Escape Routes from Paradise

swissie

19 minutes ago, malibukid said:

KL has great food and shopping. fantastic  infrastructure makes getting around easy.  but it gets hot and muggy after 11am. 1st class symphony.  Bali is just heaven outside of the tourist zones.  again better western food than you could find in LOS.  lovely and welcoming people.  great beaches if you get outside of Kuta.  you don't have to put money in the bank in Indonesia to obtain a long term visa.  they will accept SS documents.

And if I have no SS documents because I'm not American?

14 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"for those left out to dry by their embassies"...….. How were they left out to dry? You mean because the Embassies stopped lying for them in regards to their income? No, the embassies didn't leave them out to dry. They did that to themselves.

So you think that only three nationalities have ever told porkies about their income? Thailand must do because they stopped bothering after they'd got the UK,US and Oz embassies to stop issuing letters.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Hiding out in Thailand, for many fugitives from justice in their own countries, has become problematìc because of the use of facial recognition scanners...

There is no longer a safe place to hideout...your time is up!  ☠

Oh, I'm not convinced that facial recognition scanners are all that effective - after all, don't we falangs all look the same?????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You mean most of the people that out of any criminal history or other dubious reasons have to run away from the States?

Thank you. I am here in good measure due to being out priced in the USA. There are many working middle class retirees here from the capitalist western countries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Thank you. I am here in good measure due to being out priced in the USA. There are many working middle class retirees here from the capitalist western countries.

You are talking about Thailand, right? I quoted a post about the situation in Mexico, and why so many US citizens run away to that country.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sniggie said:

So you think that only three nationalities have ever told porkies about their income? Thailand must do because they stopped bothering after they'd got the UK,US and Oz embassies to stop issuing letters.

Nothing to base this on. I think the British were totally abusing this. Not in numbers but in percentage same for Oz. Then some CM, Pattaya dead enders from US. This just my impression from the months of crying and whinging on the forum.

Edited by Number 6

2 minutes ago, sniggie said:

And why not? My eight letters that were issued to me since my arrival in Thailand as a retiree were bona fide and issued against bank statements and letters from my three pension providers.  Why are all the other embassies different? I have my opinion on the matter, what's yours?

Depends where you are from. A lot of folks that came to Thailand from the US didn't have the needed funds and a simple verbal "verification" (i.e. oh yea, I have the funds/income) from the farangs to the embassy was enough to get them the letter even tho they didn't really qualify. If you had verifiable proof of income then you did things the right way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

You are talking about Thailand, right? I quoted a post about the situation in Mexico, and why so many US citizens run away to that country.

Then I got it wrong, thinking about here in Thailand, sorry. Hmmm, upon reflection many of the millions of Americans living elsewhere in retirement are doing so for the same economic reasons. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, malibukid said:

KL has great food and shopping. fantastic  infrastructure makes getting around easy.  but it gets hot and muggy after 11am. 1st class symphony.  Bali is just heaven outside of the tourist zones.  again better western food than you could find in LOS.  lovely and welcoming people.  great beaches if you get outside of Kuta.  you don't have to put money in the bank in Indonesia to obtain a long term visa.  they will accept SS documents.

Bali is the true LOS, the people are really friendly and courteous unlike the Thais nowadays....BUT.....the roads are clogged so travelling is a nightmare especially in the South, East and North are better options IMO. Also it’s getting dearer every year and the local food is fairly boring so you’re more inclined to go for Western food. Thailand is cheaper in many ways and the roads are generally very good. Just need more sensibility from Immi.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Then I got it wrong, thinking about here in Thailand, sorry. Hmmm, upon reflection many of the millions of Americans living elsewhere in retirement are doing so for the same economic reasons. 

Sure they do. Most people in the world are good people that just want to create a good and pleasant life and get as much as possible with the means they have.

I was just commenting out of the reason Mexico is a well know hideout and a traditional place to run to for US criminals that wish to get away from the law. However, criminals all over the world run everywhere. So, your reflection is totally correct. ???? 

19 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Because it's familiar. Exact reason I never made it down further south than Mexico. It's all just pretty much California. Half of SA living in California.

Boring

• Haha 1

Just for the record imo Bali ain't half of what's being written about it. Further, the Balinese are long gone. Next, it's no longer cheap and alcohol is obscenely expensive now. Finally, can come and go forever on two months visa but annual renewal is a nightmare.

Bahasa is easy. Balinese not so much.

I prefer Raja Ampat but it's $$$ and poor value but world's last reefs.

12 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Phobia is an irrational fear, fear of Islam and a dislike of it's culture is entirely rational and justified.

I've heard it said that Britain will be a Muslim country under sharia law in the next 50-75 years.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Since it is obvious Malaysia is a Muslim country, it wouldn't be worth considering as a retirement destination for most westerners.  Thailands decline as a retirement destination appears to be picking up speed rather rapidly, lol.  Thank you for pointing out my insensitive comment regarding Muslims. 

You do realise that 'Muslim' countries are not all alike right , just as ' Christian ' countries can be very different.

Indonesia has the largest muslim population in the world , didn't stop us westerners whoring , drinking and partying in Jakarta for the last couple of hundred years.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I won't live anywhere I can't buy a bacon sandwich for breakfast.

That rules out a lot of Isaan then !

Many moons ago , in my Kibbutz days , there was hushed talk of an impending boar hunt the following weekend.

Lo and behold , on the saturday night I was invited to a discrete pig roast , this in Galilee lol , funny old world 

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

So you simply regard it unsuitable because of muslims. Its multicultural and practice whatever religion you want or not.

I first wanted to live in thailand but after many stays there and malaysia i chose malaysia. No real language issues. Feel more welcome. Can do anything here that i did in thailand.

Actually, Islam is demonic, so up to you.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

You do realise that 'Muslim' countries are not all alike right , just as ' Christian ' countries can be very different.

Indonesia has the largest muslim population in the world , didn't stop us westerners whoring , drinking and partying in Jakarta for the last couple of hundred years.

You are right, some are worst than others. 

I am staying in Thailand as long as the decision remains mine, That is to say not decisions made by Government bodies that make my stay impossible rather than undesirable or more difficult, as perceived.

The situation for me is that I came to Thailand in 2003 for the weather, the lower cost of living and the people. Those basic criteria are still present and therefore no reason to think of leaving! The things that irritate me here are not enough to seek possible less irritation elsewhere.

Thailand can be Paradise or Hell dependent only on the style of thinking. It isn't Paradise for me but I am happy and contented here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, malibukid said:

Bali is just heaven outside of the tourist zones.  again better western food than you could find in LOS.  lovely and welcoming people.  great beaches if you get outside of Kuta.  you don't have to put money in the bank in Indonesia to obtain a long term visa.  they will accept SS documents.

I hear there is a tax on any money brought into Bali. Anyone know more about this?