O/A visa and insurance experience today

3 minutes ago, david555 said:

if they are difficult on this already , how they go treat the ones trying to change their non O-A to  the non"O".....? If they see started with the Non O-A

The thought did occur to me also, as this is exactly what I intend to do.

At the moment I'm feeling a bit trapped in Thailand as I'm not even certain I'll be allowed back in on my re entry permit.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

When you enter the country on an OA in your first year you get a permission to stay for another year which allows you to get up to 2 years out of it before extending.

Maybe I got this all wrong but as I understand it, your permission to stay will only be granted for the insurance period.

If your insurance policy expires lets say around the same time as your visa, how will you be able to get an extra year out of it unless you take out a two year health policy ?

So my first year is good but I'm guessing if I leave and return to stretch the O/A to a second year I will need the insurance, I will wait to see if anyone else with the same visa that expires sooner than mine reports their experience here.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Agreed-  even the Thai veresion states the order applies only to O-A Visa's issued after 31 Octobere 2019.  

How can a law/order/regulation apply to anyone who has a Visa/extension stamp  PRIOR to 31 October 2019.  This would make the change retroactive which in every country I have ever been- not only unfair but illegal.

If this is indeed the case- letters need to be written to the isuing Thai Embassy/Consulate with copies to the Foreign Minister- Ministry of Foreign Affairs and  the Health Minister-  Ministry of Health.   I can't remember if Thailand has an Attorney General but they also need to be notified.

Your reading it that way. 

The order states that it applies to OA visas. It also states that from the 31st October the following conditions will apply. 

Please highlight any text in the order which is not the way I describe, as I haven't noticed it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Strange that a policy with deductible should not qualify, as it offers a better protection against unpaid hospital bills, for example with THB 300,000 deductible it covers expenses up to THB 700,000. The only reason I can think of for disallowing is the lower premium for a policy with deductible and if a percentage of the premium goes into somebody's pocket this reduces that person's income.

I think it will be because they are worried that the insured won't be able to find the first 300k. They've decided that you must have a minimum of 400k coverage. They won't be happy if 300k of that is a deductible.

18 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

What I'm saying is this, lets say you leave and re enter on the 11th month of your OA, normally you get another year permission to stay at that point. But what happens if your insurance policy only has a month left on it ?

You get stamped in for only the time remaining on your insurance. It is going to be a  hassle for people who travel out of the country often esoecially if on short notice. If just making 1 trip towards the end of the visa period to get another year, you just make sure to renew your insurance before that. Modt policies can be renewed in advance of the actual expiration date 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

When you enter the country on an OA in your first year you get a permission to stay for another year which allows you to get up to 2 years out of it before extending.

Maybe I got this all wrong but as I understand it, your permission to stay will only be granted for the insurance period.

If your insurance policy expires lets say around the same time as your visa, how will you be able to get an extra year out of it unless you take out a two year health policy ?

You get a one year stay on each entry while the visa is valid. You get up to 2 years only if you leave and re enter just before the visa expires i.e. almost a year after your first entry  so just renew the insurance before that.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I was initially too but they just clarified this was a mistake. Can't take a deductible on a polucy issued to meet Imm requirements.

I was told this yesterday by the agent.  It is only on certain policies not all of them.  The Standard Extra policy they said I could.  The Standard Extra is not a imm policy.

Edited by Mango Bob

31 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Agreed-  even the Thai version states the order applies only to O-A Visa's issued after 31 Octobere 2019.

There are several documents out there about this health insurance requirement mentioning the date 31 October 2019. Which one are you referring to? Is it this paragraph in the Memorandum 0029.161/W 4603 dated 27.09.2019?

Heatlh insurance - 31 OCT onwards.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

they would be worried that a person who has been mandated to keep 400K in the bank wouldn't be able to find 300K? :blink:

Maybe they're worried that if you go below 400,000 then you will not be able to get another extension and then they couldn't force you to buy more insurance.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I was initially too but they just clarified this was a mistake. Can't take a deductible on a polucy issued to meet Imm requirements.

I was told this yesterday by the agent.  It is only on certain policies not all of them.  The Standard Extra policy they said I could.

This what is says on the policy for the Standard Extra which is a 50% discount on the policy cost.

ส่วนลดเพิ่มเติม (Discount Options) ผู้เอาประกันภัยรับผิดชอบจ่ายค่ารักษาพยาบาล 300,000 บาทแรก 300,000 Baht Deductible Option (You pay the first 300,000 Baht of your eligible medical expenses)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Maestro said:

There are several documents out there about this health insurance requirement mentioning the date 31 October 2019. Which one are you referring to? Is it this paragraph in the Memorandum 0029.161/W 4603 dated 27.09.2019

The doccument I refer to is the actual Police Order in English and Thai which gives the effective date as 31 October 2019 and states only applies to O-A Visa.

The other Memoranda  refer to implementation- such as the Embassy marking the passport with a note re insurance.  Others refer to extnesions but my thinking is that the extension requirements apply only to  an O-A issued after  October 31, 2019 as at some point the person may go out of Thailand and re-enter (show the insurance again) and eventually some will extend their stay for a year by going to  Immigration- since the original O-A will be dated after 31 October 2019- subject to insurance.

In none of the docucments I have read does it say the order applies to anyone having an O-A original Visa PRIOR to 31 October 2019.   If the intent was to make this order retroactive- IMO it would have to have some implementation memo saying that was the case.  Have I missed seeing this docucment and does it exist?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

What I'm saying is this, lets say you leave and re enter on the 11th month of your OA, normally you get another year permission to stay at that point. But what happens if your insurance policy only has a month left on it ?

In the case you describe you should expect the immigration official at the entry point to act in accordance with this paragraph of the Memorandum 0029.161/W 4603 dated 27.09.2019:

Heatlh insurance - second and subsequent entries.png