you. What feels best?

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1