Boris Johnson accused of cover-up over report on Russian meddling in UK politics

webfact

PM accused of cover-up over report on Russian meddling in UK politics

No 10 refuses to clear release of report into Russian political interference before election

Dan Sabbagh and Luke Harding

BoJo.jpg

File photo//REUTERS picture

Boris Johnson was on Monday night accused of presiding over a cover-up after it emerged that No 10 refused to clear the publication of a potentially incendiary report examining Russian infiltration in British politics, including the Conservative party.

Downing Street indicated on Monday that it would not allow a 50-page dossier from the intelligence and security committee to be published before the election, prompting a string of complaints over its suppression.

The committee’s chairman, Dominic Grieve, called the decision “jaw dropping”, saying no reason for the refusal had been given, while Labour and Scottish Nationalist party politicians accused No 10 of refusing to recognise the scale of Russian meddling.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

-- The Guardian 2019-11-05

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What's the difference between Johnson and Trump? Not a hell of a lot, it seems, at least when it comes to Russia and election interference.

The only reason that I can think of for not releasing the report is that it'll likely hurt him and his party.

"...O what a tangled web we weave..."

One can eat a burget the other elocute  ????

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Nothing new here and the Russians will never stop; using a Western invention to hurt us. Smart, those russkies!

"The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them."

- Lenin

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

What's the difference between Johnson and Trump? Not a hell of a lot, it seems, at least when it comes to Russia and election interference.

The only reason that I can think of for not releasing the report is that it'll likely hurt him and his party.

"...O what a tangled web we weave..."

What's the difference between Trump and Obama when it comes to interfering in UK politics - nothing! They both do it openly. Only one promises carrots the other promises the big stick!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Both the US and Russia both meddle in the affairs of the UK desperate to get it to separate to weaken Europe. If i was a Brexiteer and knew that Thrump and Puttin wanted the UK to leave the EU id wonder if it was really such a good idea to go.

Although, to be fair the globalist pawn Obama meddled to try and keep the UK in the EU. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

UK Tories / US Republicans.

Both on the same track, not easy to find differences.

The ultra right on the march in both countries. I'd even support Thatcher over Trump and Johnson.

Never thought I'd ever be saying that.

The links between members and organizations within the Trump campaign and Brexit, the Tories, the Leave Campaign, the ERG  and Russia are a matter of public record.

Which I suspect is why this report is being hidden.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Although, to be fair the globalist pawn Obama meddled to try and keep the UK in the EU. 

. . . which is probably why a majority of Bolshie Brits voted to get out! Trump should learn his predecessor's mistake.

• Haha 2

Russia collusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Omg...how can we stop this....

Bring on Bobby Mueller asap.

How about GCHQ...are they protecting us for godsakes??????

What monumental tripe.

Russia meddles in US.  US meddles in Russia.  etc etc etc 

If the US or UK did NOT meddle in Russian life, we as taxpayers would be entitled to ask where our sodding tax money was going.  That's what they are SUPPOSED to do... poke their noses into each other's business.  Mutually assured bullsh!te....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, blazes said:

Russia collusion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Omg...how can we stop this....

Bring on Bobby Mueller asap.

How about GCHQ...are they protecting us for godsakes??????

What monumental tripe.

Russia meddles in US.  US meddles in Russia.  etc etc etc 

If the US or UK did NOT meddle in Russian life, we as taxpayers would be entitled to ask where our sodding tax money was going.  That's what they are SUPPOSED to do... poke their noses into each other's business.  Mutually assured bullsh!te....

There is one certain way to prove whether or not this is ‘monumental tripe’.

Publish the report.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

That could be one of the main reasons,  people voted for brexit .

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What's the difference between Trump and Obama when it comes to interfering in UK politics - nothing! They both do it openly. Only one promises carrots the other promises the big stick!

Obama never interfered in a uk election.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Grieve,as always, is motivated by his obsession to remain.

It doesn't matter whether it is Grieve or Santa Claus who submitted the report on behalf of the HoC committee. 

The topic is why can't we see it, is it a cover up - to put it simply.

The Duke of Wellington had it right "Publish and be damned". Of course he meant his detractors, in this case it may be Bojo who fears he will be damned.

(Yes I know I'm using "be damned" in slightly different ways).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

It doesn't matter whether it is Grieve or Santa Claus who submitted the report on behalf of the HoC committee. 

The topic is why can't we see it, is it a cover up - to put it simply.

The Duke of Wellington had it right "Publish and be damned". Of course he meant his detractors, in this case it may be Bojo who fears he will be damned.

(Yes I know I'm using "be damned" in slightly different ways).

Blimey, is he a remainer too?

• Haha 1