Rees-Mogg says 'common sense' could have saved Grenfell victims

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The stairwells were chocked with smoke, you would not have been able to leave. 

at what point were they "chocked with smoke"? perhaps they could have been evacuated early. The report concludes the staying put in their flats was a mistake

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

He seems quite good at it to me:

So you agree with his comments on this tragedy?

That in the face of dying, you should have the calm "common sense" to know the advice being instructed by the trained professionals coming to rescue you, is wrong and ignore it!

Hindsight - such a useful thing for politicians!

Tory campaign going off the rails.

It was announced a couple of days ago that Dominic Cummings won't be running the Tory election campaign. I didn't believe it for one minute. Now I'm not so sure. They claim that they are targetting "Workington Man". Yesterday's half page header, in the Telegraph, exhalting Britain's need to maintain a super rich elite and depricating Corbyn for claiming that they need reigning in, added to Mogg's gaffe, will not impress Workington Man on iota, so it is indeed possible that Cummings has been sidelined.

10 minutes ago, evadgib said:

He seems quite good at it to me:

21 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't think it is envy that makes people criticise Mogg, but, rather, frustration that we live in a society where many people automatically defer to those who were born into privilege. Mogg was brought up to believe that he was a leader of men and the rest of us have been conditioned to accept that. 

If we continue to accept it, we will continue to have people like Mogg, Johnson, Cameron etc make the major decisions in our lives, rather than actually being governed by competent, intelligent and capable people who have experienced life beyond their class bubble. 

Evadgib, you've clearly been well conditioned. 555

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, evadgib said:

The 'stick to beat him with' brigade will milk this simply because he's a brexiter. His comments were perhaps ill advised but he has subsequently apologized.

I wonder when he will apologize for misleading people over Brexit. 

We're waiting.

Rooster

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think one of the challenges for those who are required to draft emergency response procedures for the general public to follow is that there are so many various potential incidents to consider, and there may not be a 'one size fits all' approach.

In all my many years of working on oil platforms, one of the consistent mantras drilled into you is that in the event of an emergency, you must follow instructions and head to your designated muster point. One of the many sad facts about the Piper Alpha tragedy was was a significant number of the dead were found in their designated muster point inside the accommodation module; those who survived were the ones who ignored their training and fled. 

People are told they MUST follow procedures in many\all industries, not much scope for thinking outside the box. Fireman didn't adapt their thinking in this case. Many other people to blame though, who signed off the cladding, etc etc.

Having a go at Jacob is just political. Election coming up and remainers take every opportunity to stick a knife in

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

People are told they MUST follow procedures in many\all industries, not much scope for thinking outside the box. Fireman didn't adapt their thinking in this case. Many other people to blame though, who signed off the cladding, etc etc.

Having a go at Jacob is just political. Election coming up and remainers take every opportunity to stick a knife in

That is what I am saying - there are multiple ways a situation might arise and develop; procedures cannot possibly account for every possible eventuality. To blame the FB for not fully understanding the fast moving and complex situation is grossly unfair in my opinion. Mogg's almost 'natural selection' response was utterly crass and totally inept, and shows a lack of both empathy and understanding. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

That is what I am saying - there are multiple ways a situation might arise and develop; procedures cannot possibly account for every possible eventuality. To blame the FB for not fully understanding the fast moving and complex situation is grossly unfair in my opinion. Mogg's almost 'natural selection' response was utterly crass and totally inept, and shows a lack of both empathy and understanding. 

He was basically saying that "stay put" order by the fire service was a mistake, which is what the report says

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

He was basically saying that "stay put" order by the fire service was a mistake, which is what the report says

You can try to spin it any way you choose, but that is not what he said. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do.”

That is not only an implied criticism of the FB but a clear statement of his belief that those who followed instructions were, somehow, lacking in common sense. Hopefully neither you nor I will find ourselves in a situation where we need to make such a dramatic life or death decision, but to suggest that whichever decision you might take is an indication of common sense is appallingly insensitive and shows an utter lack of understanding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Right winger defends fellow right winger scoop.

An interview with a few survivors of this tragedy might be more instructive.

T N-D didn't defend any more than I did but as usual you've opted for poster rather than content.

Edited by evadgib

Jacob Rees Mogg does not have to do anything to get castigated by the lefties on here, a couple of years ago they were having a go at him for 'talking posh', the mind boggles.

It's like Jeremy Corbyn having a go at the elitists, when privately schooled millionaire Corbyn himself is part of the crowd that are elite.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Have you actually listened to the interview? I have.Rees Mogg showed poor judgement in one particular comment (for which he has apologised) but overall he was sympathetic and understanding about the Grenfell victims..

Yet your language indicates a view he is evil personified. It's not a view I share.

If he had any common sense himself he wouldn't have made the comment though !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1