O/A visa and insurance experience today

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

Not according to the IO at Swampy. He is going to argue it out with IO at Jomtien today. I shall keep you informed

Jomtien said exactly the same....get insurance, go out of Thailand and come back.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Martyp said:

One of the many questions unanswered so far. I want to know the answer to this as well. You are going to the US April. Do you plan to return before July 27th?

Yes I am.  I am only staying for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Jomtien said exactly the same....get insurance, go out of Thailand and come back.

When I entered yesterday and started this thread, he told me the O-A wasn't valid without insurance he told me he would allow me in for 30 days to obtain insurance, I presume he meant a 30 day tourist visa , he told me to buy insurance and go back to immigration, he never said I had to leave and come back nor did he say he would deduct 30 days from my O-A. When I went back in the line to get the passport stamped by a different IO she gave me the year, I have to presume I was lucky or she made an error 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

have a look back through user 'Sheryl' posts she discusses it

Thks???? .no need for me to look back.

Pure speculation 

Non O are not required  to have Medical insurance

at this point of  time????or (IMO) in the near future 

2 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

When I entered yesterday and started this thread, he told me the O-A wasn't valid without insurance he told me he would allow me in for 30 days to obtain insurance, I presume he meant a 30 day tourist visa , he told me to buy insurance and go back to immigration, he never said I had to leave and come back nor did he say he would deduct 30 days from my O-A. When I went back in the line to get the passport stamped by a different IO she gave me the year, I have to presume I was lucky or she made an error 

Sounds like O-A Russian roulette... I don't have the stomach for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

When issuing a re-entry permit the IO cannot know (unless you tell him) when you plan to return.

So your Visa could still be valid on the day of requesting a re-entry permit, because you plan to come back after it expired.  And for that reason you would want to buy a re-entry permit which keeps your granted permission to stay 'alive'.

The above is not hypothetical, there must be many cases of Visa holders leaving just before the expiry date of their Visa and wanting to keep their permission to stay alive.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got a multi re-entry permit while my existing Multi Entry Non-O (Retirement) still had 1 month validity but I put the date down I was returning to Thailand as being after the Non-O ME had expired and deliberately did not return before then.

For anybody who's interested in why I did this, I wanted to time my extension to not interfere with a trip to the UK & as I only normally spending 5 days (twice per month) in Thailand I had to juggle it a little so I entered, got the Multi Re-Entry permit, left 5 days later then came back the day after the original ME had expired, left 5 days later then came back a few weeks later when there was 30 days to go on my Re-Entry Permit and extended that permission to stay (IIRC I did my extension on 19th August & my Extension runs to something like 18th September 2020).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Martyp said:

Even if you get a re-entry permit while in the first year of an OA visa I would question whether that is any kind of guarantee to avoid the insurance requirement. Why bother with this line of strategy? Just accept that getting an OA was a mistake. Cancel or void the OA then go through the process to get a non-immigrant O.

I don't think you need a re-entry permit in the first year of an O-A visa? However, that doesn't affect your main point which is that insurance doc is required now each time one wants to enter with an O-A visa. I had already abandoned applying for the O-A when I read the small print about not applying if not travelling within 3 months. I was one of those who thought they might beat the Oct 31 deadline. Still paid for a medical cert though. Never mind. Looks like single-entry non-I O for me as well now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

Yes, deductibles are acceptable.  You can get the Standard Extra Policy with a 300,000 deductible and a 50% discount on the cost of the policy.

I believe Sheryl has confirmed deductibles cannot be used and the insurance agent who said that simply didnt know the new OA visa regulations. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

This confirms that it is possible to buy a re-entry permit when your original O or OA Visa validity date has not expired yet. 

In my case the potential problem would occur when returning again BEFORE expiry of the OA Visa validity date.

And I would not be let in on it without having health-insurance.  

But I would be able to show the re-entry permit for my granted permission to stay.

So, it's either a) denial for having no health-insurance, or b) approval because of a granted permission to stay backed-up with a valid re-entry permit.

> As Sheryl pointed out already - a bold move, but will post my experience on returning.

Well good luck with that, though I don't fancy your odds. Plus, do you really want the stress every time now of going through immigration with those risks? A big cloud over any trip out and back. Plan B would I guess be how you manage things after they at least give you the 30-day entry.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

What are you talking about ?

I'm talking about tourists ..Not about people who marry a local ...

For nearly all countries in the world the maximum is 6 months for a tourist ..

And a few countries accept people can stay longer on, for example,  a one year retired visa .

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Pacific Cross does do full underwriting. AETNA might, I'm not sure. I think most of the others do not. For sure the on-the-spot folks don't. Caveat emptor.

How does one tell whether a policy is medically underwritten? I guess you have some idea by the extent to which they check your medical history.  Beyond that, is there some form of words in the policy or do you simply need to ask the company?

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The Memorandum for entry point officers that Maestro provided sheds some light on this; as worded it does seem to apply the effective date as the date of entry not date of visa issuance. If so there has been a major failure of communication between Imm and the MFA and its Embassies/Consulates as all of the latter seem to have understood the effective date to relate to issuance of visas. If the intent was to start requiring insurance of anyone entering after the 31st then the Embassies and Consulates needed to have started enforcing it at once, which they did not do. 

Why would embassys and consuls who issue visas, have strong information about the entry policies of IOs at the border or extensions incountry.. Its 2 different ministries and has had a long and inglorious history of being totally wrong and out of step with the on the ground reality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Would be a different matter for someone whose OA has expired and seeks a RE permit to maintain an existing permission of stay,

As the entry would be 12 months, going beyond the 12 months of the issue and expiry of the visa, it is possible to claim you intend to leave and return in that window of expiry of visa but validity of permission of stay (would be very different if it was a 90 day on a 1 year multi re-entry). So I assume it is possible to obtain a re-entry in that situation, if they will allow the re-entry to supersede the visa in the issue of insurance, when a visible active ME visa is there, seems a lot less sure. 

19 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I'm talking about tourists ..Not about people who marry a local ...

For nearly all countries in the world the maximum is 6 months for a tourist ..

And a few countries accept people can stay longer on, for example,  a one year retired visa .

Tourists are not being asked to get insurance or generally are here on long stay visas.. 

Tourists should get tourist visas.. This is about long staying resident.. 

EDIT my wife has a 5 year uk 'tourist visa' next time we will get the 10 year version. 

Edited by LivinLOS

14 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Well good luck with that, though I don't fancy your odds. Plus, do you really want the stress every time now of going through immigration with those risks? A big cloud over any trip out and back. Plan B would I guess be how you manage things after they at least give you the 30-day entry.

Thanks.

Sure, I do want to avoid the stress of re-entering Thailand and possibly being grilled or even denied for not meeting this health-insurance requirement on my original OA Visa. 

My planned trip is next week, so I do not have the time to switch to a Non Imm O Visa before that time.

If the re-entry permit plan works as I envision, it will give me the time (my granted permission to stay expires July 2020) to properly prepare and plan for the switch.

Of course I am presently researching the options for plan B when I would be denied entry on the re-entry permit.

For sure, I will not choose for the on the spot thai health-insurance offered but would then enter Thailand Visa exempt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Many Thks for  the links????

IMO .

Still speculation

at this point of time. For Non O  to have medical insurance and 7 months have passed since that Cabinet resoulation and only OA have been effected  

Edited by deej