Rees-Mogg says 'common sense' could have saved Grenfell victims

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Deliberately lying or just ridiculously gullible, in that you believe and repeat rubbish without checking your facts?

Kensington and Chelsea London Borough Council

The council has been controlled by the Conservative Party since it was first elected in 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_and_Chelsea_TMO

St Mogg turns out to be a total Gareth - who would have thought it. A man who if he could would forced raped women to bear the children of their rapist. 

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

was it not built under a labour council? or liberal democrats? and when have i insulted the victims or done any scaremongering?

Nope...under the Conservatives.

Conservatives have been in control of the council since 1964. Grenfell open in 1974.

It seems that some, shall we say, right wing members here, have a proclivity for just making things up as they go along. Throwing mud and hoping it sticks.

When challenged, they make up some other rubbish and try to deflect. 

Little doubt that even a single one of them would know anything about the Notting Dale area.

Orton Road with his "built for working Brits" rhetoric.

Perhaps they should read a little about Notting Dale and the Lancaster West estate, then stop their ludicrous habit of just making things up; https://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/notting-dale/

Les Ferdinand grew up on that estate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tebee said:

I'm afraid Boris Johnson and the Tories think the British public are thick, gullible, oiks. They think they can insult their intelligence and they'll all trot off and vote for him. They think he can stand in front of Downing Street and bluff and lie and lie and bluff and they'll all trot off and vote for him. 

Just like Cameron did to the electorate with his brexit referendum.

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Although it wasnt the "Tories" that said it . 

It was just one person who said it on behalf of himself only and he later apologised for his remarks .

Its wrong to put that quote down to "Tories" as it was an individual quote 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although it wasnt the "Tories" that said it . 

It was just one person who said it on behalf of himself only and he later apologised for his remarks .

Its wrong to put that quote down to "Tories" as it was an individual quote 

But it wasn’t just any Tory was it?

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But it wasn’t just any Tory was it?

It was one person speaking on behalf of himself and he wasnt speaking on behalf of the Tory Party .

So, Jeremy should have said *A Tory says......* , rather than "The Tories say......"

59 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was one person speaking on behalf of himself and he wasnt speaking on behalf of the Tory Party .

So, Jeremy should have said *A Tory says......* , rather than "The Tories say......"

Perhaps a few Tories should have called out RM for his obnoxious remarks.

Meanwhile the offense you take at Corbyn’s remarks is contrasted with your support for RM’s remarks.

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps a few Tories should have called out RM for his obnoxious remarks.

Meanwhile the offense you take at Corbyn’s remarks is contrasted with your support for RM’s remarks.

Eh , I havent been offended about anything .

I merely pointed out an inaccauracy in what Corbyn said .

???? I didnt get upset or offended 

I also didnt support Rees Moggs remark , once again its your inability to comprehend which is the problem 

Edited by sanemax
  • Like 2

Jacob Rees-Mogg’s suggestion that those who perished in Grenfell Tower lacked “common sense” was not a gaffe, as one BBC journalist declared. As Maya Angelou put it: “When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.” Here was a confession, an insight into a worldview steeped in a sense of class privilege and social superiority.

We don’t need to read between the lines: the Tory MP Andrew Bridgen has done it for us. When the BBC’s Evan Davis put it to him that Rees-Mogg was effectively saying: “I wouldn’t have died because I would have been cleverer than the people who took the fire brigade’s advice,” Bridgen did not demur, adding – after a sigh-filled pause – “But we want very clever people running the country, don’t we, Evan? … That’s a byproduct of what Jacob is, that’s why he is in a position of authority.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/06/gaffe-jacob-rees-mogg-grenfell-tories-votes

Image result for cap doffing

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Rees-Mogg himself says the opposite , he has stated that he would have done what all the other people did and stayed in the building as instructed .

But that is the exact opposite of what he said he would do in the offending interview:

On 11/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, snoop1130 said:

“And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do.”

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

But that is the exact opposite of what he said he would do in the offending interview:

He was talking about IF it happened today .Prior to the Grenfell fire , he would have done what the other people did and stayed in the building if he was told to by the fire brigade , but since the bad/wrong info  at Grenfell, he would now ignore what the FB says and leave the burning building, is what he meant 

Edited by sanemax

In his apology, Rees-Mogg said he had meant to say he also would have followed the fire brigade's advice at the time, but with hindsight it was clear the advice went against common sense.

"What's so sad is that the advice given overrides common sense because everybody would want to leave a burning building," he said in comments reported by the Evening Standard.

"I would hate to upset the people of Grenfell if I was unclear in my comments. With hindsight and after reading the report no one would follow that advice. That's the great tragedy."

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

In his apology, Rees-Mogg said he had meant to say he also would have followed the fire brigade's advice at the time, but with hindsight it was clear the advice went against common sense.

"What's so sad is that the advice given overrides common sense because everybody would want to leave a burning building," he said in comments reported by the Evening Standard.

"I would hate to upset the people of Grenfell if I was unclear in my comments. With hindsight and after reading the report no one would follow that advice. That's the great tragedy."

The quote you gave was from his subsequent backpeddaling interview which was not what he said in his original interview. The backpedalling interview was given purely to sate his "brainless plebs" as no one with half a brain could be expected to fall for that nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

The quote you gave was from his subsequent backpeddaling interview which was not what he said in his original interview. The backpedalling interview was given purely to sate his "brainless plebs" as no one with half a brain could be expected to fall for that nonsense.

He stated that its common sense to leave a burning building .

Do you agree with that statement or not ?

Or is it sensible to stay in a burning building ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

He stated that its common sense to leave a burning building .

Do you agree with that statement or not ?

Or is it sensible to stay in a burning building ?

He said that it was common sense to ignore the fire brigade's advice, inferring that those who did comply wit the fire brigade's advice on the night, had less brains than him. As he's a complete idiot, what does that make them?

Ah, I see what you're doing, using Mogg's backpedalling tactics. Doesn't work with me....I've got more than half a brain!

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

He said that it was common sense to ignore the fire brigade's advice, inferring that those who did comply wit the fire brigade's advice on the night, had less brains than him. As he's a complete idiot, what does that make them?

Ah, I see what you're doing, using Mogg's backpedalling tactics. Doesn't work with me....I've got more than half a brain!

So, with your bit more than half a brain , if you were in a burning building and the fire brigade told you to stay inside , what would your half a brain + tell you to do ? .

Difficult call, I would probably had stayed inside as I would have thought that it would have been the safest option because I would have trusted the FB 

Just now, sanemax said:

So, with your bit more than half a brain , if you were in a burning building and the fire brigade told you to stay inside , what would your half a brain + tell you to do ? .

Difficult call, I would probably had stayed inside as I would have thought that it would have been the safest option because I would have trusted the FB 

On 99.9% of occasions it would have been the right advice and I would have complied. The variable was the cladding and the speed that it carried the fire around the building, something that the fire brigade weren't initially aware of. If a tower block caught fire today and it didn't contain that type of cladding, the fire brigade would and do, give the same advice. it's been proven many times that it's the right advice.

Very dangerous and irresponsible for Mogg to advise the public to ignore the fire brigade's advice. Bloody idiot.

But, hey, what does he care? It's only brainless plebs going up in flames. Plenty more where they came from.

23 hours ago, tebee said:

Why does anyone, who isn't a rich b*stard, ever vote for the Tories ?

However that said ,

we do have working class, i wanna be a tory type , so sad ..

Know your place , in the class system..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1