Rees-Mogg says 'common sense' could have saved Grenfell victims

snoop1130

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Jacob was probably right, talking about the fire service. Problem is people stick to procedures even if common sense indicates people should be evacuated.

Even fire service have said in hindsight they should have been evacuated

Probably right about what?

Ahmed Chellat, 62, who lost five family members in the Grenfell fire, told the Daily Mirror: "What common sense is [Rees-Mogg] talking about? People died on the stairs trying to leave, they couldn't breathe.

"People needed help and directions, they tried to open doors and there was smoke everywhere. What is he talking about?

Probably best to make no comment at all, if you don't know anything of what you are speaking. That should have gone for Jacob too.

He would have done better to have just kept his mouth shut.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

has rarely been so apt. What a dolt!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Or is it you defending him because he’s a Brexiteer?

'

Although saying his comments were "ill-advised" can not be classified as "defending him "

Of course, you are welcome to believe that saying a person is  "ill advised" is actually defending someone 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Jacob was probably right, talking about the fire service. Problem is people stick to procedures even if common sense indicates people should be evacuated.

Even fire service have said in hindsight they should have been evacuated

In a well designed building fires do not spread from floor to floor. 

The cladding added to the outside of the building created the conditions for the fire to spread vertically. 

Either people knew that was a risk (ie they were aware of the hazard created by the cladding) or they were not aware in which case, remain in your room is good advice. 

The smoked clogged stairwells made that advice the only reasonable option. 

It was the cladding that vectored the fire between floors.

The decision to apply the cladding was excluded from the scope of the public inquiry.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although saying his comments were "ill-advised" can not be classified as "defending him "

Of course, you are welcome to believe that saying a person is  "ill advised" is actually defending someone 

When somebody makes an overtly crass and deeply offensive comment, especially in the contents of so many people losing their lives, then yes I say characterising their comments as 'ill-advised'  is defending that person. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When somebody makes an overtly crass and deeply offensive comment, especially in the contents of so many people losing their lives, then yes I say characterising their comments as 'ill-advised'  is defending that person. 

Do you disagree ?

Do you think that his remarks were not "ill advised"?

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No I don't think they were 'ill advised', I think they were a window into  his detachment from the lives of ordinary people.

I doubt he has ever even set foot in a tower block, and yet he pontificates on what people should have done in this tragedy. 

Utterly disgusting. 

OK, so as you dont think his comments were "ill advised", you must feel that his comments were wise and considered  ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Then change the system, so that there is no more need for envy.

There is never any need for envy; it's a personal choice, along with its siblings, resentment and bitterness.

There are undoubted inequalities around, and there always will be. Indulging in envy is the worst possible response to being on the wrong side of an inequality.

41 minutes ago, transam said:

What on earth are you talking about....You clearly do not like people who are way up the ladder from yourself...????

The 'Grenfell bonfire in the back garden' thread from a year ago will no doubt offer some perspective on the current faux outrage. It'll be interesting to compare views expressed there to those expressed here today (& NO I CAN'T be bothered to look it up but somehow don't feel i'll need to ???? )

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Not sure of all the facts in this particular incident but why should anyone apologise for being who they are? Should I apologise for being ozzie.

Apologise for having an education?

Apologise for being a hiso etonian tory?

You've lost me to be honest.

People are who they are.

Like you say, you are not sure of all the facts in this particular incident.

29 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

There is never any need for envy; it's a personal choice, along with its siblings, resentment and bitterness.

There are undoubted inequalities around, and there always will be. Indulging in envy is the worst possible response to being on the wrong side of an inequality.

While I would generally agree with you on this, envy is not always a personal choice.

The incitement of envy is a centuries old means to divide people for political ends and used used by politicians across the political spectrum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Complete <deleted>!  If people had ignored the FB advice and been killed he'd have said they shouldn't have ignored it.

He should get together with Baroness Lawrence who claimed the FB would've tried harder to save people if they'd been white!

With morons like those two we still wonder why the countries in a mess.

• Like 1